Freestyle boards

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
kook

Freestyle boards

Post by kook »

How many people on the island, particularly up-island, have a pure freestyle stick in their quiver? I guess the ideal for me would be a three stick quiver, but that will never happen, unless board #3 is a 200L learner board for the family.

Ideal: 105L FS, 85L FSW and 72L waveboard, or something like that.
Reality: Either 105L FS or 95L FSW, + 75L waveboard.

Any thoughts? I reckon that Comox spit could whip up some pretty sweet dead-flat water freestyle conditions. Anyone up there into that?

Found a few leads for jobs up in Courtenay that I am sussing out... We'll see.

Cheers!
Kook/Fish
FISH
KC-79
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

theres not many pure freestyle boards on the island, i can only think of three. I got one because i figured i need all the help i can get with the slidey stuff. I cant speak for all FS boards but my starboard freesex 97 has a fatal lack of nose rocker that dooms it in really rough waters. as such its an awesome lake board (where i do 1/2 my sailing) but i rarely take it out in the winter when the straits are cranking.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I think perhaps you vastly overestimate the number of WSers on the island, those up island and those that do any freestyle at all 8) How many sailors are on the island? Not sure but in winter esp. I see the same 15-20 faces at the beach, usually not more than 3-5 at the same time :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Fish,

Kus and DWD are right; you won't see many pure freestyle boards here. Most of the spots we sail are better suited to FSW or wave boards. I own a 100L freestyle board for the summer sessions at Pipers and Nitinat. In the winter a 95L Goya One is better for the days at CB etc in lighter wind.
Poultry in motion
GWIND

PURE FREE

Post by GWIND »

SEVENTEEN- that's the answer.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

that may be true, a bit young tho and I don't think you'll be able to keep up, Gene :wink: here we go drifting the thread again, sorry :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....