New to Campbell River

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
norwester

New to Campbell River

Post by norwester »

Hey,

I just moved to Campbell River and looking for people to kite with! Have been to Goose Spit a few times and so far have been skunked! Also have checked out Oyster Bay. Looks good. Any suggestions?
Heather
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: New to Campbell River

Post by KUS »

norwester wrote:Hey,

I just moved to Campbell River and looking for people to kite with! Have been to Goose Spit a few times and so far have been skunked! Also have checked out Oyster Bay. Looks good. Any suggestions?
Heather
check the wind forecast b4 leaving :?: :lol:
norwester

Post by norwester »

Yeah, I did, but thanks!

What I meant is are there any other kiters in the area who know the ropes a bit better than I and could give me indicators on when things might be happening?
Go self propelled
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I live a few km's upwind from Goose spit and try to post if it looks windy from my vantage point. I don't fly a kite but wind is wind. I am new to sailing the area too, it just takes a while to figure it out, good luck.
GregK

Post by GregK »

Some Comox kiters say the iWindsurf predictions are more accurate than BWD's or the EC marine forecast, maybe check there for a third opinion.

Must be the Island wind gods making you pay your dues. At least you smelled skunk and didn't rig.

Hang in there, our windy season is just starting.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

GregK wrote:Some Comox kiters say the iWindsurf predictions are more accurate than BWD's
Heretic!! :!: :wink:
oldseadog

Post by oldseadog »

Hello Norwester

Welcome to Campbell River. You have moved to a great area with access to many kiting opportunities. Summer kiting is easy with wind most days either local or Nimpkish lake. As September and fall/winter conditions approach we depend on storm fronts most predominantly SE winds with the odd northwesterly.
Local Spots: Sartogoa Beach with a mid to low tide and SE wind is excellent: NW not so good( wind shadow), Salmon Point, Willow point and Stories Beach also kiteable.
Comox Spit I leave for the group down there to give details.
There are only two people whom kitesurf in Campbell River at a independent level. I can introduce you. We welcome you to our group. I have at times ventured out solo when others are not available and the conditions are epic but with great reservation. I have been encouraging more people and made some progress but so far none have reached skills that take them upwind.

If you are around this weekend give me a call. Craig 250-203 3456. I am off work Monday and kiting if weather permits. I can show you around and full you in on the local weather and its behavior concerning our kiting areas.
norwester

Thanks!

Post by norwester »

Thanks Craig! I am around on the weekend and would love to get out kiting if possible. You can also email me at lamsonh(at)hotmail.com or call/text 250)two87-0204 anytime you are going out!

Cheers and happy kiting!
Heather
Go self propelled
GregK

Post by GregK »

Mf4 - it's the other Comox kiters, not me, honest.

Again today, we've got the BWD / UofW WRF-GFS MM5 model calling for wind in Comox, the EC marine forecast for the northern Georgia Strait in agreement, and the heretic iWindsurf model saying it'll be light.

So who do you believe ? The 8:00 am report from Sisters says there's wind out in the Strait, but right now it's calm in Comox. I'm the enternal optimist, I'll load up that which isn't already in the van, and head to the Spit when

a) I've completed what absolutely has to get done today
b) it fills in

The SErlies this time of year are shorter and weaker, they will get stronger and blow for longer as fall and winter weather rolls in. For now, I'm enjoying the warmer air temperatures.

Heather - glad to see you've made a CR contact, better to catch this shoulder season stuff close to home. When the tide's high and it's blasting, we'll see you at Goose !