Dumb Questions about Baja

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Kite Kook

Dumb Questions about Baja

Post by Kite Kook »

So, Rob is complaining about humidity down in La Ventana. Now, I have never been down there, but it has been described to me as desert. This, to me, implies dry. Like when I was in Phoenix, it was @ 10%, and you could leave your potato chips out for a week and they wouldn’t go stale….

I know it’s on the water, and thus not dry as a bone, but what is the general level of humidity like in La Ventana? I would think it might be different than for La Paz?

I am hoping to spend some time down there this winter, and I would like to know people’s impression of the humidity level.

OH, and another Q - I prefer warm wet suits (I wear a 6/5/4 at Cook). Would I be better of in a 4/3 for January in Baja, or a 3/2?

Thanks!
Vive et Ama
AC

suits

Post by AC »

a shorty or a 3/2 would be fine Paul.
Drink beer not water.
and go see a cock fight if you can
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Paul - I seem to remember it was very dry. It was hot in the day and quite cold at night. And sometimes it seemed cold in the day even in the sun due to wind. I'm planning on heading down Dec and or Jan so we'll see each other at La Ventana! And I used a 5 mil suit the whole time and was not cold at all. Sweating in the suit many times... so a 3/4 would be good.
curses - foiled again!
bricktop

Baja

Post by bricktop »

ehh heh ehhh heh....Ac said Cock.....heh ehhhh hhh hh hhh heh
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

3/2 maybe for late Feb, 4/3 for Jan..

I went in late Jan early Feb, too cold over time with shortie, sweatshirt & fleece at night, 80-90 during day but water still coolish :roll: don't recall an issue w/ humidity
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Humidity and heat? Just go to Ottawa this Saturday where its going to be 30C!! :shock:
Signature Block.
asscrack

Heat and Humidity

Post by asscrack »

Hey Paul,It's still kind of the end of the rainy season,that's why it is humid.Getting really warm during the day,no wind to blow away the moisture.So,November is generally the start of the wind downwards from USA over the Sea Of Cortez towards La Ventana and south.Warm during the day, with light winds,cooling dramatically at night.You need a thin suit for the water,and warm sleeping bag that can breath a bit,at night.Especially with your gal keeping you warm as well.Lucky guy,have a good trip,take lots of sunscreen,cheers,me.Warm flatuations,cheers,me :roll: http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=21 check this link.
Last edited by asscrack on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Hey Paul, for what its worth ...... November and early December I wore a 3 ml suit, then come later December and January I pulled out the 5/4/3. I hate being cold and those choices suited me fine. Its really hot and humid right now but it gets down right pleasant as the winter goes on. Ie the temp goes down as does the humidity.The nights can be chilly so bring layers. My fleece pants were my best friend later in January. Looking forward to seeing you and Sandra down in LV. Cheers Deborah :)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Fluffy has it about right. I wear board shorts and rash guard untill sometime in early nov. then a 3 mil wetsuit from then on but I would prefer a 4/3 in Jan early feb. I do get cold easily.
But not right now. The things we do for the front row! It is a desert but next to the ocean it is hot and humid. While setting up the campsite, I spray a hose over me (with shirt and shorts on) about every 15 minutes and the evaporation helps to cool you somewhat. not much gets done between 10 and 4pm though. we sit by the fan which is running off the batteries and inverter. It should start to cool slightly by the 15 of October, they say!
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

Paul,

Maybe we were lucky with unusually warm weather last year, but I was there for a week in January last year and I rode without a wetsuit the whole time and was fine... I just wore a 2mm long sleeve rash guard and it was perfect. If you have to use a 4mm suit you may as well stay in BC for the winter....See you there.

Cheers,

Evan
:D
Attachments
Baja.jpg
Baja.jpg (132.35 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Evan,

Nice pic. See you in Jan/feb?
We are on the front row with the OR flag of course!
Nice and relatively cool today with a North wind. 8M Rise yesterday with the 08 mod.

Martin
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

Hi Martin,

I'll be there for our official crew event at the end of January. Glad to you hear that you are large and in charge again this year! The season in San Francisco came to a grinding halt a few days ago (just storms and clearing winds now) so you may see me down for a personal trip long before then.....

Cheers,

Evan
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Hey - Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated! I am stoked to get down there and get some sun. Hope to see you early '08!

Martin and Rob - you guys have it good - wish I could be with you now!

Cheers,
Paul
Vive et Ama
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

Hey Martino- how are the solar panels working for ya?
colin

Post by colin »

hey martin,

what kite size do you use most frequently?
kite+waves=!