TC Port Alberni Wind Article Today - FYI

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
nanmoo

TC Port Alberni Wind Article Today - FYI

Post by nanmoo »

Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

nice find!!

Port Alberni ideal for windsurfing, kiteboarding

By Quintin Winks, Canwest News ServiceJune 15, 2009 8:01 AM

It's a known fact among windsurfers and kiteboarders that the Alberni Inlet is among the best places to windsurf on Vancouver Island.

In fact, it might be one of the best places to surf in Western Canada. Like clockwork the wind throughout the summer rises to 50 to 60 km/h right around 3 p.m. Log booms also keep the water flat, making ideal conditions for those who like to surf at high speeds.

Despite the fantastic conditions, scenery and proximity to services and amenities, those in the know head almost anywhere but Port Alberni to pursue their waterborne passions. That's because there's no access ramp to get riders and their equipment into the water.

"When the tide goes out there's a big mudflat across the bay," said Dale Moffatt, an avid kiteboarder. "So you have to swim across a channel with your gear, which is pretty tough. So I don't go out that often."

Like many others, Moffatt would rather drive 1.5 hours south to Nitnat Lake. There he has the significant space required to set up his kite and the 30-metre cables attached to it.

But unlike Moffatt, who's a local resident in the Alberni Valley, David Strang drives all the way from Nanaimo, such is his passion for windsurfing. Most days he said he'd rather surf in Port Alberni and in order to keep tabs on what the wind is doing, Strang approached the Port Boat House to mount a webcam on the business's roof.

He got permission from manager Steve Cyr and now the webcam links into the Boat House's Internet connection and provides up-to-the-minute images of the Inlet and weather conditions at www.bigwavedave.ca.

Cyr said he agreed to the webcam because it's good for windsurfers as well as fishermen and that's good for tourism. But along with Moffatt and Strang, Cyr said the port just isn't set up to accommodate windsurfers or kiteboarders. He said it would be good to build a small dock, even just a day-tie dock, for watersports enthusiasts.

"We've been trying to encourage the Port Authority to make it user friendly so we can surf here," Strang said. "The city really should consider this another industry. I mean, how many mills need to shut down?"

If an adequate launch was built the word would get out and attract surfers to Port Alberni from all over, Strang said. What's more, their sometimes-spectacular maneuvers and high speeds would draw a significant audience. In turn, that would increase business to local restaurants, caf?s and shops.

"Port Alberni is a very friendly town," Strang said. "Businesses and locals are welcoming and a good deal of windsurfers have money to spend."

And that's exactly what's driving a push by local city councillor John Douglas to develop Port Alberni's waterfront real estate. For now Douglas is focusing his efforts on a patch of land between the Harbour Quay Marina and the Port Boat House. The land is currently owned by a large oil company, Douglas said, adding that it's fenced and ringed with barbed wire and has been sitting idle for at least five years.

"I think they don't want to pay for the clean-up costs so they just let it sit," he said.

What Douglas would like to see on the property is some form of water access. He'd like to see the blast rock that now forms the beach be replaced with sand, much like Vancouver did to create beaches along English Bay. Higher up he'd like to see grass and envisions an area with picnic tables, perhaps the kind of area "where people go to watch old guys play chess" and a place for social gathering.

"Between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. you'll see people down there swimming," Douglas said. "But it's not a swimmer friendly beach because of the slippery rocks and steep entrance and that speaks volumes to the demand that's out there."

Douglas is hoping to get the public involved in demonstrating its desire to develop the land, thereby encouraging the landowner to move in that direction.

Creating the small park with a launch for kayakers, windsurfers and other watersports enthusiasts is just one small part of Douglas' push to develop Port Alberni's waterfront all along the Inlet from the old orange bridge, past downtown and on to the old plywood site. He wants the entire waterfront to be accessible to the public. While he's the first to admit his plan will take years, decades even, to come to fruition, he said his emphasis is in the direction that Port Alberni takes, and that's to develop the property that fronts onto Port Alberni's attractive waterfront.

"Any development on the waterfront is a good investment in our future," Douglas said.
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
Last edited by downwind dave on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

50- 60 km/hr! i want some of that! look out for the flying 30m cables though :lol: :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

bigwavedave.ca plug in there as well...
Don't forget to bring a towel!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Great article. I've always thought a windsport beach project like what Squamish did would be good for this place (Squamish Windsport Park PDF Map). Where do I voice my support? Maybe if we get together and show our interest we can make this happen sooner than later! Having input into the design at the beginning would also be a great benefit to the final plan (e.g. safe kite launch area; rigging areas; bathroom/shower facilities).

Even Alberta built a Windsport Park at the Oldman Dam. It works well. Pea gravel is way better than sand.

This reminds me that we need someone to do a Wiki Sailing Guide for the Harbour Quay. Details on how and where to launch would be great!
eastside

Post by eastside »

Great article. It's sad to see the waterfront there go virtually unused, while the Town gets more depressed. Once I get my wiki sign-up I will write something about Port.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hmm, not sure you are the right guy for that, Mr. Creosote :lol:
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

You know, it would also really help Nitinat to attract more tourists if there were a recording weather station there, so they could show for real how much and how often it blows there! It's got to be one of the most consistent, accessible places in the country, if you're a true wind junkie :roll:
flash

Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input

Post by flash »

For those of you who have read the Port Alberni Times article regarding beach access for water sports activities,I am hoping to attract your participation.I am attempting to develop our waterfront here.Please feel free to contact me via my e-mail of or via the City of Port Alberni website.You may also contact me via my website of johndouglasportalberni.ca.
My name by the way is John Douglas and I am a City Councillor in our community.For those who look after the webcam I talked to our city manager today and we may be able to offer an alternative location with a larger panorama to augment the present one.
My primary interest is to enhance the access for your sport.I would like to try it as well!
Thanks for your interest;
John
duckbill

the Quay

Post by duckbill »

with the population right there, the consistent winds, columbia 1/2 hr away, there should be a thriving windsport community right in alberni, all they need is better water access.
like a duck to water
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Very cool, John. Perhaps a small island Hood River, Oregon, is in the making. I suspect kayak, fishing and mountain biking activities are all set in your area or could easily be developed. Now you just need to re-open Aerosmith for skiing with a lift to nearer the top and your town will be all set :!:
Seriously tho, with you guys being the gateway to broken islands and the Tofino/Uke beaches, a great Sproat Lake which is highly underdeveloped you guys are sitting on a sports/eco goldmine yet to be tapped.

Expand the runway at the airport while yer at it and things will start really "taking off" :lol: All power to you! I know you will find lots of support from this group :!: