85L board recommendation

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KC7777

85L board recommendation

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

I had a few good days at the Nat and am slowly getting back into higher wind sailing.

I am looking to buy an 85L board for use with a quiver of 4.2M - 5.8M SuperFreaks...mostly flat water sailing probably, though I might hit the Gorge for a few days each year, will use it lots sailing at Nitinat, and maybe even some onshore wave sailing at Trib Bay on Hornby Island. Or maybe even at Columbia Beach.

I already own a 2008 Naish All Terrain 104L, which is pretty wide at 64cm.

I am going to the Gorge next week....cash is not a problem as I sold a crapload of gear this year. Just need some advice.

Here are my "specs".

I am thinking that I want either a Freestyle Wave board, or maybe an onshore (fast) wave board. I don't want to go too small....as this will be mainly a 4.5 - 5.0 board in bump and jump conditions. And I like boards a bit bigger versus going as small as I can. As I don't sail that much I like ease of use and early planing ability. Intermediate sailor, can rip in the straps, no tricks except the waterstart - ha!, sketchy but high perecentage on port jibes, still suck at Starboard jibes (Nitnatitus!), weigh 175 lbs (but should be 170.)

So something between 80 - 89L, approx. 57cm - 59cm wide. Ideally with a powerbox fin system (but not a big deal as most smaller boards are US box).

Some options I have been considering (I really like my new Naish):

1. They are coming out with a 2009 Naish All Terrain 85L but it is supposed to be 60-61cm wide, which may be too wide?

2. I am also thinking of a 2008 Naish Global Wave 83L (58cm wide). Supposed to be a good high wind b & j board? I have never owned a wave board, so it might be fun to have something that turns quicker?

3. Other boards that interest me are the JP FSW 84L, RRD FSW 85L or maybe even a Kombat?

What are your thoughts on the above alternatives, or others? Thanks.
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

Be sure to demo a Fanatic Freewave 86 from the Gorge Surf Shop. Talk to Adam or Gary (or Scotty if he's actually in the shop). Great people to deal with. I'm the same size as you and I own the 77. I use it in all the applications you mentioned, from 3.5 to 5.7, it's a great all-around board. Powerbox.
Bryan984

JP FSW 84

Post by Bryan984 »

I have a JP freestyle wave 84 and I love it. It does almost everything really well. Hops quickly onto a plane; nice for jumping and can handle quite a range of sail sizes. The only slight on the board is in high wind Gorge days you may want a smaller board.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Hi KC.

I own Fanatic FreeWave 88 L I absolutely love it. Sailed it at the Gorge, G-spot, NitNat, CB, Oregon Coast. If you are going to the Gorge you probably can try one - a couple of shops in town sell them. You also welcome to try mine if occasion presents itself.

And I think it's a little more durable than JP.

I'll buy another one in a blink if that one dies.

PS Just realized that it's been mentioned already two posts up
Last edited by Russian Dood on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cancer must die!
KC7777

Fanatic FreeWave

Post by KC7777 »

Russian dood, gord...

Re. the Fanatic FreeWave

Wow....just a bit of research on the Fanatic and you cannot find one bad thing about it....not one (now I know not to believe everything on the net but that is pretty good.)

For example...Fanatic Freewave 86 (Tinho Dornhellas review):

After a few rides on this board I can honestly say that if there is a board than can score a perfect 10 out of 10 this board does it. Let's start with the balanced shape that gives you an natural trim and relaxed stance as you schlog out to the wind line. Add to it a very easy board to plane, great maneuverability and no rails sticking anywhere, anytime. No matter what the placement of components. Then the jibe. This board is the very best jibing board in the wave board category I have ever sailed. Not necessarily because it carves a tight jibe. But because you can carve any type of jibe, and it carries speed through, and maintains its predicted arc, evening out sailors mistakes. Tight or wide, snappy or tricky, the board turns you into a pro. While sailing I kept daydreaming (yes even in 20-25 knots) and thinking that this is the first wave board I could take anywhere in the world with a 5.3 and a 4.7 and handle just about any conditions any time. The wind dropped down many times to about 10-11 knots and I still could keep it planning through huge holes. Good static stability, so you can uphaul a board in dead winds. I can always find a little quirk on just about any board I sail, then learn to override it. Not on the FreeWave 86. I just cant find anything at all that I could fault. Not even the fin. I would add another one to it for higher winds, but that is not a quirk.

Sounds like even I could jibe it! And it's a powerbox. Thanks!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

KC,

The Fanatics are great boards, as are JPs, RRDs etc, but my only complaint with the Fanatic is that it feels a bit too directional. It is very quick to plane and carries speed very well, but it lacks the loose feel of, say, a Goya One. I own a Goya One 95 and it is great for all round sailing. The 85 version apparently is even nicer for lighter riders.

The Quatro 85 is apparently very nice. Keith Teboul shapes the Quatros as well as the Goyas and is one of the most well respected shapers around. He's known for making great jibing and wave riding boards. I've now owned 3 of his customs (and now one production Goya) and they all ride very well.

The RRDs, Fanatics, and JPs are all more freeride biased. This is not a negative thing necessarily, it's just more fun to have something that is a bit turny and responsive, especially in the 85L size in my opinion.

Try to demo some in the Gorge!

C
Poultry in motion
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

I haven't read the whole thread, but I can definitely comment on the Fanatics since I've got both an 88L from a few years back and a 104 from last year. Fantastic boards. I love them both.
voodmon

KC

Post by voodmon »

I have a starboard 05 Durex (double sandwich) kombat 95 as my big board, can't fault it, prior to that i had an 05 85 litre kombat which i loved, but it was just a wee bit too small to go halfway to seattle with. The new kombats are wavier, looser, thinner rails, and faster and very tuneable a cm with the fin or mast track is quite noticeable, not pushing starboard, but the North american distributor is in vancouver, i know windoc thinks the kombats are a bit benign, but the latest issues rock, a 79 litre would take you where you want to go..my 2 cents.. cheers. :twisted:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
eastside

Post by eastside »

I have a 92 Fanatic Goya, preriden by Paul L. of cb fame. Works fine for me. It's a few years old so my only comment would be that it is very tough. Nose was crunched and repaired before I got it but no pressure dents and I nailed the side of it with the mast a few weeks ago when my harness lines released at full power. I was amazed that I only put a small dent in it. I fixed the very small crack with some of that solar stuff. Made of carbon kevlar.
Mike D

Fanatic

Post by Mike D »

I bought a Fanatic 104 Freewave this year......excellent board, really love sailing it. I'm going to get the 86L next month, cant wait to try it.
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

All I can say is try before you buy and the Gorge is the place to do that. When I was shopping for a board in the 85L range a couple of years ago I thought that I'd love the JP FSW then I tried it. I didn't love it but it seemed everyone else did. I probably tired about 10 boards and there were two standouts for me 84L RRD Wavecult and 83L Mistral Syncro Fish. Ended up buying the Syncro and absolutely love it, it's great in chop, swell, easy super easy to plane, loose, haven't tried true waves . I have sailed it from Nitnat to the Gorge and for me it handles it all...at least for me. I'm 210 and it planes up super early for me compared to other boards in that range. I sail it on 5.8-4.5, 5.0 and 4.5 are best. The 2008 version is Mistral Wave Fish RD if you want to check them out. They told me at Big Winds that they haven't changed much. I agree with WD a loose board in the 85 range is best. So try as many as you can and you will find the board that works for you best.