Search found 250 matches

by SmallWaveSteve
Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:51 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Good kites for learning
Replies: 12
Views: 3818

While Razors aren't the best beginners kites they're not the worst. Any modern kite at Nitinat will be probably easier to learn on than beginner kites in Costa Rica. I took lessons with Marty on Razors when I was starting out and liked them better than the Rebels I used in the other lesson set. Not ...
by SmallWaveSteve
Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:58 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Esquimalt Ocean Access
Replies: 14
Views: 2985

Saxe looks like the better/less sketchy one as far as having people drifting into busy boating lanes and/or the cruise ship terminal if they have a bad gear failure, which I'm sure the municipalities would be concerned with.
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 pm
Topic: Esquimalt Ocean Access
Replies: 14
Views: 2985

FWIW a lot of the local freedivers/spearfishers frequent macaulay & saxe already, and would love better access.

I haven't been out there to look at it, but wouldn't that jetty at macaulay lend itself to a similar setup to the squamish spit?
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu May 12, 2016 1:29 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Windfest 2016
Replies: 43
Views: 22664

abetanzo wrote:We might be adding some boarder cross obstacles like in this video!

Sign up now to avoid not being included people!!! you could be the next twin tip Canadian Champ!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQKdRSw ... e=youtu.be
Dibs on being the guy at 0:50 and 1:24
by SmallWaveSteve
Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am
Topic: Places to go and Brains to pick?
Replies: 6
Views: 2177

For the time being I think you'd be better off sticking to Nitinat until you can stay upwind reliably, and definitely need to be able to self rescue. Once you can self rescue for sure there are a couple options that other have said (San Pareil/Island View), but the other spots you really need to be ...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:19 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Nitnat conditions
Replies: 3
Views: 2280

Nitinat is pretty simple: Look for fair weather and at the temp difference between bamfield and port alberni or lake cowichan, the bigger difference the better, but basically if it's 20degrees plus, it'll blow. If you look at the imaging on this site, when the fogbank sits on the coast it supercharg...
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 pm
Topic: Nitnat Lake
Replies: 2
Views: 1512

Thanks for the update! Any idea what time the wind came up at?
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:04 am
Topic: Ocean Rodeo Spring Kickoff BBQ
Replies: 33
Views: 16971

Too bad I won't be able to make it until the tail end, that flite would have made a nice replacement/upgrade for my Caution! 15m
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:47 am
Topic: Rockin the "Dad Bod" need a new wetsuit
Replies: 19
Views: 7258

Xcel is definitely the best in the fit department IMO - they have so many more sizes than most of the other companies, and some of the other seem to really weird fitting cuts (neil pryde/NPsurf come to mind). From the suits i've had ripcurls seem to have more stretch to them, so might be easier, but...
by SmallWaveSteve
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:46 pm
Topic: Ocean Rodeo Spring Kickoff BBQ
Replies: 33
Views: 16971

Sounds fun! I'll be out after work
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 am
Topic: Newbie looking for advice on gear, locations etc.
Replies: 17
Views: 7213

I see. You are probably right about them being school edition kites. I'll ask those guys about it. I do know that several kites which weren't as beefy tore on impact when students crashed them into the water on power. (I being one of them :oops: ) So that's why I was asking about getting a super be...
by SmallWaveSteve
Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:22 am

As for kites, I know OR has an excellent reputation internationally and make great kites, but I wonder if they are suitable for a beginner. I rented one for a day and compared to a Cabrinha I found it a bit too agile for my skill level. Also, they didn't have the Dacron leading edge like some of th...
by SmallWaveSteve
Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:36 am

You'll probably progress a bit quicker at nitinat than Bahia Salinas (unless you were at arenal, in which case I have no idea) as their conditions are tough for newbies, BUT their conditions will make you a better kiter. I'm a bit bigger than you (~92kg) and my go-to at nitinat is a 10m, as 'moo sai...
by SmallWaveSteve
Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 am
Topic: Looking for a Vacation Spot
Replies: 42
Views: 11373

I think I'm going to have to get an alaska credit card!
by SmallWaveSteve
Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:14 pm
Topic: Looking for a Vacation Spot
Replies: 42
Views: 11373

Probably not the 14.5 :D I brought a 7 & 10, that got me out most of the time, except for the odd day where it was nuking and borrowed a 5 from one of the girls. I used my 7 the majority of the time. It's usually lighter in the morning, ramps up for mid day, and then lighter in the evening and a...