Jordan River Erosion, Trees @Point

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddude

Post by winddude »

What if we like all just windsurf trees instead of smoking them. :shock:
Attachments
IMG_1957-592x444.jpg
IMG_1957-592x444.jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Thanks Gene, I was hoping you'd step in and solve this one for us South Islanders... with 13 municipalities here we can't exactly make any sort of rational decision.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
windeemanic

Post by windeemanic »

The amount of rip rap that was there this summer was perfect. Plenty of kite launch area or picnic area. Top soil and grass would even be better. My concern though is that the amount of boulders needed to effectively maintain this would be more than what CRD would be willing to pay for. The complexity of what and how it should be done can be compared to what Highways did along the road extending from the bridge to the corner past Breakers. This was done to try to minimize the flooding on the road and adjacent properties. Water and logs still end up on the road and now there is huge backwash that travels back out to sea and towards the point on big swells. My point being is that without proper research and expertise, we have no way of knowing how this will affect the rest of the beach.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Another issue to be conserned about it how seawalls csn affect the sandbars, gravel bars and potentially fuck up the break. All of a sudden there is a dead stop to the wave action which will create more wasout near the shore.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yesterday morning one of the booms in the river let go and multiple log bundles were spit out into the strait. Today an excavator was going up and down the beach from Sewers to Rock Piles trying to salvage the bundles that stuck around. They were being piled up along the road against the breakwater and in an around the point parking area. As you can imagine the excavator made a bit of a mess of the rock walls to gain access the beach, as well as the beach itself wherever it went down. I'm actually really surprised you are allowed to just drive an excavator down into the public foreshore to retrieve some logs without any sort of DFO permit or supervision. I doubt it caused any harm, but in light of this recent thread the area was definitely looking much different today then it did Friday. I think they got pretty lucky here with the low tides, smaller swell, and lack of wind. You can imagine what would have happened if those log bundles were bashing up against the road with the pre-Christmas swell and king tides - the homeowners might have found them in their living room.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

excavators on the beach retrieving logs....I suspect that's the way they've been doing it there for 50 years or more. Every 2-3 years for the past 20 for sure.

The rivermouth has been dredged every few years and I believe the dredging is also an excavator at a minus tide. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

It's basically an industrial zone free for all.....I don't think they worry too much about no stinkin' badges.
JL

Post by JL »

'King Tides' 3 days ago :? http://olyopen.com/2015/01/22/king-tide ... raph-them/ If it wasn't for logging our Is. wouldn't have many roads :shock:
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'm not against logging but I just think the area has changed drastically over the past few years such that driving a excavator onto the beach mid-Sunday isn't quite what it used to be. I counted over 60 people in the water today at one point.
windeemanic

Post by windeemanic »

I hope someone got photos of all the kids climbing around on the stack of logs in the parking lot at the Point. Or the excavator driving around, and loading the logs onto the parking lot with no flagging people or signage. Bt I guess that isn't t as big of a public safety issue as the dam bursting.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The costs for saving the trees is significant and after further consideration we feel that the trees have already been compromised. At this point we will not take any action to repair the shoreline or the area around the trees. Thank you for your interest in Regional Parks.

Sincerely

Jim Bell
Operations Supervisor
Regional Parks
Well, that solves all that I guess :roll: Too bad...I think anyway.
====================
As for the rest I know everyone tells you that as you get older you may feel the good ol' days are past, the new generation is not doing things as well as the one before, quality is degraded, pieces of paradise are lost etc....and it's all a figment of your imagination.... and that change is good.

So why do I feel it's not much of a consolation.......my kids collected cool rocks on the beach and made wind mobiles with driftwood, rocks, twigs, sat at the base of those trees watching the surfers for the first time in their lives, we had a small marshmellow fire on the rocky beach, camped in the parking lot. Glad we had the chance to do all that....Too bad other young families won't have the opportunity

discovered :shock: explored :D raped :twisted: sold :P exploited :lol: damaged :? restricted :evil: ignored :roll: .... next :arrow: (emoticons of those that hold high places...)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Sad for sure and I fully agree with you Kus.

The price of "progress"... :evil: :shock: :roll:
JL

Post by JL »

This seems to be a new management move for the C.R.D. . Purchase Parkland & then let it wash into the sea. They seriously tried to legislate dismantling the berms @ I.V. a couple of years ago & let it turn into a lagoon. :evil: Related: https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-sour ... f?sfvrsn=0 :roll:
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

8-9 Magnitude :?: I would think we have much more to worry about than drowning a couple of surfers or campers if that happens....
There is more in play here than earthquake threats....how about buying out the forestry firm? Let's give them "fair value" for this now raped and polluted land, shall we? There is that "Backroom deals" smell again.....first Hydro (we) pay the Forestry firm, then we pay for the environmental clean up...then we pay for the new dam.....then we pay for the deficit that these things cause poor BC Hydro to incur....then we pay for the increased rates for the service

It never ceases to amaze me how they manage to pick their politically not well positioned prey...a couple of JR homeowners and some surfers.....if Canada Place sat at that river mouth, I wonder how that would go down?

Hasn't the Kinder Morgan debacle had any effect...well apart from KM green-washing everything in sight with their huge, expensive TV ads campaign?

I just wanna camp with a solar panel and windsurf some waves :roll:
BTW:
"I thought that I would let you know that Regional Parks has secured some funding to move forward in finding a solution to the erosion around the trees on the point. Thanks"
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

KUS wrote: I just wanna camp with a solar panel and windsurf some waves :roll:
Tofino? Oregon? Great camping options...big sandy beaches. Maybe lacking a little in the solar department.

:wink:
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

CRD just posted a media release to advise of crews working on the bank...