Prince Rupert Wind June-July

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Prince Rupert Wind June-July

Post by more force 4 »

Anyone know what to expect in terms of wind in Prince Rupert Harbour in the early summer? The city forecast for the 5 days talks about SE "windy", and then SE 40-60 kmph, but is that unusual (like yesterday at CB?) I haven't been able to find any wind graphs on the web. Do NW come in there much? I'm hoping to have some 15 knotish stuff to get the Kona and the Superfreak 7.0 going. And I'll have right down to 4.5 and a smallish fin to calm the beast and at least get out if it does blow.

Best launches in/around town?

I'm planning to do a weekend or two at Lakelse Lake - I think that is a lot windier than the coast. And I've heard that sailing the lower Skeena works sometimes, not sure what winds, and might not be good for wood etc now its flooding (on the other hand, I guess you can drive and park right on the highway and launch into the oncoming lane :!: :?
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO RUPERT?
DO NOT KITE THE SKEENA RIVER UNLESS YOU HAVE SUPPORT: IF YOU HAVE A RECK AND END UP ON THE OTHER SIDE; IT COULD BE A LONG WALK HOME WITH A GRIZZ ON YOUR TAIL: THEY LIVE BY THE RIVER THIS TIME OF YEAR:
GO UP THE NISGA HIGHWAY TO KALEM LAKE 60 KM NORTH OF TERRACE:: THAT IS THE SPOT: YOU CAN GET OUT ANY WHERE ALONG ITS LENGTH: 10km DOWN WINDERS!
IN THE HARBOUR BY RUPERT THERE IS VERY LITTLE IN THE WAY OF BEACHES WITH GOOD EXPOSURE:
south of rupert there are posibilities. it is the old town site that is now a museum. i forget the name but it has a shallow gravel bottom bay with plenty of room to rip. :?: :idea: :?:
Chase the day, not the dollar.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thansk for the info Smack. Why Rupert? Gotta chase the money sometimes! :wink:

I've been in Rupert a few times, but never with gear. I'm windsurfing not kiting and I'll have a longboard with me so I can go in lighter winds and sketchier launches than a kite can, so I'm hoping to find a place to launch. THe Cow Bay gov't dock would do in a pinch, and I could probably go where were working south of the Fairview Terminal (nice beaches there, but I think not much wind, though SE might be OK). I really can't remember a municipal park on the water there, though there must be something?

I camped at Nitinat with a bunch of PR sailors who were down to get their main fix. THey said Skeena River sometimes (maybe they ment Inverness Passage, Port Edward, is that the museum you were thinking of?), but Lakelse Lake often has good thermals and the hotsprings for afterwards are a nice touch! Lakelse or Kalum Lake are a pretty long drive, OK for weekends but with sunset not till after 10 right now I'm hoping for some evening sessions.
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

I lived in Prince Rupert for 13 years and if you're going to be sailing there, head to the beaches by the grain terminal. They are the best on all wind directions except for easterlies. However, in Prince Rupert you'll very seldom see easterlies. Also, be sure to check tide charts because the tides up north can be much more dramatic than in Victoria. If you are considering going to Lakelse Lake, you'd be better off driving the extra 20 minutes and sailing in Kitimat. There is a public park that Alcan has built right on the water and in the summer months you can get good thermal winds there. Good Luck!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks Stammy. Google Earth has just got some hi res (though its very fuzzy) of PRH. THe clarity is much better for Kitimat. Is the park in Kitimat on the Alcan side of the inlet, or the Kitamaat village side (I think I remember a park over that side)
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

It's on the Alcan side, if I remember right there is a river that flows into the inlet just by the park