Wasted away again in marga-merritville

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
l4kitecore

Wasted away again in marga-merritville

Post by l4kitecore »

2 dog/Dale/whoever

Trying a new spot this coming weekend in Merritt at Niccola lake might be the go

Heard it goes when it's grey here

As wel the merritt mountain music festival is on

Huge party

kill a couple birds one trip

fri sat sun?
somptin like this

let's get the car pool bidding started
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

hey, might be an idea, but no sailing for me the last two weeks definatley means I need a fix so if it is goin off here then I am here to stay.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm here next weekend, but have fun. Nicola can be fantastic - 25-35 kt when it goes off. Monk Park is a beautiful spot - also try Stump Lake a little further north, it gets pretty much the same wind, maybe a little tamer. There used to be a public launch spot/beach on the east side of the lake on incredible fine yellow sand - old mine tailings. Probably all private now. If the Quilchena Hotel is still there on Nicola (didn't it burn down a couple of years ago?) check out the genuine gunfight bullet holes in the old bar. Also check out the ceiling in the Coldwater Hotel in Merritt - it has a decorative hammered tin ceiling, very popular in Old West upscale architecture.
KC7777

Nicola

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

I sailed there on a 4.5 about a month ago. Out of Monck campground. I don't kite so I don't know how the setup would be for launching a kite. Wind is sidehore from your right (opposite of Nitinat).

Check out the following for more info:

http://members.shaw.ca/morewind/nicola.htm

From what I have heard/seen, Nicola goes off when there is a temperature differential between the coast (Vancouver) and the interior (check Merrit/Lytton/Kamloops) of at least 9 degrees. i.e 20 - 24 in Vancouver, 30+ in Kamloops etc. and it goes off. But I don't know for sure.

The day I was there is was blowing 30+, but up and down.

There is also a launch on the other side (1 km before Quilchena). Look for a windsock on the side of the road. And the hotel is still there.

I live in Chilliwack and it is approx. 2 1/4 hours drive from there, so maybe 3 1/2 from either ferry?

Pls post a report if you get wind,
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

kitesurferdale wrote:hey, might be an idea, but no sailing for me the last two weeks definatley means I need a fix so if it is goin off here then I am here to stay.
i think you should really consider going ... the water temps are like a bathtub ... it will give you a chance to wear your shorts the way they were meant to be worn 8)
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I guess you didn't clue into the fact I don't wear a wetsuit pimphand, hence the comment "what am supposed to do, go in the buff" in the other thread.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!