Port Alberni Inlet Windsports

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
flash

Port Alberni Inlet Windsports

Post by flash »

Hello everyone--just a note to all of you who wish to see Port Alberni develop better waterfront access and more amenities for windsports:
Now is the time to make your wishes known to the local governing bodies there such as the City,Port Authority and First Nations.I am a City Councillor with the City (John Douglas).Mr. Pat Deakin is the City Economic Manager and we will welcome your endeavours in this area.You can reach me or Pat through the City Hall at
250-720-2822.
You can also reach me through
Thanks !
John
Creating A New Geography For Our Future
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

It looks like the Port Alberni Harbour Quay weather station has been taken down. It was being maintained by A-Channel and the UVic school network. So to everyone that uses the Port Alberni webcam and weather station, I encourage you to send an email to John Douglas, City Councillor and tell him that a good first step in developing Port Alberni's windsport potential would be to get the weather station at the Quay back online and functioning. I'd be willing to help if needed.

Thanks to Chris at http://www.alberniweather.ca/ for the info.
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
flash

Port Alberni weather station and wind

Post by flash »

I second Dave's encouragement for people to contact me regarding your interest not only in the weather station but our inlet in general.In addition any letters you might send to City Council in this regard could help create changes to favour wind-surfing/kite-surfing etc. here.
This is your chance to create a wind surfing recreational mecca in the way you feel it should be "properly" done.[/b]
City Hall has a website at "City of Port Alberni" or you can be old fashioned and use Canada Post to :

City Clerk
City of Port Alberni
4850 Argyle St.,
Port Alberni V9Y 1B3

Thanks everyone (and Dave!)

John D.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

come on folks, I got on my but an wrote one. who else?
eastside

Post by eastside »

Hey, I sent an email the other day. I don't quite know what we should do. I would be prepared to go to Port Alberni to support this concept before City Council. I think the thread lays out some good suggestions.
flash

Presenting to City Council

Post by flash »

Thanks Eastside --if you wish to appear as an individual or group just drop a line first to our City Clerk at the above contact #'s--then he can put you on the agenda for a date that is convenient to you.
This is a very simple matter (appearing before Council) but a personal appearance can make a huge difference.
I will look forward to hearing from you and any others who feell so motivated.
As I mentioned earlier this is our one chance to create our own design of a wind sport oriented waterfront[,one which could stretch from China Creek all the way to the north end of the Alberni Inlet /b].
As a footnote it appears the City I.T. departmen has already rectified the weather station issue.
Thanks again ,
John
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Presenting to City Council

Post by bwd »

flash wrote:As a footnote it appears the City I.T. departmen has already rectified the weather station issue.
Excellent, thank you.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I can't get delivery to the hotmail account given. Is there an email address to city council?
duckbill

quay

Post by duckbill »

hey flash, is it a case of " the more the merrier" ? I would gladly join eastside and any one else in a personal appearance before the city council.
like a duck to water
flash

Port Alberni presentations

Post by flash »

You can contact the City Clerk through the "City of Port Alberni " webpage via e-mail , or use the contact information there to phone,mail etc.
Regarding the question about more the merrier ---yes I think the more input from all of you will acheive more results.You could get together and do a group presentation or do it individually,but a co-ordinated group presentation might be more effective .
If you need any assistance in this our City Clerk (Russell Dyson) can be very helpfull.
Russell's phone # is 250-720-2810 or his e-mail is

John
jayracz

Post by jayracz »

I am a fully insured local contractor with almost every carpentry tool known to man. As I stated before I will work the site for free if it would help!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I thought this news clip should be posted somewhere in the forum:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36DYzq8Fao[/youtube]

Congratulations John!
Sandy Beach

Winds of Change coming for PA

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks for posting this newsclip!

We are already seeing a shift since we moved here in 2010. Many business owners and residents are moving to PA and opening up shop in the Alberni Valley because of the amazing low price of real estate.

John Douglas has a vision of being more aggressive with helping out small businesses, redevelopment of the uptown core, beautifying the waterfront, not to mention since he is a paramedic, health and wellness is on his radar.

There's untapped potential with this outdoor recreational mecca and much support through the city and Community Futures is offered to new businesses.

The Totally Board Surf shop (Rhino surfboards) on Johnson St. opened their store March 2011 and have had a great first season. They have kindly donated a gift certificate to the BWD/BCCF, RD fundraiser.

Last week the Alberni Valley Transition Towns held a sustainability forum that Rob (ws247) spoke about using salvaged wood (www.greenearthwoodworks.scom) and I spoke about Wild West Watersports and opening up the inlet to recreational users in the future.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18565495

Contact Pat Deakin, Economic Development Officer if anyone is interested in more information at 250 720-2527

Just started, but looking forward to exploring more of the extensive mountain biking and hiking trails all around the inlet and valley. Stoked!!!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Hey - that's the ticket SB - saw your eloquent clip on news a few nights ago, well spoken. Need to open up the Mountain Biking experience there to give us something to do since winds are later in the day!
Take Care - G
We windsurf - life must be good!