Search found 13 matches

by altoning
Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: nitinat forecast
Replies: 17
Views: 5350

Thanks JL. I added a satellite link to http://wind.altoning.com/temp?station=nitinat . I've been told a S, SW and W direction on WindGuru is favorable. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger. I'll bring some (4.7+5.2/93L) windsurfing gear but my goal is to learn to kite upwind (7m, 9m and 11m) thi...
by altoning
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:03 am

6 and 8 Tdelta should be fine, so long as there isn't an easterly pressure gradient, and so long as the coast doesn't stay clear and overheat. 4 degrees is getting small, but doesn't mean it won't blow, but likely to be a big gear day. A beach forecasting discussion on the weekend with a few centur...
by altoning
Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Never been to Nitinat before but looking at Fri, Sat and Sun (July 5, 6 and 7).

Is a temperature difference of 6C, 8C and 4C between Tofino and Port Alberni sufficient for wind? Or do I have it wrong?

See http://wind.altoning.com/temp?station=B ... C/s0000496
by altoning
Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:25 pm
Topic: Ground Swell Questions
Replies: 10
Views: 3411

Alton, your first question was why was SW swell better than NW swell. My response would be, simply the direction of the resulting peeling wave from a SW swell will be nearly perpendicular to the prevailing N, NW winds at Pistol River, giving side-off conditions. And in fact the SW swell at 2 ft did...
by altoning
Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:20 am

Alton, You may want to diversify your experience to make use of all that driving if conditions are not right. A stand-up paddle will give you lots to do in the waves when there is no wind or sub planing conditions. I got a Starboard Wide Point 9'5". It is about 155 litres. I find the most fun ...
by altoning
Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 am

Alton, how you doing :?: Here is an article on wave mechanics complete with diagrams. All beaches have their best swell direction. There may be Islands and reefs the interfere with the swell reaching a beach as well as the type of break.... beach break, reef break or point break and the direction i...
by altoning
Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 am

@rkwave: many thanks for the explanation. Almost forgot about my high school physics. Wave shoaling seems to summarize your explanation. Magic Sea Weed is forecasting a SW swell 2 feet 17 seconds in Pistol River/Cape Sebastian this weekend. I'm curious how high it's going to jack up. Got to wait to ...
by altoning
Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Ground Swell Questions

Check out swellinfo.com for Gold Beach. Can someone explain to me the pros/cons of NW versus SW ground swell? Graham Ezzy mentioned to us at Pistol River that SW ground swell is preferred but I didn't quite understand why. I also read somewhere that longer periods are accompanied by stronger waves. ...
by altoning
Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 pm
Topic: Fee Parks, Washington St
Replies: 1
Views: 1021

Re: Fee Parks, Washington St

Excited to get a killer parking spot at Doug's today to find "fee parking" signage...This apparently in effect since last summer....News to me :evil: lucky to locate park dood & got a 2 vehicles for 1 deal for $30. It appears you are permitted to have more than one license plate on th...
by altoning
Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:56 pm
Topic: Best Campsites along the Gorge/Hood river for windsurfing
Replies: 21
Views: 6649

Heading down that way next week. Are you guys having to chase the wind each day? Or when it's on it on everywhere? How do you predict/ find current winds? Just staying in chateau dodge w/canopy. Thinking of getting a new wetsuit. Is it worth holding off till I'm down that way? Wind forecasts: iWind...
by altoning
Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:08 pm
Topic: Internet, Wx data, phone access in Oregon
Replies: 13
Views: 3710

Keith Teboul got data on his AT&T iPhone in Gold Beach during the AWT Pistol River Wave Bash - but still no signal at Pistol River. I only got voice/text in Gold Beach using T-Mobile and nothing at Pistol River. I suspect AT&T is better for data along the Oregon coast in bigger towns like Go...
by altoning
Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 pm

T-Mobile will only work if your GSM smartphone (iPhone or Android from Rogers, Fido, Bell or Telus) is unlocked. If it's unlocked T-Mobile's Pay-By-The-Day is definitely the way to go. I recommend the $2/day plan for unlimited voice, text and 2G data. The $3/day also gives you 4G speed but throttles...
by altoning
Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm

I've been using T-Mobile for several years. If you have any questions feel free to ask.