Ideal surf vehicle???

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Oops! That was me ... sorry ... forgot to log in ...
I wish my TOW was longer!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

That sounds ideal! I don't know how I'd feel about cooking in the bathroom though....
the Sprinter gets up to 20 miles per gallon, yet can also carry four passengers, has a bathroom with shower and small galley.
TURTLE

Ultimate Windsurfing wagon

Post by TURTLE »

Dodge Grande Caravan

Long enough to hold a 165 cm Go Board and much more with 3 seats still functional.

27m/gal

I used to have a GL-10? Subaru 4wd and sold it to Recklass Rick for parts(great for making good time out to Nitnat). Last I saw he was using it for a windsurfing wagon. That was great for one and one could stuff all your gear in the wagon (although visibility was poor out the passenger's side.

Turtle
JustGiver

Post by JustGiver »

Geoff wrote:Hey - Anybody actually have one of these Sprinters (All Daimler (Mercedes) parts shipped to a Freightliner factory and assembled in NC then badged for Dodge and Freightliner, crazy). I'm interested in how they actually drive, their performance on long drives and hills, and acceleration, especially towing about 3000 lbs of kayaks? Cannot wait until they release the hybrid one, an extra 80 hP electric engine parallel! Might spring for one for the business anyway! If you're looking for a used one, look for the older Freightliner badged ones, there are some 5-6 year old ones out there but very hard to find.
Couple guys on my street have these sprinter vans and use them commercially. Nothing but breakdowns and endless troubles. I see the one guy working on his every week. The other guy on my street is fed up too.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

At least I identify myself !!! I just think those vehicles are silly. http://www.japanoid.com/cardata.php?carNo=28 Heres something a little more 'domestic': http://www.go-west.com/cfm/index.cfm?It=900&Id=76&Sv=1
Thermals are good.
Windsurfish

Subaru Wagons :)

Post by Windsurfish »

I have been driving a beater subaru (loyale with a DL dual range 4WD manual trans) out to NNL for three years and counting. It is perfect, as it can be slept in (in a pinch), and with the custom rack a friend made for me, I can get 1 big sail bag + 2 Go/formula and three boards on the roof easily, with lots of room for the rest of the Nat crap. Did I say it's good at 80Kmh on logging roads? Oh yeah, I do blow a few tires each year as they are 13" only... But great mileage and pressing 500K Kms is a good selling point in my mind.
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Westfalia

Post by BigD »

For those of you with non-windsurfing wives may I recommend the post 1986 Volkswagen Westfalia. Not only will it provide your wife with a wind-free living room-esque atmosphere complete with 'tea'-bar and hand washing facilities for those long ninat afternoons, but it will also fit all of your gear INSIDE on the way up with the bed made. Sleeps 4 comfortably and if you are a real gear whore you can install roofracks to boot.
TURTLE

2 windsurfing experiences: After work and the Camping Exp.

Post by TURTLE »

The perfect vehicle depends on the kind of trip to the beach. A 2 hour dip and back home again is a different kind of vehicle than a drive to location and camp for a day or two.

Although I see the point about the combo wagon for both experiences...Good point BigD

AFTER WORK WINDSURF
I like to keep all my gear secure (not on the top of a vehicle) in a van and be ready to go at a moments notice after work at the closest beach with the biggest wind. Dunkin' Guy's Bread loaf wagon is a little harder on gas but is also very useful--especially for the windsurf van pool exp.

CAMPING WINDSURF
Going to Nitnat in an RV is definately the way to go expecially with non windsurfing wife (soon to have baby as well).
I have a beat up old 89' Ford 3/4 ton truck on Propane which makes it more affordable. 8'9" camper -- I own the truck already and the camper so the intitial purchase price is not an issue($3500 purchased second hand and I do the work on it).
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.escapetrailer.com/Index.aspx ... tsToPonder I will be sticking with my Toyota van & a tent. The toy box is handy year round as a people mover, mobile change room & great for those visits to the building supply store.
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hey, now that's valid :!:

I've often wondered how many muscle strains people get from changing inside their vehicles....I remember W247 tagging me with the nickname "Willows Naked Guy" cuz I just open the van door, have a quick look around for old ladies or little girls so I don't freak or offend too much :oops: (or be labeled a child molester) and then drop the gear. :twisted:
Hmm, it doesn't always work like at Clover last week when I couldn't get my first foot into the suit, had to take extra time sticking my butt into the driver window of the car next to me (he seemed to be reading to his wife or something, hey, he's the one who had to park right next to me), said hello to a passing couple of tourist ladies who properly gazed off into the distance as they walked past my bumper as I'm sorting out the twisted ankle seal....:lol:
At the Nat the large van and big door also affords a great windbreak and semi-private place to shower but sometimes I just stand up on the picnic table while dumping water over myself so I don't get leaves and pine needles stuck to my feet :roll:
Anyway, vehicle and door size therefore plays a role especially if you are a bit nudity conscious (apparently unlike me, European upbringing I guess), good point! 8) Unless of course you own a leopard-skin Damsel Wear Poncho :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I have more-than-once-or-twice managed to put my wetsuit on back-to front when changing in the front of my truck in public places. Even checking the knee pads are in front, etc before putting the first leg in. Get it up to the waist and step outside for the top half, only to find out that you'll have to take it off and switch legs first. That is REALLY frustrating when you aren't sure the wind will last! I'm not sure if it is worse for just dropping the wetsuit unencumbered and being naked for the shortest period of time, or trying to cover up with a towel, only to have it fall off anyway while you try and get the feet out. Funny, I had a dream last night that Anne had bought me a Damselware poncho for a gift (very odd dream!).

I guess you and Bobson will be the ones the Morality Squad are checking into after a few complaints!

Hint for avoiding the pineneedles and grunge on the feet -- get big rubber floormats for the van/car and pull one or both out to stand on for changing.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

a guy down the street from my office just got a new one of those sprinter vans, very nice looking. i parked by one at kanaha, turned out to be matt pritchards.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Kus: what's wrong w/ a roof box? Anyway, this should probably be in the surf vehicle thread - May 03 8:37PM
Globe: thanks for the responses guys, I've been rethinking this a bit, and I think i'd like to stick to something like a small truck, as my previous car smelled less than pleasent in the back when my wet kite gear was left in over night etc. So probably a small truck or if I can't find something relatively affordable, then I'll just go with another small cheap car unfortunately as I'll probably destroy the inside of any nice vehicle that has to have my kite gear in it. - May 03 8:08PM
Ksd: My 91 subaru legacy wagon is awsome on the nitinaht road! AWD and 4cyl is reasonable on gas - May 03 7:54PM
Windsurfish: Anyone going to Nitinaht tomorrow??? - May 03 7:29PM
Mattd0G: I had a 2wd Nissan pickup that surprisingly to me suffered a big thrashing on that road. The answer may be simply to slow down. My Toyota Matrix seemed to weather it fine. If you do go to Nimpkish Lake, it's paved all the way ... See www.japanoid.com for some neat vans - May 03 6:28PM
Best Nitnat Vehicle: would be a small, light front wheel or all wheel drive. nobody ever got over that road faster than adam in his honda civic... - May 03 5:15PM
Pete: Globe - I have a 94 4WD toyota pickup with canopy and roof racks for sale that loves Nitinat. Email me at if yer interested! - May 03 5:07PM
Johnny: Hey Globe,A buddy has a 1998 Astro Van 120,000.km for sale Quite reasonable,truck suspension.Great for sleeping and gear storage.Needs no work. - May 03 4:27PM
Bobson: I'm not so sure about the smart car on the road to Nitinat...I might pick the Jeep....maybe only small V6 though. - May 03 4:03PM
Mattd0G: That's the beauty of kiting, you only need the space in a Smart car to cart yourself, your kiting gear and your camping gear. Since gas prices are going higher (according to our federal finance minister) I would go for fuel economy myself ... (Jeep - 18 mpg, Smart Car 80 mpg) That means many more affordable outings .. - May 03 3:59PM
Richard: hey globe, I have 1993 Grand Cherokee for sale, good kite machine. email me if you want more info: - May 03 2:28PM
Globe: anyone have any light trucks or other kiting friendly vehicles for sale? - May 03 10:38AM
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....