Travel Trivia

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

heres some travel trivia you can use

Surfers warn of armed robberies while camping on Mexican coast

By Terry Rodgers and Anna Cearley
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

November 14, 2007

The fear is growing.

Southern California surfers have reason to be especially wary about venturing to Baja California after a spate of armed robberies by paramilitary-style criminals.

About a half-dozen robberies and carjackings that targeted U.S. surfers en route to camping spots along the 780-mile Baja California peninsula have occurred since June, accordingng to unconfirmed tallies reported via the Internet.

Mexican authorities said they've heard of few such crimes since August, but concede that American tourists may not be stopping to report the incidents before returning to the United States.

In addition to the buzz created by online postings, members of the Swamis Surfing Association heard from one of their own last night about the heightened crime risk.

Pat Weber of Encinitas talked during the club's meeting about his traumatic experience last month at Cuatro Casas, a popular but remote surfing spot about 200 miles south of the border.

Weber said he and his girlfriend had gone to Baja to escape the foul air caused by the wildfires in San Diego County. Just after sundown Oct. 23, two men wearing military clothing and ski masks confronted the couple. Weber said he initially refused to come out of his motor home, but surrendered after the robbers fired a shot into the vehicle.

“They made us get down on all fours – execution position – and put guns to our heads,” said Weber, who owns the San Diego Surfing Academy in Carlsbad.

The gunmen sexually assaulted his girlfriend before stealing $10,000 worth of computers, video cameras and other gear, he said.

Weber had logged more than 500 days in Baja and taken dozens of students there over the past 10 years. He now considers it hazardous territory.

“My career guiding surfing tours into Mexico is over,” he said. “I'm cutting it off. I'm urging everyone else for their safety to do the same.”

Unlike many other victims, Weber stopped in Ensenada to report the robbery and assault to police. He wasn't the only recent victim at Cuatro Casas.

On Sept. 16, three San Diego-area surfers camping there were robbed at gunpoint by two men fitting the same description as those who attacked Weber and his girlfriend.

The three surfers, each in their 20s, were rousted from their tents at midnight and robbed by the masked men. The victims lost everything but their vehicle and keys. Terrified, they did not report the crime until they had returned home.

Some visitors don't trust Mexican law-enforcement officers, who have been linked to corruption and criminal groups over the years. Other travelers just want to put the trauma behind them as quickly as possible.

Mexican authorities said they have increased patrols along the U.S.-Mexico border highway, Calle Internacional, and along Mexico Highway 1 leading to the Ensenada toll road.

Investigators need help from victims to solve the recent cases, said Antonio Martínez Luna, the attorney general for Baja California. Mexican tourism officials have assigned a liaison to document the robberies and encourage people to provide more information.

“There are lots of things we need to go over,” Luna said. “As more time passes, the trail is lost and the memory is lost.”

Several recent crimes against surfers – and one against fishermen – were roadside robberies.

In each of those cases, the perpetrators fooled tourists into pulling off the road by using flashing lights similar to those mounted on police cars. These thieves forced their victims to kneel and put firearms to their heads.

On Aug. 26, a group of anglers traveling along the border highway were carjacked and robbed. They later reported it on a sportfishing Web site.

Five days later, a similar crime occurred about 4:30 a.m. along the same stretch of the highway.

In that incident, three surfers from North County were traveling in two trucks. A group of armed men pulled them over just north of the Ensenada toll road. The surfers were forced out of their vehicles at gunpoint, and one was ordered to kneel and crawl down the face of a cliff as if he were about to be executed.

The gunmen took the trucks and other equipment – worth $60,000 – and left the surfers dazed on the roadside.

Eric “Bird” Huffman, owner of SouthCoast Surf Shop in Pacific Beach, has traveled to Baja for more than 30 years. He now considers it too risky to travel anywhere within 100 miles of the border.

Huffman said his apprehension is based on a proliferation of harrowing stories from his customers.

“The bad guys are obviously getting more aggressive,” he said. “It's like the frickin' Wild West down there.”

Some people posting comments on various surfing and sportfishing Web sites have speculated whether members of the Zetas, a gang tied to drug traffickers, committed some of the crimes. But U.S. law enforcement agents who track violent trends in Mexico could not confirm any connection with the Zetas.

At the Hotel La Fonda, a popular oasis for travelers along the Baja coast, general manager Alejandro Martinez said he hasn't noticed a drop in the number of American surfers.

But Joe Segal of Hawaii, who operates a Web site that offers Mexican car insurance and guide books on Baja surfing, said his sales dipped sharply after articles about the robberies spread on the Internet.

“Southern California surfers are affected by this the most because they are the ones who regularly drive down there to escape the California scene,” Segal said.

Carol Kramer, co-owner of the Baja Discover Travel Club in San Diego, said she has urged Baja tourism officials to address the latest crime fears swiftly and decisively.

“You always hear about the 'mordidas' – the bribes. But these recent incidents were far more severe,” said Kramer, referring to the longtime practice of Mexican police officers taking bribes for trumped-up traffic citations.

“(Mexican officials) have to realize that if this keeps happening, they will cut off their foot, and tourism will dwindle,” she added.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexi ... 4baja.html
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

DWD - Nasty! Takes the shine off driving down to Baja, maybe better to fly La Paz and stay in the southern bit?

Jeamer: I did make the same points you did about 2-D projection and distance/angle differences between them and spherical. The "Great Circle" distances given in Wavos Rancheros' last are in spherical geometry: and Google Earth, uses the same, you can see that if you look at the globe from way off and use the measuring tool between continents- the line is curved to follow the earth's surface. Ain't software grand, non-mathmeticians can do some of this stuff now!

I used Wavos' three waypoints, put into Global Earth, and added a fourth, due N of Victoria and due E of the north island, as opposed to the SW Wavos Point 3. The numbers I got using GE were almost identical to Wavos for the difference between his points, but the NE one is quite different. THe N-S distance is the same 266km, but the E-W is only 333 km instead of 350 km - the nearly 20 km difference is due to the longitude lines getting closer together as you get closer to the north pole.

Re: wind. Help is on the way before we all go crazy (er)
THE FIRST GENUINELY STRONG SYSTEM ARRIVES EARLY NEXT
WEEK...THE 12Z ECMWF IS AN INTERESTING OUTLIER...IT TAKES A 991MB
LOW THRU 48N 130W 12Z MONDAY AND DEEPENS IT TO A 981MB CENTER JUST
SOUTH OF VANCOUVER ISLAND 00Z TUE THEN FILLS IT AS IT TRACKS SE THRU
WRN WA MON NIGHT. THE MUCH MORE REALISTIC LOOKING 12Z GFS TAKES A
998MB LOW INTO SRN B.C. EARLIER IN THE DAY MONDAY. RAIN LOOKS PRETTY
LIKELY BY MONDAY EITHER WAY...WITH SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS...
Gramma Jo

Travel Trivia

Post by Gramma Jo »

Okay, that settles it -- not been to Mexico and not going. :cry: Lots of other safe places to play. :) Have quite enjoyed the geometry stuff. Nice to know there's regular folk out there who can figure stuff like that out. Wishing for wind too :D Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmmm, not much "regular" about these guys, I tell ya :roll: :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Let me morph this discussion which is pretty inane as KUS has noted. Thank you KUS.

Has anyone stayed at Cabo San Lucas? I am thinking of splitting a 5 + 5 day visit to Cabos and La Vantana. Relaxing for 5 and windsurfing for 5.

Any feedback?
I wish my TOW was longer!
windwoman

Cabo San Lucas

Post by windwoman »

Hi Mike...... I spent a couple of days in Cabo five years ago while getting ready for a kayaking expedition. It was on the brink of a huge transformation at that time. The older parts of the town were being overshadowed by mega development as was the rest of the coast from San Jose to Cabo .... the route from the airport. I enjoyed the visit there....it's a fun place to explore for a couple of days with gorgeous (busy) beaches and lot's of nightlife. I can't imagine what it has evolved into in the past five years.
La Paz on the other hand felt authentic with a quiet sophistication. Other than the kayaking trip itself, La Paz is what sticks in my mind as a more real Mexican experience. I regret not exploring Todos Santos, the little surf/artistic community on the coast on the way to La Paz. I think that is where the actual 'Hotel California' of Eagles fame is. I'm sure someone can correct me if wrong. That would be easily accessible from Cabo by bus or car.
My personal preference would be to spent a couple of days in Cabo and the rest of the time in La Ventana with access to La Paz. I'll be interested to hear what others say .......I bet things have really changed in five years!! Maybe I'll see you there ...... trying to line up a trip for Dec.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Travel Trivia

Post by rvanderbyl »

I have stayed in Cabo a few times over the years. If you're into all the touristy money grubbing crap they have to offer there and of course the night life then you might enjoy Cabo. My first trip there in 1988 showed just a taste of what it has become. I even camped on the beach for free, no chance of that now! :cry: If you really want to relax, hang at La Ventana, when your not sailing you can swim, snorkel, kayak, drink tequila, etc.... If you want to experience Cabo I think one day is enough. La Paz is way more real. Todos Santos is a very cool, artsy little town and worth the visit. And you're right about the Hotel California windwoman :)
On a personal note, I'll be at Laventana from Nov 28th to Dec 12th. Can't wait! :D :shock: :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?
Glenda

Cabo

Post by Glenda »

Mark and I were just down in Cabo (I had to go there for business) this summer for a week. It was horrible - and this was during the off season. Every step you took on the streets or the boardwalk you were accosted by someone trying to sell you something. The restaurants are great and I imagine the nightlife is good - so if you are 19 years old, daddy has lots of money, and you're looking for a spring break party this would be the place to go. Other than that I would stay away. We stayed in La Paz last year for a night and that was a completely different experience. We walked the Malecon undisturbed and had an amazing sea food dinner in a waterfront restaurant with live music and drinks . . . the total bill - including a CD of the performer - came to under $40 Canadian.
TomS

Post by TomS »

Todos Santos is nice town to visit. Too bad that the Hotel California is not same as in the song. The Eagle's Don Henley has denied that it is the same.

http://www.loscabosguide.com/todossanto ... fornia.htm
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
Wavos Rancheros

not hotel cali?

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

I remember reading an article somewhere that made it out to be the spot that inspired the song...

but cabo is definitely three things, and probably not much else...
-a spring break atmosphere on the strip
-all inclusive resorts there is no need to step out of
-marinas full of expensive fishing boats and fly in millionaires
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the best bet is to Fly to Cabos and rent a car and drive to La Paz. We'd like to stay at La Ventana for a week in the process Any suggestions for lodging and rentals packaged? Baja Joe's?
I wish my TOW was longer!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Thanks for spoiling that TomS, after all these years believing otherwise, oh well.
Try Captain Kirks too Mtm.
Why aren't YOU out there?