Windsurfing lessons

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Sculp

Post by Sculp »

Thanks Markus

Very generous of you to give your time to all us newbies. Lots of good tips.

I know my wetsuit sucks. One of my dunkings actually took my breath away. I think I'll get a decent wetsuit so that the season is longer and I don't cringe at the thought of falling in. Yup, I am a wus! :oops:

Gord Bell
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Sculp, I think my biggest gains in windsurfing was when I bought a decent wetsuit after messing about with a farmer john and loose-fitting top, and stopped freezing; makes an unbelievable difference in what you are comfortable (literaly!) doing!
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurfing

Post by BigD »

Gord! Glad to hear you're still on the board. Maybe we can hook up for a Nitnat trip this summer. I've lost a few pounds doing renos and from all the stress of my new job :wink: I seem to get cold faster than my grandmother these days. Been thinking of getting a drysuit so I can layer up and enjoy myself when it's less than 20 deg outside.

Probably should post this in a new (or really old) thread but is the Ocean Rodeo Predator (http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/predator) my best bet for a windsurfing drysuit anyone?

Kus, way to fire up the stoke in the newbies. Nice work! 8)
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Sculp

Post by Sculp »

Hey Dallas

I haven't really progressed much because not much TOW. I want to at least get to a level that I can some w/s, even poorly, next time in Maui. Love Maui and that warm water. Just wish I could w/s on it. =P~

Picked up a warm suit yesterday, screw-it, I thought. Life is short.
[smilie=beer.gif]

Gord
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I was wondering if anybody will be offering windsurfing lessons at Nitnat on the May long weekend?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

otisdadog wrote:I was wondering if anybody will be offering windsurfing lessons at Nitnat on the May long weekend?
Doubt it (Kus maybe?) but the Port Alberni school should be up and running by then (see other thread on Wild West Watersports).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Day 17

Post by KUS »

Another Newbie day tomorrow, MONDAY-

gonna shoot for 1030ish til 2 tomorrow at Willows Beach if anyone's into it, i have about a half dozen confirmations so it should be a good group. Send me a private message or email the ad on usedvictoria.com

Any older SDM 400 masts out there? I could use one for the group.

Any other volunteers to get the stoke going with some newbies or share your vast wealth of windsurfing knowledge :?: come on out. The teahouse is open too for lunch or a java.

:P
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Well, Monday afternoon was sure a nice day, too bad not all showed up that confirmed but we had a good group of 5 or so.

This week went so fast I totally missed sending the note last night, if anyone wants to try this afternoon starting at 1300 let me know. I will be watching from the dry tea house or the kayak maybe :) I know it's short notice (and the weather is changing with NO notice, fyi to those who have said I need to plan this better and more ahead of time)

Willows Beach, Kiwanis Teahouse, SAT May 29, 1300 start today.
Pls confirm by 1230, thx.

PS: BTW this weekend is going to be the last one for a while as I head to Oregon hopefully, if the weather cooperates. If not and there is cloud and rain I will be around.
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

I was thinking of heading down around then too, hopefully i'll have some company!!! :P
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

u'd probably be able to do Ross Bay with your rig, stronger wind & relatively flat water, pretty safe too. so far no confirmations so i might try Klova instead later 8) Sun is supposed to make an appearance :roll:
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Maybe i'll give it a try, keep your head up on the other side incase i try a back loop over clover point.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Michael may show up there too, yeah, backloops upwind r kinda tricky, sure u can do it tho 8)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sunday, Winter session #1 (and maybe the last one too, haha)

Post by KUS »

Hello all- Hope everyone had a great summer!! :D which is now OVER :o but hey, there is always windsurfing!!!! :!:

After this extended break I would be happy to put on another windsurfing intro session on this Sunday at 11ish for a forecast light westerly. There have been a few requests and I am not sure who is still interested so please confirm to me if you want to come out or if some of your friends will.

Willows Beach by the parking lot behind the Kiwanis Teahouse, 11a.m. (2-3 hrs) Sunday November 7th, 2010.

-Winds will likely be light
-I will focus on rigging and theory again for starters and get hopefully some or all of you on the water for a bit.
-You will need a wetsuit and booties/water shoes and a PFD/helmet is recommended.

................Or just bring a coffee and hang out.
-To be confirmed by 10 on Sunday, after I get at least three confirmations, thanks.

Kus

PS: any seasoned or not so seasoned veterans who want to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated :wink: Any Kiters who want to learn more about the WS sport, ur most welcome!
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Hey Kus dont know if i could be of any help out there, but if you need a hand loading gear or rescuing stranded sailors or anything let me know. If you have an extra boom bra or sofa pillow i'd lend out the carve 145 too if needed!