Mako Review

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mattdog

Mako Review

Post by Mattdog »

First impressions of Mako today at Lantzville. Wind 14-19, Kite diablo 14, chop. My other board is a custom 128x39.5 TT.

The Mako feels natural and easy to ride right away. The Foot pads - the flat big ones - are very comfortable. It's very smooth riding updwind and reaching, but bounces around a bit speeding downwind. The board bounces softly heading into chop as opposed to smacking and banging as some boards do. Although its 150cm long it doesn't feel big at all because its so narrow.

The board is quite loose. It slides around to toeside quickly and more effortlessly than any other board I've ridden, even at high speed. I think it also rides toeside more easily than any other board. You can really weight the front going toeside to trim the board better. Chop handling toeside seems like a revolution. On the Toeside to heelside carve I was getting more Gs than ever, although the tail was washing out on me at the end of the turn rather than continuing to carve. I'd be curious to try larger fins for more tracking (would the front one catch?). I wasn't able to slash/spray a quick transition like a TT.

Less low end than my TT I guess due to the width. Needs a bit more speed thru transitions to stay afloat.

Going fast downwing I found the board bounced a banged a bit in the chop - no better here than a normal TT. Did't seem to be faster either.

Less pop than my TT but it's incredibly easy to land and stick no whip back flips.

Jumping height seemed normal. Though I wasn't able to hold the edge as late as my TT it seemed and was getting pulled downwind when beginning to send the kite. The landings sometimes felt flat and very hard.

I don't know if its an optical illusion but the hull seems to have a slight negative rocker at the utmost tips.

Overall its an impressive board. I think the smooth ride and superb carving will make it a great georgia straight board. I expect I will grow to appreciate it even more.
Signature Block.
craig myers

Post by craig myers »

The mako is a very interesting board. The outline seems a bit retro, but the bottom is pure rocket science. I haven't riden anything else since I bought mine 3 months ago, I want to, but this board is just a great all around shape with a really good speed that is super easy to adapt to.
I love to ride toeside, and only my directional can touch this thing for upwind ability...must be the narrow width.
Ocean Rodeo is a damn good kite company, local too.
Hope you all are getting some good sessions in! I've been harrassing the BEST bus crew at Jetty Island this weekend with my mako and Diablo, I think their best riders are somewhere else because its been too easy.
rodeo clown
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Seems I'm incrementally becoming an OR groupie. First the Diablo, now the Mako. Hopefully a Pyro soon as well. Christ all their names end in "O": Rodeo, mako, pyro, bronco, diablo, go jo. What about the Ono and the Stingo ?
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

I assume you've read the 4 'MAKO' threads on the O.R. site. http://www.oceanrodeo.com/forum.html Craig's wife is still a little jealous.
Thermals are good.
craig myers

Post by craig myers »

This thng is different. It really is. Nothing else out there like it.
I've put about 40 hours on this thing so far and its still revealing abilitys to me that just make me smile. If you need just one board for all conditions, this baby could be it. But the stuff this board likes the most is the crap that kills your knees... short period chop and confused seas. It just mows it over like one of those long travel off road trucks that seem to gobble up potholes and logs and ditches. It does it so fast, that your lips get pulled back from the force of the wind, I'm not kidding. Drool covered wind burnt lips and sunburnt teeth. Those are the tell tale signs of a mako rider.
rodeo clown
tom

Post by tom »

First day on the mako. Wind: 21-Gusty to 28. 2 foot swell, confused seas in spots. 10m bronco.
Agree with Mdog. comfortable , chop eater, feels smaller than it is, super easy sliding to toe. adjusted foot straps while in the chop super easy.
Lit it up through badly confused seas to 2 foot- off Clover Point, and at high speed performed very well- controlled at high speed and like an ATV- stuck well. Ripped up wind. Felt real slidy at first, but never in a bad way- just nice and loose. Never lost an edge. In toe to heel slashing on the inside swell- I did as Ross told-think rail not fins. Didnt slide out at all, just dug in the rail hard and shot up more water in the arc- not just spray. Felt sweet- a deep gouge, ratehr than a shallow laceration. Like the 150 water line, and the rounded tail/nose- wouldnt want it any shorter for my size ( 195 lbs). Pearled it a few times on toeside, but an easy toeside feeling. Felt that I was scooting around faster than usual- this speed seemed to carry me through some of the lulls. Maintained speed and great acceleration coming out of toeside turn on the inside flats. Best feeling board I have tied so far.. Thanks for the demo Ross.
asscrack

Mako

Post by asscrack »

:D This board is the sweetest board I have ever ridden.Smooth in the chop,and even sweeter in the waves.Hold's an edge either tack,but still remains loose for the transitions.My knee's have never felt better. All round board.This board is pretty much for every style of riding.The size,allow's for huge range of wind,light to strong,this board rocks. :lol: When jumping, feels well balanced.Although,in strong winds a smaller version,would probably be preffered.Possibly in the work's.Constuction has come a long way scince conception.Seems to take a beating,looking forward to see the next model. :P
Last edited by asscrack on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Asscrack, how do you position the board when landing. For me it wants to land flat with a lot of impact.
Signature Block.
asscrack

Mako

Post by asscrack »

Nose down,line up for the surface,down wind direction and give er!!!! :roll: Was doing a lot of that today at the G spot.30 knts and lots of ramps.ha!Yeh Haah! :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

You sure were !!!
Thermals are good.
asscrack

Mako

Post by asscrack »

The Mako was really working well,wasn't it Jimmy.HEEEEEEEEEE! HAAAAAAAA! :shock:
JL

Post by JL »

Wave riddin', rippin', good time allright !!!
Thermals are good.