Insurance Help/Advice needed

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Teabag

Insurance Help/Advice needed

Post by Teabag »

Got flooded in my basment suite (9inch water everywhere). Moving out.
Content damage: 5k-7k$

Insurance are not there yet, the adjustor came quickly on Sunday, but he was so busy with other flood. The claim is not even started yet, and I have no idea whatsoever if they are going to cover the damage. The adjustor said; if they call it a natural disaster he think I that I wont be cover. (creek overflow big time)

I don't understand the drain story that he tried to explain to me; if I have a drain in the basment I would be cover for sure, but without one (which is the case) my chances become slim.

Why is that? The woman who sold me that extra "flood protection inssurance" because I live in the basement suite should have told me that drain deal.
I just want to take a birck and brake their insurance office window at night.
(won't do it now since I write it but they pi#$% me off!!)

Anyway hopefully I ll know by this week, but it look like it is going to take months.

If any of you work for insurances (or know someone who does) can you please explain me why the drain thing is such a big deal.
And if possible what are my odds to get reimburse?

Thanks a lot, Ian
windsurf247

drain

Post by windsurf247 »

That sucks dude. A drain in the basement would prevent the basement from flooding, unless of course the drain backed up and caused the flood :? You've got to read the small print in that stack of papers they give you. That's where they get ya.
Good luck amigo.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm guessing, but if you were sold the additional policy by an insurance company over and above the standard coverage, and you were led to believe that it covered accidental flooding, you might be OK. Not if its an 'act of god' though. I have had salesmen fuming, tapping their foot, walking in small circles, etc when I have insisted on actually reading what I was signing - and then asking them questions they needed to call their office managers to answer. I don't bother on something lrelatively small ike a cell phone plan, but do for insurance/car loan etc.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!
dcardew

Post by dcardew »

My bmst flooded in Nov. Luckily it was covered. The reason why it was covered is because a drin backed up and caused the flood. If a mass amount of water just happened to fall on my house and it flooded even though the drain was there and clear, then it wouldn't be covered.

I guess their reasoning for that is to ensure owners do as much as possible to decrease the chances of a flood, ie. installing a drainage system. It sounds like the creek clogged (same as a pipe would?) and then flooded your place, did you pitch that to the insurance company?!?

It took 1.5months for my place to get fixed, and that was on the fast side because I called my insurance people until they got a company out to fix it, and then I kept in touch with them to ensure it got fixed quickly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. – Tom Waits
morewind

Post by morewind »

damn ironic that the connection to the city storm drain, which is needed for insurance, is the thing that caused the flood and the resulting claim :?

same thing happened to our neighbours two days ago - city storm system backs up, and gushes into basement, flooding and soaking everything. Insurance coverage - yup. with no city storm drain connection they'd still be living there - go figure.
Tedz

Post by Tedz »

i hate inssurence company's,hope it works out for you
bricktop

insurance

Post by bricktop »

That story is very upsetting. Insurance companies are ruining a great many things in our lives. Just wait till next year, after all these claims that ACTUALLY get paid out....the result, higher insurance costs. We saw a huge jump in premiums after the Kelowna fires. Time for the government to step in and regulate these low life crooks.
Which office needed a window job?
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Forget the window job, it was totally stupid from my part to think of it, even worst to writte it down. I guess I was very mad and depress. It wouldnt solve anything and it is bad karma. It is my own fault if I didnt read enough, even if I would have known this drain thing, I would have chosen to stay there believing that something like this would never happen.

When I press "paused" and think of it for a moment (leaving emotions and frustrations aside), I realize that it is not a big deal at all. There is other things much more important in life. Now laughing of it when looking at those flood pictures.

Thank you guys for sharing your advices, experiences and wishing me good luck:) I am getting ride of some stuff, if any of you is interested;

-BBQ Broil King with propane bottle half full, 25$ u pick up (was 349$ 5 years ago, not new but still works fine and will still work for at least 2-3 more years, no bbq rain cover include since it got stolen a long time ago)
Selling it because I can`t have a BBQ at this new place.

-"stylish" corner computer desk, 30$, u pick up (glass and black color metal, my ex gf choice). I am selling it because I want something bigger, and I dont care as much of what the look of it will be.

382-6978 tomorow before 13:00 or this week end would be the best for pick up.
(Please forgive my bad english, still learning)

Thanks again, Ian
extremekindness Erik

Crappy deal!

Post by extremekindness Erik »

Hey dude,

Sorry to hear about all your flooding. Sucks. Perhaps you can rent out your space for the second half the month as a skating rink to help recoup costs.

SHessh.

I may be able to take that "stylish" desk off your hands if it fits my space. (I have no need for such things as "style")

I may even have a bigger more stylish desk that you may be intersted in.

Good luck with the move.

Have a successful day,

EKE.

857-3745.