water assist at nitnat

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

Thanks Dave got your PM . That's not my first bad message from a kiter, they get freaked out easy, guess the pressure pot at the lake is starting to boil. Everything is cool.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
sonicspectrum

Post by sonicspectrum »

Jimmy, everyone loves you.
AC

Ac

Post by AC »

May i have some tissue please..
Kiteboarders and Windsurfers are all on the same page.
And for any one who thinks different they
should start doing both so they can see that both
sports are equally as fun in light and strong winds.
None of the kiteboarders i know dislike windsurfers.
Do windurfers dislike kiteboarders.
let us know G-Wind
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

hangliding versus paragliding

Over time it has become it has become hangliding and paragliding.

Snowboarding versus skiing.

Over time it has become snowboarding and skiing

Windsurfing versus kiting

Over time it will become windsurfing and kiting.

It seems initially that the original sport feels threatened as the new kid on the block gets all the attention and the cultural differences are emphasized. After time, there is more acceptance and accomodation and the prejudices die out.

My point, the end result is that we all have fun sailing, iregardless of the method that we choose.

Have fun sailing!
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

sonicspectrum wrote: I sure feel at one with the universe as I drive 2 hours in my suv to get to the lake to ride on my plastic / nylon / foam / dacron environmental disaster equipment....
Gee, that's kind of uncharitable Mr Spectrum. A dose of guilt to go with the Zen. I suppose I had is coming.

BTW. On an average flight from Los Angeles to New York, a Boeing 767 burns around 50,000 pounds of hydrocarbon fuel. My Kombat 95 weighs about 16 lbs. Assuming it is all made of hydrocarbons, which it probably is, the board is equivalent to 5.2 seconds of 767 flying time. Of course energy was consumed to make it and ship it to me too. BUT, it will have a useful life of about 5 to 10 years, so in a sense, every time I get on it to sail I am recycling the hydrocarbons used to make it (reusing). I think calling a windsurfing board "environmental disaster equipment" is a little over the top.

Sail on dudes ... Ommmm, Ommmm, Ommmmm ....
Last edited by mortontoemike on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I like kiteboarding even though I don't do it....main reason is last year while sitting waiting for the wind to come up Hood River I picked up a kiteboarding magazine...the chicks are waaaaay better looking in those mags compared to windsurfing. Makes me wonder if I am doing the right sport...

Oh ya...Penguin snowboarders suck ass! Everyone knows that skiing rules the hills! :twisted: (just kidding...really please don't everyone start ranting about that)

Thanks BWD for providing everyone such a great forum to BS about even the most insignificant topics!

Closing note:

I do think a wrestling match between AC and GWIND in the cool new hot tub might be in order for the next time there is actually wind at the lake! Maybe a Windfest related activity...everyone could bet. :roll:
Give'R
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

lol...Im in for that, I would pay big $$$ to see that...lol....you could put the money to a good cause!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

They had better stick to finger wrestling, we don't want more damage done to the campsite. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

Gwind, perhaps trying kiting will give you some insight on how fun it is to get towed down the lake by a crashed kite, get tangled up in the lines, do the long untangle etc.. and truly appreciate the significance of the rescue pwc to novices kiters- whether they are in a lesson or not. Its alot different than breaking down on a windboard- you really ought to try it - its rather eye opening. do you think this might change the perspective a bit in regards to the smelly-longterm-resident-unproffitable-business- who-saves-kitersandwindboarders- ass at the lake. Mabye you can get a lesson from AC, and pay in beer? how many beers would that be AC?

I seem to remeber that 'Pimlotts good samaritan rescue service' received nothing but beer, smiles , praise and good karma... from the beginner and experienced windboarding crew. He was long term, wasnt making a dime either, and smelling up the place too, but in a groovy way. Given inflation rates I would say a 6 pack and 5 bucks would be todays equivilant for the Karma counters.

On Nitinat and rescue- I'm stoked to know that several kiters stated on this forum they are looking out, and that AC is looking.. He checked on me last summer a few times- dropped his lesson, zipped over to see, then off again. Really great.. thanks AC your situational awareness is sharp for a crabber.

As for the windboarders who cursed me for dragging through their 'zone' the next day with a downed kite, and you who swore at me, and then sprayed me (with a gay one handed jibe that you didnt plane out of, - hint - stick your butt out more) and the others that didnt lend a hand as the kite went into the bushes 100 meters from where you were laughing.. god bless you. It was a good lesson in how not to jibe, self reliance, and the damage thorns do to kites- dont ever expect a windboarder to help but they may help... sometimes.. if theyre not grumpy about not planing...
GWIND

respect

Post by GWIND »

AC: I like the sport of kiting.
Penguin: yes we should all be having fun.
ToesideT: I don't need to kite to see it's fun, I have been in a lot of sports. ToeT- read what you wrote, towed down the lake, crashed kite,
tangled lines, that is a frightening sight for a sailor. they don't know what the hell to do! ToeT check out nitnat on a good Sunday, you are not the only one who may drag through the windsurfers, planned or not, sometimes it goes on all day. so ya think they might be just a little pissed off?
--NO-- there is nothing wrong with rescue boats. But its got to be fun for everyone. ToeT I have been around kiters for a long time, probably longer than you have been kiting. So i've seen a few things good and bad.
---It's got to be fun for everyone.
---Oh yea that was probably a hetro jibe, know what I'm sayin.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I feel your pain, I two have been cursed at for being down wind in the windsurfers zone, and was feeling pretty bad about it for awhile, and was even holding some resentment for it. I don't want to piss people off, and I can reassure you that i don't try to get in there face on purpose, it just sometimes happens.
I think it was two weekends ago, at the lake when I lost my board and couldn't find it on the water. I knew i was getting close to the windsurfers area, and made the decision to call off the search before i got in there way, and body dragged myself back to the beach. I was passing a windsurfer( Mike, i hope i got your name right Buddy), and he must have seen the look on my face, because by the time I walked back to the kite area, maybe about 50 m away, and landed my kite, he was walking up wind to meat me with my board in hand. I told him that he just saved me about 799 bucks for a new board ( sorry Dale), and offered him some beer. He told me that him and his friend were only in town for the day, then they were heading back to Van. This one gesture by a man i had never seen before, has again restored my Faith that both windsurfers and kiteboarders can get along, and i insure you that if i see a windsurfer in trouble on the water, no mater how small of a chance that is, I will help him as much as i can. ( even you GWind...lol)....I love you all....but not that way! ....PS It's not fun if people are yelling at you GWIND
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by BigD »

I think TheLaw really crossed the line in this discussion. Obviously he hasn't seen this:

(Rated PG - although the video quality makes it debatable)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW5i8iJCItE[/youtube]
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The girls in those videos are probably all pushing 50 by now......
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

THANKS BigD. This thread has really evolved to a higher level. :D:

And MF4. What's sa matter with mature women? There's some pretty hot 50+ windsurfing women at Nitinat. :wink: :wink:
I wish my TOW was longer!
JL

Post by JL »

Big D is the new B.W.D. moral officer !!!
Thermals are good.