Windsurf Vacation Suggestions

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

Windsurf Vacation Suggestions

Post by nanmoo »

I know there is already some stuff out there on the web about this, but things change so fast that I don't know how reliable it is.

Looking to take a vacation in May. I don't want to sell the farm, but I don't want to sleep in a dive.

I was thinking Maui, in which case any suggestions on beaches, accommodations, rentals, lessons etc...

or

Driving down to the California Coast, though I have no idea whether this one is feasible. What I do know is that I have a place to stay for free in Santa Cruz which is cheeeep.

or any other location that is going to be good.

Also how much can I expect to budget for a week?

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

The gorge (Hood River, oregon) would by my first choice in may, lots of wind and cheap too. if you do a forum search you will find a ton of info, the cost basically depends on if you like sleeping in your car or not. theres usually a massive gear swap there around the victoria day weekend- check windance.com on that.
Nitinat starts blowing in may as well, getting better towards later may. you might not know this since you only just started sailing in november!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What about lessons, are those possible at Hood or Nitinat?

I figure at some point here I should get some formal instruction.

Also, the better or worser half (depending on how you look at it) will be coming along most likely too, she has taken a couple lessons in years past, but is still very beginner, so are either of those locations suitable for her as well?

Thanks!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yes for lessons in hood river, heres a link to start
http://www.bigwinds.com/wind/lessons

at nitinat the lessons tend to be somewhat more informal, consisting of your peers shouting from shore. :wink:
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

As far as lessons Hood River is the place, every windsurf shop offers them and I've heard great things about Brian's Windsurfing. If I was going to do it over I would go to Hood River and sign up for lessons. It took me years before I attended a clinic. The progress was immediate I could have reduced years of suffering had I gone to Hood and taken a lesson early on. For Christmas I received a offer for windsurfing lessons and I will be cashing it in at Hood River this summer. Nitnat is a wonderful place filled with supportive people who are more than happy to help newbies out, the wind also tends to be the most consistent anywhere but no formal lessons.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurf vacation

Post by Bobson »

Hey Nanmoo-dood,

I am also looking for a windsurfing vacation of sailing in May(ish) and my better half (she is definitely the better half) will also be coming and she is also a beginner having sailed 3 times at the end of the summer on Elk Lake. I was down in Hood River 2 summers ago and took a brief lesson with Brian and he was awesome! I also watched as he was teaching newbies and was really, really good at going over the basics so they could understand. That's where she'll be taking lessons for sure this year because lessons from someone other than the significant other is definitely the way to go to keep things peaceful at home...if you know what I mean!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ah yes peace at home, no substitute for that.

So are you going to do the Hood as well?

Hotel suggestions anyone? Trip advisor etc... is always so hard to go by, one person says awesome, next says its trash.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

But remember Nanmoo and Bobson - Hood and Nitinat are chilly in May, and Maui is warm - not a major issue for us, but a better choice for cementing the "S.O.'s" attraction to the sport. Also Maui is pretty much guaranteed wind by May (NE trades blowing side-on into 28 degree water in Kanaha) and the lessons are behind a breakwater with a huge long sandy beach downwind to drift onto for them. More user friendly as when they're lessoning, you can sail out into the protected area behind reef - or out into the waves if you choose.

Very friendly spot, and when your S.O is not sailing, the eye-candy is awesome for her (and you too - so many women sailing in thongs now - don't know how this works for them.)

Just saw some under $500 flights into Maui in mid-December for next May/June, I plan to head there May 11th onwards at this point. Downside is cost of housing and I do not know if any carrier is flying windsurfing gear anymore - Randy may know if this is true or not.
We windsurf - life must be good!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Vacations

Post by Bobson »

Yes Mr. PH-Dood but Maui is also much more costly than The Gorge. Although my S.O.'s grandparents have a condo in Maui on the water....might have to start working that angle. Excellent suggestion...I'm guessing that's why your called PH-DOOD..?? :lol:
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Ah Bobson - can we put a price on the goodwill of our SO's towards our windsurfing habit? And if that is gained through allowing her to appreciate some eye-candy and learn to sail in very warm, consistent winds and water - what can sayeth the nay-sayers to a little extra expense? AND the grandparent's have a beachfront condo, be nice to her, very nice! Oh, and Kanaha County Park is a big, friendly picnic area while not sailing (with showers and toilets too.)

Yeh - Brian is also good in the Gorge, if you can get past his small island accent (inside joke!)
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Nothing against Kanaha Geoffy it is a fine place to sail but it was full of vagrants and transients when I was there last year.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Hey Johnnyman, not sure where in Kanaha you were, I am typically up at north-east end past the picnic huts and it's almost all windsurfers. I haven't been down to launch/sail Lowers in a decade so cannot comment, and never been into kitebeach area either. Was there in Oct 08 over a couple weeks and no issue with folks there.
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

No issues but there were quite a few people hanging out that seemed to be homeless. This was in the windsurf area (weird wave) and they stayed in the parking area all day. I stayed till dusk one day and the whole area started filling up with people setting up camp for the night (just outside the park) and heading for the bushes. I asked a county employee and she told me that there were a lot of working poor that couldn't afford the high maui rents and this was an ongoing problem. She also told me that the county does a big round up in the area a couple of times a week to clear things out. People need a place to live just like in Victoria but I did feel a little nervous leaving the rental vehicle while I went sailing. Geoffy glad to hear that it wasn't a issue when you were there I was there Feb 1,2,3 2008. I agree that Kanaha is a good place to sail and there were a couple of windsurfing babes too. Next time I'll try Sprecks I only wish it was windier while I was there, that's the problem with windsports.
rkwave

Post by rkwave »

Maui is the best.
I go there one or two times a year.

http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino

check my Maui/Oahu weather links page:
http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino/mauiwx.htm
on the bottom side bar you'll find a link to a couple of places to stay.
The hostel in Kahului is the best value if you're by yourself.

Otherwise there are plenty of Condos in Kihei. Look in the Vancouver Classifieds because there are a lot of Canadians that own condo on Maui.

There is another hostel in Paia, but I don't have a web link.

Camping on Maui Sucks. There is no really good campgrounds or RV lots.

You can sort of camp on the beach if you have a a lamp and a fishing rod with line in the water. ie. You can't camp overnight, but you can fish overnight at the beach.

I'll be there for the month of April, but my accomodations are already spoken for by other friends.

You'll definitely need a car. Aloha or Word of Mouth or Al West Vans have suitable cars, vans etc that you don't have to worry scratching.

Windsurf Gear rental is about $50/day or $250 per week. It is all top rate gear and there are about 6 shops to choose from.

Air Canada doesn't allow you to take a Windsurf or Surfboard.
You can take sails, but they might ding you $60 for oversized bag.

West Jet lets you take a board up to 9 feet 8 inches long.
However, I don't think West Jet Flies to Maui from May to October, but likely to Oahu.

There is now a Car Ferry (Hawiian SuperFerries) that runs between the Islands, so maybe think about flying to Honolulu, renting a car there and then taking the Ferry to Maui.

Aloha
RKWAVE
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

how much do you think a person could do a week and change in maui for without getting too ghetto?

I really like the idea, but I just cant see how it won't cost close to 4 grand for two people. $$$$