Search found 16 matches

by windeemanic
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:16 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Lost Ben Wilson
Replies: 12
Views: 5438

This is the result of a lost kite, bar and lines drifting from Columbia Beach to Denman Island. 4 1/2 hrs to untangle.
by windeemanic
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Kite has been found on Tree Island off NE of Denman Island.
by windeemanic
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:17 am

No word on the kite. I last saw it heading up the strait past Eaglecrest. It was about 1km offshore deathlooping. Probably washed ashore on a remote beach.
by windeemanic
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Lost Ben Wilson

I unfortunately lost my 6m Ben Wilson bar and lines at Columbia Beach today. Last seen 1/2 km offshore heading towards Comox. The kite is Black and White with an Ocean Rodeo bar. Reward if found in good condition. Cheers!
by windeemanic
Sat May 28, 2016 5:30 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Gordons parking issues
Replies: 49
Views: 20332

I think it is good that we have actual intel from a reident. My guess is that it is non-regulars that are leaving garbage, cutting through yards, and blocking driveways. It is up to the regular kiters and windsurfers to educate the newbies. I have however seen girlfriends of kiters cutting through p...
by windeemanic
Thu May 26, 2016 6:57 am
Topic: Waves & right of way
Views: 4058

I realize that what I might say here will most likely be misinterpreted. I have been a JR local for 20 years and a surfer for 30 years. In my experience, etiquette is usually stemmed from safety. The reason SUP's, kayaks, jet skis, are "stink eyed" at the point is due to the serious injuri...
by windeemanic
Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:59 am
Topic: kiteboarding accidents / safety tips
Replies: 291
Views: 148455

The easy way to safely launch that I was taught by a certified instructor in Cabarete, was to be hooked in, have your launcher hold the kite, walk backwards to tighten the lines, have the launcher walk upwind or downwind while holding the kite in the launch position. What to look for is when the kit...
by windeemanic
Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:28 am
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: Orca nibble
Replies: 17
Views: 8948

About 20 years back on Gordon's Beach, I witnessed an orca beach itself and go after a dog. For about a minute the dog and orca were following each other down the beach...the dog barking at the orca and the orca belly sliding on the gravel. Pretty surreal.
by windeemanic
Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:50 pm
Topic: Solo kiter doing downwinder from Otter Point to Victoria
Replies: 2
Views: 1629

Solo kiter doing downwinder from Otter Point to Victoria

Does anyone know anything about the solo kiter doing a downwinder from Otter Point to maybe Victoria? He or she was last seen relaunching off of Secretary Island under powered. Blue kite. Feel free to call me at home. 250-646-2648.
Donovan
by windeemanic
Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:58 pm
Topic: Jordan River Erosion, Trees @Point
Replies: 57
Views: 12525

Point of fact through observation as a 25 year resident. The erosion at the point was never much of an issue due to WFP dredging the river on a yearly basis. The erosion became more accelerated with the introduction of the groin extending from the beach by the bridge. The dredging became less freque...
by windeemanic
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 am

I hope someone got photos of all the kids climbing around on the stack of logs in the parking lot at the Point. Or the excavator driving around, and loading the logs onto the parking lot with no flagging people or signage. Bt I guess that isn't t as big of a public safety issue as the dam bursting.
by windeemanic
Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 am
Topic: Add to our Westcoast Windsport Dictionary!!
Replies: 69
Views: 21646

Pole Squawker: A uptight vocal windsurfer with the seagull"mine, mine, mine" attitude.

Yard sale: The act of losing multiple items of clothing or equipment on a heavy wipeout.
by windeemanic
Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:28 am

The amount of rip rap that was there this summer was perfect. Plenty of kite launch area or picnic area. Top soil and grass would even be better. My concern though is that the amount of boulders needed to effectively maintain this would be more than what CRD would be willing to pay for. The complexi...
by windeemanic
Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am

I would like to see what a danger tree accessor would say about those trees.
by windeemanic
Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:01 am

I do understand that to some the trees are a iconic feature at the point. The reality is that the point is man made, and the trees are maybe 70 or so years old. I have been a resident for 25 years or so and have witnessed the progressive erosion of the beach at the point. The hard truth is that no m...