Accomodation Suggestions North Shore Maui?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Windsurfish

Accomodation Suggestions North Shore Maui?

Post by Windsurfish »

We are going to Maui in March this yr., and have stayed in Kihei in a past trip. This time, north shore accommodations are on the list. Any suggestions on places you have stayed in past trips is most appreciated (three person accommodations needed).

Thanks!
frank

Post by frank »

contact GP @ http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com ... he'll set you up with a place , a car & gear if needed.... and maybe try to steel your wife as well....!!?

""Here's the list of the vacation rentals I work with. Unfortunately I know already that 8 and 9 are not available for your period.

1) studio in Paia for $80 a day (super central, close to everything, occasionally it gets a bit of noise from Charley's when they have live music). $1770/month.
2) studio in Haiku http://www.puukoapalms.com/ for $90 + 11.42% tax and $80 cleaning fee (one of the few legal vacation rentals and as such, always pretty fully booked). The monthly rate is 1800 + tax + 80, but they apply it only if they have plenty availability or for stays of 45days or longer.
3) one bedroom apt in Haiku http://www.puukoapalms.com/ for $100 + 11.42% tax and $80 cleaning fee. ($110 for 4 people). The monthly rate is 2000 + tax + 80, but they apply it only if they have plenty availability or for stays of 45days or longer.
4) condo in Kuau Plaza http://www.hookiparental.com:80/ for $125 + 11.42% tax for two people. Not sure about the monthly price, but if you're interested I can ask. I'm pretty sure they will give you a discount.
5) very secluded studio ($70/day $1200/month) in North Holokai Rd Haiku.
5b) very secluded cottage ($100/day 1600/month) in North Holokai Rd Haiku.
6) one bedroom cottage in very secluded property in East Kuiaha Rd Haiku for $ 105 up to 14 nights.....$100 up to 28 nights...$95 for 28 nights or more Taxes 4.17%
7) tiny studio with microwave and outside grill in gazebo, but no kitchen for $60/day 1400/month
8) studio just outside Paia. Sleeps 2 people. $125/night plus 11.42% tax
9) a two bedroom/1 bathroom house just outside Paia. Sleeps 4 people. $150/night + 11.42% tax. $125per night plus tax for the monthly rate.
8 and 9 are on the same property and share the laundry facilities. No monthly rate for the studio, but renting both 8 and 9, the monthly rate would be $200 per night (plus tax - 11.42%).
10) small studio with a couch that becomes a double bed and a small single extra bed, kitchen and bathroom in Haiku for $60/day (50 if one person only) or $1200/month.
11) one bedroom apartment in the same property as 10). $90/day or $1900/month. $10/day more for additional persons.
12) 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, bbq, yard space, close to beach access, private parking in Kuau. $195/day for two people. $25/day per extra person.
13) 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, Huamana rd in Haiku, very private, big garden, bbq, couch that turns into a bed for a third person, wireless internet, dish satellite. $75/day or 1500/month.

Please check availability with me even for those ones I gave the website: you pay the same and I get a small commission.
I have photos of all the places with no website. Please make a selection and come up with a short list of places you would like to receive the photos of.
I also know a couple of more expensive options in Kuau and on the beach at Sprecks.

For the car, I have station wagons for $160/week. Here's the conditions:
For all my cars I ask no driving up to the crater of the volcano. They would all make it, but that road is a car killer and I don't want to risk. If you really want to go there, you can rent a more expensive car from the regular companies for a day. I'll be happy not to charge you my rent for that day.
CAR INSURANCE
You'll be covered by my insurance:
- up to $100000 for damage to another person
- up to $300000 for total damage to other persons
- up to $20000 for total damage to other vehicles
Everything more than that, you pay.
You pay for all damages to my car (body, windows, tires).
If the car needs mechanic work, I pay.""
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Chris - when are you going?

Pu'koa vacation rentals is where we stayed on the advice of Randy. Super cheap, super quiet and clean, beautiful view and location. http://www.puukoa.com/

Rent from the locals at Al's West/Maui Vans. Again, good, clean, albeit not brand new vehicles for cheap cheap cheap. http://www.mauivans.com/

If you want to stay in the more touristy spots, I, along with William Shatner, fully endorse Priceline.com. Melodie and I snagged 3 nights in an ocean view room at the Maui Oceanfront Inn (Best Western) in Kehei for a measly $80 a night. The rate sheet on the room said going rates where $189.

Oh and get (if you don't have it already) road star with ICBC, it will cover your rental car while there, and save you a couple hundred in rental car insurance.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Sandy Beach

Hawaii BIG surf competition

Post by Sandy Beach »

this is happening now, can watch it live

http://live.quiksilver.com/2009/eddie/i ... home=_over
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

thanks SB, wrong island, but a good link. just in time for lunch break,
Sandy Beach

islands

Post by Sandy Beach »

ok Dave, thanks for the correction.
Enjoy the lunch time entertainment.
Some huge waves and crazy wipeouts to watch :shock:
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

second the roadstar coverage to save MEGA BUCKS!

I had a great gear rental experience with
www.kanahakai.com
Bart and Dagmar where a pleasure to deal with, saved money by prepaying too.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Maui on short notice

Post by tempy »

I am wondering whether there is any updated info on the availability of places on Maui - Feb 13 to 21 - for family of 4. Thanks.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Check out places on VRBO (vacation rental by owner) for various areas of Maui. If they're still available and it's within a month you can usually get a 25-30% discount, but maybe not this early in the year. We'll be there May 21 - June 3rd, and there are some pretty good full-house rentals if you have a small group.
We windsurf - life must be good!
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

cheap cheap

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

rainbow hostel: dirt cheap 30 bucks for a bunk, use of a bathroom and kitchen.

alternatively the parking lot down the road across the firehall in Paia is free.

or drive up haleaka and sleep in your vehicle in sub zero, way less oxygen for free as well. long drive up though at 1.5 hours. epic though. if you're carrying windsurfing boards make sure you pop the vent though. dude i drove up with had his board fill expand and ruined it. he was pretty annoyed and it kinda ruined the experience for him. it's like mars up there though...:0)
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

Tempy - WSF and I were beginning to panic b/c it seems like the whole world is descending on Maui in Feb. We've looked at VRBO and there is very little availability. Of course if you are willing to pay mega bucks I'm sure there is always something.
The link Nanmoo posted above seems to still have availability -
Also oddly enough check out Craigslist - they have a section just for Maui Vacation Rentals
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Go obscure on VRBO - one listing was an 8 or 10 bedroom spa/retreat type place above Makawao, digging further it appeared one could actually get one bedroom out of the place at decent rates, similar for some full house rental listings, look especially at the full houses that appear to be too cheap. Call and ask, some folks won't list partial places anymore. Good Luck.
We windsurf - life must be good!
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Maui

Post by BigD »

Just got back last night, I used craigslist to score some sweet deals. Stayed at www.mycheapmauicondo.com for cheap. Try phoning some of the rental agencies, they always have something, maui is busy this time of year but it`s not full! Aloha 8)