Need Help: removing snapped screw from board

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
morewind

Need Help: removing snapped screw from board

Post by morewind »

I broke the head off a footstrap screw sailing today :cry: :x . Now there is the remnants of a stainless steel screw in my board.

I'm hoping the BWD hivemind has some ideas on how to remove it ... Should I try to drill it out? Wingnut suggested it's a bugger to drill out stainless.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

talk to Phatty

he had similar problem last year and as far as I know solved it successfully.
Cancer must die!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i think you will need to get yourself a tap or screw extractor. or, try experimenting with a new footstrap position untill someone offers up a kit..
you can also take it easy on the footstraps in the future by landing forwards on your ass!
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I have no idea if this would work, or if you want to experiment with
your gear..
But what about using a metal to metal crazy glue,
to glue another screw to the top of the old one.
Could be a dumb idea, especialy if there's no stem sticking out.
But you never know if your stuck. ha stuck!
asscrack

Snapped screw

Post by asscrack »

Hey Mike,you will have to get yourself a kit.Drill in the center or the screw and use and easy out tap.I think i have the kit. 380 -1970
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
Windsurfish

Screw extractor

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi,

As long as you are SS screw into plastic, the screw extractor will do the trick. Take care when pilot drilling the broken screw not to "heat it up" too much, or you will melt the insert (easy to extract it, but you will bugger the insert up). Hope you don't get screwed around by the removal.....
TomS

Screwed

Post by TomS »

Mike

I don't think you will be able to use a screw extractor. Stainless screws are very hard to drill.....You may go through a few drill bits.....Depending on the type of inserts (the large Chinook single bolt insert) you may be able to get another screwhole next to the screw.......best of luck, I've got a spare insert if you need it.

Tom
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
morewind

Post by morewind »

Success :D

The screw extractor method worked :!:

Here are the details in case others run into the same problem:

1. drill out the middle of the screw. I used a Makita 5/64" Titanium Nitride coated drill bit. About $3 at CanTire. I drilled down maybe 1/4". I drilled for a couple of seconds at a time, allowing the screw to cool between drillings. No problems with the screw heating up and melting the plastic insert. The broken screw appeared to already have a tiny hole down the middle. That allowed the bit to nicely track into the screw. (but I wonder if this hole was partly responsible for the breakage?).

2. remove broken screw with Mastercraft No 1 screw extractor (1/8" - 1/4' size). About $6 cost at CanTire. I turned the screw extractor with a vice-grip.

It came out pretty easily.

Big thanks to everyone who either posted their ideas here or PM'd me :!: :D
JL

Post by JL »

Then it's official...Morewind has a screw loose.
Thermals are good.