Skate-sailing

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Skate-sailing

Post by winddoctor »

This is old skool fun, but I'm really surprised no one does it anymore, namely skate-sailing! Just rig up an old beat up 5.0 and mount it to a skateboard deck (longer is better) and go session the cruise ship port area in Victoria. Any wind direction works; you just need about 10 knots of wind to have fun. The same muscles get used as in windsurfing and there is the added challenge of going without a harness. Switch stance moves can be learned quickly and things like hoss-tacks, 360s, duck jibes, ghost jibes etc can be learned in a session. You are building muscle memory for the water, so you stay much more sharp than sitting around reading posts like this in between sessions :wink:

RD and I have had great sessions skate sailing and really feel the benefits of the work out. Try it out! I had a great session at 12pm today solo. Learned switch stance clew first flakas today :wink:
Poultry in motion
frank

Post by frank »

doc,

you ain't alone.....ti-Guy never stopped

www.windskate.ca
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

dude If not for the work I'd be all over it
Cancer must die!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

what sort of boards are you guys using?
heres a couple longboards i built this year.. i have yet to try one with a sail, there is a shortage of paved windy areas around my place. (but lots of hills to bomb) :twisted:

winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Nice rides, DWD!

RD built both of our decks. They look much like the 2nd board with flames in the 1st shot.
Poultry in motion
Ross

Post by Ross »

If anyone has any old ( anything newer than 1985 is new for me) mast booms etc.. let me know.Definately would be in to skatesailing again!
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

Hey RH- didnt you guys have a sponsored contest in the save on foods parking lot like 17 years ago or somethin?..
I still have the helmet with the massive ding, from doing my first skate sailing nightime forward loop coming down the hill at cattle point boat ramp.. I didnt land it...
That sucked.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Ross,

I've got a 5.5 in really good cond. that you can have if you like. Needs a 430 mast. I've got a mast ext for you too if you need it.

Keen, you can go pretty cheap on the deck, but you'll have more fun with a good set of longboard trucks (stable at speed) and big 70mm wheels. The trucks and wheels can be spendy, but cheaper ones work well enough too. Like I mentioned earlier, find a tired mast, 5.0, and old boom and go for it. Pavement is harsh on gear (and skin) so wear some protection (RD prefers buttless chaps and a time trial helmet). A sweet acid washed jean jacket, old leiderhosen and a mullet wig work for me.

Today was sailable again. Dry NE winds are really fun.
Poultry in motion
TomS

skatesailing

Post by TomS »

I remember smaller sails such as 4.0 and 4.5 working very well for skatesailing, 5.5 might be a bit big. Once you have enough wind to get moving on a skateboard your boardspeed adds to your apparent wind. Jibes are almost effortless because the board does not slow down as it does in water. With just a little boardspeed it is also very easy to sail close hauled into the wind which allows for more freestyle off the wind. Smaller sails would handle better for freestyle, after a few hours practice you can use your regular sails and booms. If you are still dropping your sail, you should quit, falling is just not an option. You should be balancing your body with the weight of the sail with just your fingertips.

I also remember using an empty styrofoam cup on the pavement for a wind gauge, lay it on it's side if it rolls there is enough wind to rig up. Place it upside down on the pavement, if it blows away, there is too much wind for skatesailing, "time to go to the beach".

As for changing tacks I never bothered to switch my feet over, just a little twist of the body allows for sailing on the opposite tack. Not being a true skateboarder I found it safer not move my feet.

With skatesailing you need a large smooth area of pavement, a neighbourhood road just isn't big enough. If the pavement isn't smooth enough the vibration will numb the bottom of your feet after a half an hour of cruising around. Nightime skatesailing in a well lit mall is a blast using the lampstands to jibe around.....until the mall security trys shuting you down.

As far as safety goes, a helmet and protection for hands if you were to fall would be a must. In the mid-80's a well known US windsurfer / boardbuilder (Craig Stoetsel..... sp?)died skatesailing. Be careful and enjoy!
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
Tedz

Post by Tedz »

http://www.kitewing.com/ anyone ever try one of these?? looks like allot of fun
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I'm selling a Landyachtz Drop Carve long board for $200 if anyone's interested. Its like new and they retail for $316. Really fun board to ride anywhere.
Signature Block.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Hey TomS

I hear ya. Almost killed myself a few years ago on a regular sketeboard with the sail switching feet. Knocked myself out cold for a few sec.

That's why I think sailing on a regular skateboard is not such a good idea. Logner board would be an order. I found regular long boards being too long (that's just me). That's why I built my own. And yes I do use 4.5 it's enough for me, but Winddoc is a different story all together. His mullet wig creates too much drag that why he needs bigger sail. Also he didn't mention that but he wears prosthetic beer gut for frontal protection - that might slow him down a little as well. But what do I know I am not a rocket surgeon.
Cancer must die!
KC7777

Skate sailing

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Looking at some skateboard decks on eBay....would you go for a 60" or 48" deck?

Thanks,

Keith.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Mine is 36" with no back kick
Cancer must die!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Keith,

I'd go around 40-45 for easier switching of feet, but your turning radius will be bigger too. Go wide trucks and big wheels too. RD's custom decks are working super well, but a bit more length and width would be nice.
Poultry in motion