Right of way rules on water

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i just want to illustrate regardless who has the "right of way", in the end running into each other is going to suck! its not like we have buoys out there we have to round.
common sense + respect = happy sailors!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The sailing rules came out of centuries of common sense and mutual respect. People realized that if both vessels/sailors on a collision course try to keep out of each other's way, you are bound to have collisions. The simple rule that if the wind is from this side, the other guy keeps out of your way and you go straight (unless they mess up in which case you still try your best to keep clear) is about as simple as you can make it, stripping out all the legalese. :wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

All this doesn't address being run into the beach when upwind of a kite who's decided to play on the ripples over the beach pebbles for a few turns or getting stalled behind leaving room for a potential jump downwind of one. Kiters need to understand how they affect other traffic on the water cuz their water usage area is huge. This includes boosting airs upwind when people (me) are immediately downwind....which is what happened again last time out at kook for me :evil:

Similar to the issue I have with snowboarders who wastefully use up all the powder on the hills but that's another story :lol:

I do all four sports btw, this isn't a slag, just an observation 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rkwave

Right of way rules on water

Post by rkwave »

Yep,
That's Rule 12(a)(ii)
when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward,
and
(iii) if a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or on the starboard side, she shall keep out of the way of the other.

and
Rule 17(a)(ii)
(ii) The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her manoeuvre alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.

and 17(b)
When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.
RKWAVE
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

Kus, stop the hating, im sure we can all enjoy what nature has to offer in aware own way!…ps I curse two plankers every time I see a moguled slop.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:lol: no hate, esp not here, got no gear. Anyway, not sure if you read my all of the post 8) interestingly enough, the very able regulars never seem to cause any issues at Kook so maybe it's a learner thing afterall.
You can have the moguls and groomed runs btw, just leave me the glades :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Kus aren't you supposed to be on vacation in the Fatherland?