Wednesday October 2, 2024 Ross Bay, Wingfoiling
     Wednesday October 2, 2024 Conditions TOW Toys Used:
     Ross Bay, Wingfoiling W 12 - 17
    2 ft rollers later
    2.00 hours KT Ginzu Dragonfly 120
    KT Wing Air 5.0
    Quicksilver 5/4/3 LS
    F-one Phantom 1280
    Well that was disconcerting for a while. Launched with a new mast position, new impact vest and a windsurfing harness fitted with a new hook. For the first time in a long while, I didn't check the tether attachment to the board. One trip out and back with the harness needing adjustment, got that sorted and went out again. Tangled with a couple of patches of kelp, thought i was through and realized i was trailing some. Cleared that, restarted and realized detached fronds were wrapped on my board leash. Trailed that for a while and when it didn't clear and I was just outside Cattle and a bit downwind. I jumped in and started to pull the fronds away. Noticed the board moving away from me, saw the leash untied, and tried to catch it swimming. Almost there when the wing dragged me slow. Tried to drift to it using the wing upside down, but I went downwind and the board went 45 degrees over. Only one other winger out by then, and eventually UL Robin saw I didn't have a board and came to see why. He went in to look for the board and I tried to drift, then to lay on the wing and paddle over the front (would work for a short way, and you can get completely out of the water to stay warmer if needed), but seemed to be getting further from shore. Lay on my back and paddled with my arms towing the wing actually worked pretty well. One of the longest swims I've ever done but got myself over to Mike Baker who had my board (it had snagged in a kelp bed) and was paddling it out to me, having left Robin fighting kelp with his own board. Angellico (Highrocker) was also in the kelp having come to assist. Thanks so much everyone!!!!!! I was glad I'd worn my hood (BWD had mentioned the water was cold) and wasn't cold.

After I packed up and started the van I realized the lone winger who was still having a session at Cattle Pt had been in the water for a long time and appeared to be in self-rescue mode. I checked with binoculars to confirm and then launched my kayak to see if I could help. Low wind, fast current and kelp with the odd larger wave was the problem. I tried towing the wing while he paddled the board, which worked till a gust started launching it. Mostly stood by and spotted kelp patches. Learned I had been trying to steer the wing in rescue mode the wrong way.
    Propelled by Russian Dood aka Andrey Vozhakin ©2004-