kiteboarding accidents / safety tips

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
57palm

wipe-out

Post by 57palm »

Hey Jim, Chris. These recent things have really caused me to be more careful when kiting now. (at least for a while). I came in with my 8M well powered. Dropped my board on the beach and walked up to the field with one hand on the bar and the other one on my quick release. And oh yeah, the leash was on my %100 depower for the whole session. Just a little too hairy to take chances for me today. Luckily there was someone there to land me today. All and all had a great session though. A little light and gusty at first then filled in nicely. 2hrs on the water.

Reuben
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

A nice little summary of things to know about kiting for non-kiters (or newbies). Some simple and informative illustrations about the basic 'how it works' and safety systems:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/ posted Monday March 8, 2010 in case you don't see it right away
JL

Post by JL »

From South. Cal. Kiteboard association: General Safety Guidelines
SCKA members voted in these Safety Guidelines after considering inputs from experienced riders and area lifeguards. They are made possible by the mistakes of riders that went before you! Their purpose is to promote safe and responsible kiteboarding, which serves to promote continued access. They are written for ALL areas and with different types of kites and boards in mind. They must be augmented with local-specific guidelines due to unique conditions at each site.If you don't agree with any of these, or feel some are not warranted for a given situation, please DO NOT disregard them. This sets a bad example for others. We urge you become a SCKA member, come to the meetings, and help us change anything that's not right. Always exercise good judgment and common sense while using these guidelines. Fly safe!
The Southern California Kiteboarding Association
covers Los Angeles south through Orange County
Vision:
A membership driven organization to support the needs of kiteboarders in Southern California.
Mission:
1. Keep the beaches and waterways safe and open to kiteboarding

a. Develop rules and guidelines as a community

b. Work with the government agencies, cities, residents, and kiters to maintain and improve access for kiteboarding, and develop outreach programs to educate and promote the sport

c. Self police and enforce the rules and guidelines

2. Create a community of kiteboarders

a. Utilize the SCKA website to disseminate information, provide a forum to share ideas, resources and expertise, and to manage and drive SCKA.

b. Provide support and resources to the members to allow them to achieve their initiatives

c. Create a unified front to set a positive image for the sport

d. Help and support fellow kiters

e. Organize social, fun and educational activities (Down winders, BBQ/parties, races, trips, swap meets, demo days, skills clinics, etc.)

3. Give back to the community

a. Inform the public and visiting kiteboarders

b. Support the businesses, people and organizations that supports us

c. Create a positive image for our sport

Any beginning rider or kiter should have professional instruction or as a minimum, direct supervision from an experienced rider.
A safety release and leash must be attached to your body, prior to launching any water-launchable kite. If you're capable of landing multiple-spin jumps, click here for information on a hands-free spinning leash system.
Maintain a clear downwind area, allowing extra space when kite control might be compromised, such as when launching, landing, jumping, or maneuvering. If someone else crashes a kite on or near land, offer assistance in grounding that kite without reservation.
Yield to any pedestrian or swimmer, and to any watercraft that has the right-of-way. Do so immediately and with enough margin to avoid any possible contact with the kite or lines.
Grounded kites must be sufficiently weighted (sand, if available) to offset strong gusts and if unattended, disabled by disconnecting all lines from one side.
Land kites with assistance whenever possible and offer assistance without reservation whenever possible, especially in populated or cluttered areas. If forced to self-recover, downing kites in shallow water is often safer than on land. In either case, ensure the entire downwind arc is clear.
Riders must yield to everyone when jumping, maneuvering, or riding on port tack (left handforward).
Incoming riders give way to those launching.
Avoid obstructing the way of others or cluttering any area with grounded kites, lines or boards.
After consideration has been given to the above, normal sailing rules apply.

Right of Way

Note: Right hand forward while riding is Starboard Tack (and generally has right-of-way).
Left hand forward is Port Tack.

When two kiteboarders converge in a way that may lead to a collision, the kiteboarder on port tack must give way to the kiteboarder on starboard tack. Starboard tack has right of way in this situation.
When two kiteboarders converge, and they are on the same tack, the kiteboarder most upwind must give way to the kiteboarder most downwind. The leeward kiteboarder has right of way in this situation.
When two kiteboarders converge in a way that may lead to the kites colliding, the upwind kiteboarder must fly their kite as high as possible, and the downwind kiteboarder must fly their kite as low as possible.
A kiteboarder must give way to anyone they are overtaking. The kiteboarder being overtaken has the right of way, and is responsible for maintaining course while being overtaken.
Always give right of way to anyone who enters the 200' safety zone downwind of you.

Highly Recommended Equipment:

A PFD (lifejacket) or Impact vest, and helmet.
A knife (preferably a hook knife) to cut tangled lines.
A whistle (to signal boats when you, or your lines, are down in the water)
Tips:
Indicate to others when you want to land / ground your kite.
Only kiteboard as far from shore as you are able to swim.
Learn and practice self rescues.
Avoid riding solo, and always let someone know your plan (return time).
Consider using brightly colored lines, kites, and other gear.
Check your equipment carefully before launching (esp. your kite rigging).
Remember to stay well hydrated, and to wear sunscreen.
Please be courteous to all other water users and spectators.

PLEASE RESPECT THE LIFEGUARDS, HARBOR POLICE, COAST GUARD, etc.
If they request that you stop kiteboarding, please comply, find out the reasons (without arguing), and then contact the SoCal Kiteboarding Association.

PLEASE NEVER KITEBOARD WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS!

We have to work together to keep kiteboarding safe and access open. Always keep an eye on what's going on around you. Don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for help. Accept help that's offered in the name of safety.

If you are experienced, you have a position of responsibility. Offer help in a friendly and RESPECTFUL manner. Treat anyone's potential kitemare as an event that's personally detrimental to you and ALL other riders.

Kiteboarding is a TEAM SPORT! An alienated rider is out of reach and will likely disregard any and all guidelines. Do all you can to keep rider relations respectful and friendly.

Have fun, be safe, and we'll see you on the water!
Thermals are good.
Wavos Rancheros

Kite surfers go through the ice.

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I know that there is a lot of talking against newbie on cook st or newbie in general, but this article show some experience people doing worse stuff than newbie.
Look at the video in the first page.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2363390

Thanks god no one is like that here, but hopefully if someone becomes like that, people will show the same level of "angry" and warnings at them as well.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey, they are dissing my kiteboard instructor! (he of the 'that guy needs to do some drugs before coming out here so he thinks less' comment about another student). He does like to hotdog, he jumped over me the first time before handing the kite over, I was OK with that I knew he was easily in control, but a newbie with no experience might have been freaked out a bit. And he told me about another couple of exploits that could have got kitesurfing banned if anyone had seen it (they didn't, it was near-hurricane conditions for the stunt).
AC

Post by AC »

Every one wants to jump big and you can ,
so be aware , you never know how high and far
you are really going to go.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

There is a real problem with kiting safety/attitudes in Florida, as I've mentioned before. I was thinking this morning, realizing that I had booked lessons through a local windsports shop in Miami, who set me up with Mike; and they assured me he was both a qualified, registered instructor and had insurance (both things NOT true, as reading the posts on Teabag's link shows). He certainly had the skill; but I was shocked at his attitude towards students (not myself) and cavalier attitude to safety and I was surprised he had passed the 'teaching' part of an instructors rating. I wonder if my crossed kitelines incident (which he handled extremely well) had happened during the first lesson, at 25 knots, rather than the second at 12, if I could have been injured and tried to get compensation, only to find out there was no insurance and I would have been SOL.

I'm frankly surprised that the shop would take on that kind of liability.

Don't let this attitude spread here!!!!
sharkdiver

Post by sharkdiver »

the shop that recomended him would have been paying you:)
AC

:)

Post by AC »

If they have no insurance and you get hurt Most of the time they have nothing you can sue them for , You might get there kite quiver, That's all most surf bums own anyway.
sharkdiver

Post by sharkdiver »

Interesting email I got from Padi today

What Could Happen if You're Not Properly Covered

What would happen if there was a property loss or an incident and you didn't have insurance? How would you repair or replace the property? Would the property loss result in your business being closed for a short time? Would there be a legal suit? Who will defend you? Who would pay compensation to the injured party if you're found liable?

Here are some true examples showing why it is so important to have PADI-endorsed insurance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to protect your livelihood when it's not your fault?

The Facts:

•A dive center hired a contractor to install security cameras.
•The contractor hit a fire sprinkler that flooded the hotel where the dive center was located.
•The contractor did not have any liability insurance - therefore recovery was unlikely as the contractor had no assets and no insurance.

The Outcome - when you're covered:

Since this dive center had PADI-endorsed Dive Center and Resort Insurance, the insurance company paid for the property damage to the hotel and avoided a lawsuit against the dive store.

The Outcome - when you're NOT covered:

If the dive center did not have insurance, they would be liable for the loss out of their own funds; in this case it would have been approximately $50,000 - $75,000 US.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What could happen if you were diving
for pleasure and an incident occurred?

The Facts:

•While on vacation, a divemaster joined a group of divers on a shore dive.
•During the dive, one of the divers appeared to be in distress.
•The divemaster immediately swam toward the diver but - the diver lost consciousness. At the surface, the divemaster gave the diver rescue breaths and towed him to shore.
•Unfortunately, the diver was later pronounced dead - and the diver's partner sued the divemaster for negligence.

Since the divemaster had PADI-endorsed Professional Liability Insurance, the divemaster is always insured - whether acting in the role of a dive professional or engaging in a pleasure dive. In the end, the case settled for the cost of defense, which is covered by the PADI-endorsed policy. This means the company paid what it likely would have paid to defend the suit, but not nearly what the plaintiff was seeking. Of course, there was no admission of liability or wrongdoing on the part of the divemaster.

The divemaster would have been responsible for payment of all legal fees and expenses associated with his defense and faced a jury at trial. The expenses alone could bankrupt most individuals as they would likely be in the hundreds of thousands (US). In addition, should the case go to trial, and the jury find against the divemaster, he would be responsible for payment of the judgment awarded by the jury.

What happens when a fatal incident occurs
associated with a store sale or rental?

The Facts:

•A diver rented equipment from a dive center without presenting a certification card.
•During the dive - the diver had a fatal accident.
•The wife of the deceased diver filed suit alleging negligence because the diver was uncertified.
•There was some evidence that the diver was certified, but it was unclear and disputed.

Since this dive center had PADI-endorsed Dive Center and Resort Insurance, an attorney was retained to represent the store at no expense to the store. Due to the facts of the incident, the case was eventually settled and the settlement was paid by the insurance company.

The dive center would be faced with paying legal expenses out of its own pocket, potentially jeopardizing the entire business.

PADI-endorsed insurance continues to provide unparalleled insurance protection for what's most important - your business. When you're covered, you don't have to wonder if there's a team of experienced professionals, who exclusively work to defend dive industry stakeholders, ready to back you up or wonder which outcome you'll receive. You'll know the best team in the industry will be leading your defense.

Contact the following PADI partners to learn more about the PADI-endorsed policy options that best suit your needs:
AC

?

Post by AC »

Diving? I think you may be the only one out there Sharky
sharkdiver

Post by sharkdiver »

the insurance issues are the same. that is why anyone who decides to teach someone needs to have a long kiting session to think if he or her wants to take the responcibility of teaching anyone. the only thing that is different from padi and a kiting instructor or business is that they have taught million their sport. so they have developed the procedures to protect the companies and instructors but if something does go wrong.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

doubt u can get insurance on your own without belonging to an organization.... ski resorts can barely manage to get/maintain a policy and they are well organized and do huge business, CWSAA and such.

Private insurance agencies are there to make money not to pay out claims. I don't know of any that will cover high risk activities. hell, my life insurance barely covers me (at double the normal premium) with my windsurfing hobby (which if you don't declare it they will use to default your claim even if kiting/wsurfing is not the cause of your demise), picturing me drifting around on Elk Lake with a one design.

As a store you'd be well advised to not show any kick-back from any independent instructor (esp Mr. Florida dood) and keep them at arm's length. Waivers are not worth the paper they are written on. Good luck getting PADI or any other insurance to cover ya even if you wanted to pay a huge fee. 8)
Last edited by KUS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Let's not forget this is Canada, and here Civil law is, to some extent, based off the standard of a "reasonable person." Liability must be shown on the balance of probabilities, that is they were more likely than not to cause harm or loss. Potential Example: Did this person contribute to the harm? Would this person have gone kiting anyways? and if so would they have still gotten hurt? Did the person mitigate some of the potential harm that could have been done?

In terms of personal liability, the person must fail to exercise the degree of caution that an ordinarily prudent person would take. This is very subjective but could be as simple as making sure normal safety equipment was used and a quick briefing on potential hazards was provided.

The precendent for General and Puniitive damages has also been set significantly lower (than say the US) by the supreme court of Canada, so don't expect to see any $3 million dollar payouts for a coffee burn anytime soon. Also, the objective of a damage award is to punish the defendant whose behaviour is worthy of extreme disapproval, rather than to reward the plaintiff.

Bottom line is that I don't see any potential for successful litigation occuring here anytime soon, except for those who act with bonafide/blatant/obvious stupidity and negligence. The motivation to go after someone for damages is much less than other jurisdictions and the likilhood of sucess lesser as well. Pretty good deterrents unless the case is near bulletproof.

Disclaimer: I must say I am not an expert and I am mostly familiar with Environmental Law and Liability, but the same principles apply.
Don't forget to bring a towel!