Solar Power for Camping

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Kite Kook

Solar Power for Camping

Post by Kite Kook »

This topic was taking up too much room on the message board which I believe is supposed to be wind related, so I thought I would move it here.

Thanks everybody for your input so far.

Eastside - I found this online. Is this the product you speak of?:http://www.costco.ca

It seems more expensive than the CT product (though does include a charge protector).

Carmanah and Energy Alternatives both sell nice RV Solar units, but are far too expensive for me. I am looking for 45W (or 15x3) panel that I hope will suffice for the tent trailer we are taking down. From talking to friends, I am thinking a charge protector won't be needed?

Any additional comments/suggestions are welcome.
Vive et Ama
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

These are the original message board posts for the sake of archival searching and to aid in future reference:

Kite Kook: Almost enough wind to lure me out. Almost... Say, does anyone know where to get a good deal on solar panel's - Oct 10 4:30PM

Kite Kook: Thanks Johny, but I'm trying to buy local. Note the shipping costs on that are as much as the product! Looking for @ 45 Watt panel for Baja... :) - Oct 10 6:36PM

Fluffy:
Hey Paul, try Carmanah technologies, for new solar panels (they're local) and or try used victoria or craigs list for used. Good luck Debs - Oct 10 8:06PM

Kus: I use crappy tire 15W panels, ea 80bucks on sale, pretty good so far. 45watts =huge power 4Baja - Oct 11 12:08AM

Mattdog: in the past solar panels cost $10 per watt so $80 for 15 watts is very good, Plus they are small enough to stack and tuck away compared to a bigger panel. I would try Energy Alternatives in Victoria - they are a very good company. I think Carmanah is more into traffic lights etc. - Oct 11 10:56AM

Kus: yes, is why I got them, rounded corners & mount holes, easy storage, seem to work, plastic frames not too solid tho. 3=45watts which can be handled by one overload protector/diode, $25, $8 on sale - Oct 11 4:19PM

Eastside: costco has/had 3 pack 17 watt each including overcharge protection for $300. Think they are coleman. Look similar to Canadian Tire 15 watt unit. Full retail on CT units are up to $150 each plus overcharge protection unit, last time I looked. Wish I was going somewhere solar. - Oct 11 5:00PM
Vive et Ama
eastside

Post by eastside »

At the Costco store in Nanaimo they had a 3 pack kit for the $300. I bought the kit several monthes ago. They have swap meets at La Ventana where I have seen them used although you would be out of luck (solar) if they weren't there. Haven't had an opportunity to use the coleman units except for keeping the batteries charged in the trailer. Seems to be working fine. Also have 2 CT units which look similar.
TomS

Solar

Post by TomS »

Paul
I have solar that I bought for my van that I use in LaVentana. Your power demands will dictate how many watts you need.

For myself I have 1 - 75 watt solar panel mounted flat on my vans roofrack. I have 2 (size 27 group) 12 volt batteries. It was made by Shell and came with a charging regulator made by Carmanah, I purchased it at Peden RV in Sidney, from Tony Hoffman who also camps in LaVentana. Price anywhere for a 80 watt panel complete with controler and wiring will be roughly $800. 2 - 6 volt batteries with heavy-duty copper wiring and extra wiring to your vehicles alternater and battery will be ~ $350

For power needs myself I have a regular hightop van with basic lighting, Sirius satilite radio, a power amp, an extra pair of remote speakers that I can set up outside, I have a few outlets to run my laptop computer, re-charge my cell phone, camera, MP3 player etc.

My panel is mounted flat, and I do not swivel it to face the sun every hour, 75 works fine for me. I wished I had bought the 2 - 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries, I started out with 1 - (size 24 group) 12 volt battery but it was not enough. The satilite radio is a bit of a power hog.

Paul, you can get RV Solar stuff in LaPaz and with our dollar strong it may not be a bad idea. There are lots of knowledgable solar people in LaVentana to set you up.

Paul, PM me if you want to check out my setup
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... ue#reviews

$100 per, tx, you're in biz
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... Panel++30W
30 watts but no mounting holes, metal, non-rounded, tough to store away

charge controller http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true

8) sorry, don't know how to set up the links :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
eastside

Post by eastside »

I have an extra canadian tire 7 amp charge controller(never used) like one in Kus link will sell for 1/2 price $20 if interested. 15 watt panel seems to be back to $100. If you are constantly draining battery you probably don't need one if don't have too big an array. I permanently attached the panels at different spots on the trailer to get different angles to the sun. I tried moving them around but too much hassle. I use 2- 6 volt batteries. Like Tom suggested good idea to check out what others have/ their power usage to see what you actually need. I am electrically challenged so trying to figure it all out has/is a challenge. Try googling 12 volt side of life for article.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

hey all, thanks for the advice.

I just got an email from my friend down in La Ventanna, and he has suggested that I do NOT buy the Canadian Tire product, as he did. He say it's not performing very well, and he already broke one panel.

My problem is that we are borrowing the tent trailer, so are not looking for a permanent set-up.

Does anybody have used solar panels they want to sell? How about to rent? Anyone not heading down have some available?

Given the high price here, I might try to pick something up on the way (we're heading through Phoenix).

I remain open to suggestions.

Vive et Ama
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I have had good charging from what I can tell from my two panels 15W each but the frames warped and almost came apart. 5 year warranty tho and I was given two brand new ones and new wiring, no questions asked. Not great but not bad for returns so I figure I'm good for another 5 years 8)
Next set I will wrap the frames in an aluminum frame upon mounting :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....