Nitinat for learning

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nitinat for learning

Post by Bobson »

How is Nitnat for learning..?? I am in the midst of what seems to be a huge waterstart learning curve. Wouldn't mind somebody giving me even just a quick watch and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I don't mind paying if that's what it takes but haven't found anyone that gives lessons around here.

I usually sail at Island View until it blows more than 20 knots and then I'm in over my head(literally). I am using a Mistral longboard with at 6.0 or a 5.4 when it gets windier. I am a fairly big guy at 225 lbs. I have read everything there is in the magazines and on the Web about waterstarts but haven't quite got the hang of them yet. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

Nitinat is great fun but you can also learn waterstarting at Tugwell Creek, west of Sooke. I spent a lot of time thrashing around the shore brushing up on my water starts at the beginning of last summer. It was like starting over again. Good windy shallow part out near the point.

I have some windsurfing how to videos that you might find helpful that I may be willing to lend out or you may even find some at the library. They helped me overcome some learning obstacles.

The best way is to just ask people at the beach to spend a bit of time with you in the water.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Nitinat for learning

Post by bwd »

Bobson wrote:How is Nitnat for learning..?? I am in the midst of what seems to be a huge waterstart learning curve. Wouldn't mind somebody giving me even just a quick watch and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I don't mind paying if that's what it takes but haven't found anyone that gives lessons around here.

I usually sail at Island View until it blows more than 20 knots and then I'm in over my head(literally). I am using a Mistral longboard with at 6.0 or a 5.4 when it gets windier. I am a fairly big guy at 225 lbs. I have read everything there is in the magazines and on the Web about waterstarts but haven't quite got the hang of them yet. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I think I've seen you out at Island View on the longboard and the striped Mistral sail? It looks to me like you are at the advanced beginner stage now. It sounds like you've done all the reading and I would definetely recommend Nitinat for you. There are a few reason:

warm
lots of great people there that would be happy to give you pointers (for free of course)
other beginners there learning the same stuff
steady wind ranging from 4.7 to 6.0, but with lots of 5.5-6.0
gear to buy at good deals if you want to try a shorter board at some point
warm (again)
The local sailing (Isl View, Tugwell etc) is great but I think you would really benefit from a few trips to the Nat. You have done very well sailing at Isl View and it looks to me (from the webcam) that you have gotten lots of days there. What you probably need now is just some pointers. Waterstarts are hard to learn and it took me quite a while to get them. It is one of those things that suddenly clicks and then later you just do it automatically. In fact lots of people would have a hard time explaining one in words, but they could show you the key points in about 5 minutes. I started with beach starts and then slowly getting deeper and deeper...

Of course any time on the water is beneficial and I'm sure "Waterose" and others would give you lots of help out at Tugwell. Good luck and let me know if you need help with directions to Nitinat.

Keep sailing.

dave
FunkPusher

Post by FunkPusher »

Is Nitinaaattttt good for naked windsurfing? Is the water warm enough to sail in the buck or what? I like to sail in the nude most days. I found cook st and Jordan River to be a bit too cool for naked windsurfing......
Saaaawweeeeet
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

Waterose wrote:Nitinat is great fun but you can also learn waterstarting at Tugwell Creek, west of Sooke. I spent a lot of time thrashing around the shore brushing up on my water starts at the beginning of last summer. It was like starting over again. Good windy shallow part out near the point.

I have some windsurfing how to videos that you might find helpful that I may be willing to lend out or you may even find some at the library. They helped me overcome some learning obstacles.

The best way is to just ask people at the beach to spend a bit of time with you in the water.
Hey Waterose, I spend some more time in the water and keep on trying. I would greatly appreciate borrowing your video's as I have learnt most of what I know by watching at Island View and some programs on TV.

My number is 652-7847 at home and 387-4777 at work(Mon to Fri 8 to 4). I promise to return them to you in the same condition that I received them in. I will also check the library. Thanx!!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Nitinat for learning

Post by Bobson »

bigwavedave wrote:I think I've seen you out at Island View on the longboard and the striped Mistral sail? It looks to me like you are at the advanced beginner stage now. It sounds like you've done all the reading and I would definetely recommend Nitinat for you. There are a few reason:
Thanx BWD. What would you suggest as the best time take the trip to Nitnat. I have a faily new Ford Escape and didn't want it to get thrashed on the road there by Logging trucks or boards flying off vehicles(ha!).?? Weekday/Weekend, early or late in the day..??

I appreciate your input, it will help me huge this summer!! I am looking forward to a windy summer.(hopefully)
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

U R welcome to borrow them anytime. They are gorge classics with excellent instruction and tips in them and I still use them as I still thrash around a lot. Call me in Sooke at 642-1079, or pick them up in Sooke next time you are out this way, or I could meet you half way in Colwood or something like that as a compromise. Also, Tugwell is a great place for learning waterstarts in the summer and I would be happy to help you out there before the wind get really gnarly.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Reply to : Bobson

The trip to Nitinat is about 2 1/2 hours one way. If you want some people around to give you some pointers I would suggest a trip closer to the weekend. I usually leave Sat am and get there at about noon and stay until Sun or Monday. You want sunny/clear weather with a bit of a westerly flow - check Carmanah and the marine forecast for Juan de Fuca and West Coast Van Isl south for westerlies - light west is ok. A bit of fog on the coast gives the wind more of a kick, but you only need 5.5-6.0 weather for practicing the waterstarts. It gets fairly crowded up there so once you get some pointers, and if you can, head up there mid week.

Bring your own water, food, camping gear etc since it is sort of primitive camping there. Also have a good spare tire in case of flats, but the road isn't too bad and I take my mini van up there without too much damage.

I was up this weekend and it is still cold up there so bring the wetsuit you use for the ocean. By June or July it warms up enough for a thin 3/2 wetsuit.

Some weather links to check out:

http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino/nitforcast.htm - will have a weekend wind prediction for Nitinat shortly

http://www.nitinaht.com/weather.htm

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?wqc

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?yaz

PS this weekend so far looks bad => rain