Search found 21 matches

by kook
Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:20 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: BCCF Fundraiser in Support of RD
Replies: 108
Views: 67359

Beat it!

I don't know you Russian Dood, but any windsurfer is a friend of mine. Beat this thing and get back out there.
by kook
Mon May 04, 2009 5:07 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Small Vessel Regs edits 2009
Replies: 21
Views: 4215

A testament to the degree of misunderstanding of our sport: Back in '03 - when probed on the ability for windsurfers to carry a 'manual propelling device' (i.e. paddle) on board, the response from a Transport Canada official was something like: 'Well, we'd interpret the fin on the board as being ...
by kook
Sat May 02, 2009 3:47 pm

I need to make 2 corrections. My memory is not all that great. 1. Sorry for slagging the CYA for the turn-around, but it was not the CYA. It was ORBAC (Ontario Recreational Boating Advisory Council) who turned the tides back to legislation, after I already had verbal confirmation and had seen the ...
by kook
Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 am

kiting

Yes, kiting is in there now too, and under the same clauses/exemptions as sailboards.

One thing that is noteworthy of course is that windsurf boards have inherent buoyancy which is critical for self-rescue, not so for wakeboard style kiteboards.
by kook
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:06 am

Small Vessel Regs edits 2009

Not sure if you guys on the West Coast have issues with PFDs and the law, but we sure have the odd incident here. Anyway, here is something I am posting on Ontario and Quebec websites - any support would be appreciated: > Once again Transport Canada is doing revisions to its Small Vessel Regs . If ...
by kook
Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:15 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Sites around Comox?
Replies: 18
Views: 5043

Dude - not out there yet but trying my hardest to find a job, then me and the family are moving out. Some promising happenings coming up in my line of work, so hopefully early next year. While not really accustomed to big water sailing, I'll pretty much sail in anything... flat, b&j or waves... its ...
by kook
Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:55 am
Topic: Freestyle boards
Replies: 5
Views: 1435

Freestyle boards

How many people on the island, particularly up-island, have a pure freestyle stick in their quiver? I guess the ideal for me would be a three stick quiver, but that will never happen, unless board #3 is a 200L learner board for the family. Ideal: 105L FS, 85L FSW and 72L waveboard, or something like ...
by kook
Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 am
Topic: New sail quiver
Replies: 7
Views: 2257

For sure... You are planning for a joint quiver for you and your wife. I think the best question is when you are on sail size X, your wife is on sail size Y, what is the difference X-Y? If it's 0.5m2 or so, then its easy, just get a quiver with the 0.5 spacing. Yeah it's definitely way overkill for ...
by kook
Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 am
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: A Dutch contribution to windsurfing
Replies: 11
Views: 3790

Oh my god... I nearly pissed my pants. That is classic!

Gonna have to post a link on our club site here...

Kudos to who ever had the time at the office to dig up that nugget.
by kook
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:51 am

I like your answering style KUS, definitely to the point. ;) I'll still fire off a bunch more though, while I have some willing contributors... Konabud - are there many windsurfers up that way? Much of a scene? In terms of living up there, can you describe the main differences between Comox and ...
by kook
Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Sweet kiting video! That flat water looks like a blast actually for freestyle, but it is dominated by kiters in 20-30kts? I suppose there is lots of variety from waves to dead flat. How deep is that water though? COuld you get by with a stubby 18cm fin or is it very shallow? Was that a SE?
by kook
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Hey konabud, Thx for the info. I notice that for the group stats for Columbia, there are almost more winter sessions than summer sessions. Sound right? What are the conditions like in a typical winter day? i.e. Air temp, water temp? Perhaps a dry bag is in order? I also seem to have turned into a ...
by kook
Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 am

Unfortunately, I make decisions like this at far less than a snails pace. The potential move is always in my mind. However, I think my wife and I know that moving to Victoria on a single civil engineer's salary ain't going to get us very far. We are committed to being a single income family until ...
by kook
Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:03 am

Comox... 2nd round

Old thread, but wondering if there are any newer updates on sailing in the Comox area. How frequent might you get 20kt+ sailable conditions? Is the Bay/Harbour only sailable on certain tides? Any fun waves to be had? Do you find yourself driving often to score sessions? Sorry about my continuous ...
by kook
Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 am
Topic: Wetsuits/Drysuits/Winter temps...
Replies: 17
Views: 4793

I guess I need to update my profile... I was living in NZ when I first joined and started posting, but moved back to my home in Ontario last spring. With a house here in Kingston, it was the logical place to come back to, for starters. We are still pondering the whole move thing... hence more ...