Finding a spot

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
xmyxlife

Finding a spot

Post by xmyxlife »

Hey all,
I'm a new victoria resident who took up windsurfing in alberta last year. Im a bit above the total beginner level, and am looking for somewhere enjoyable and safe to take my maiden ocean voyage. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction! Also, if anybody else is in the same boat, it'd be awesome to have a sailing partner. Any leads???
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Welcome to Victoria!

What kind of gear are you sailing? If you aren't quite at the waterstarting level yet, try Willow's Beach, Cadboro Bay, or Island View on a 12 knot day. Check the Wiki above for sailing spot locations and proper wind direction. Nitinat is already working, so that will be a great way to develop your higher wind skills to later use on the ocean. I grew up sailing in Alberta and the Island is a relative paradise!
Poultry in motion
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

I'm on a starboard carve 131 and have a couple sails, a 7 and a 5.5? I've only managed 2 water starts so far, but that was mostly due to the dead and inconsistant winds that i was learning on in alberta haha. Thanks for the tips! But as for this Nitinat... i have no clue what you're talking about!
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Ahhhh yesss... it's a lake. Everything is starting to make a lot more sense. Like i say, new to victoria haha.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

xmyxlife wrote: But as for this Nitinat... i have no clue what you're talking about!
:shock:

Man! That's like a piglet asking "What is this manure you speak of, and will it make me happy?"

You hit the jackpot moving here. Again, use the wiki for Nitinat. If you don't start drooling immediately, you may as well quit right now. It is an intermediate's paradise as well as a beautiful place to camp. Go there as soon as you can.
Poultry in motion
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

The drool did make an appearance. May long, here we come!
And thanks for the help :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

come out on a intro at Willows day, I added you on the dist list last time. There you can hook up with some of the other newbies 8)

Perhaps may long weekend will work out for Port Alberni opening :twisted:
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

I'll be there whenever i hear the word! I'm just getting over anxious due to FINALLY having my gear out here. Picking up a new wetsuit last week isn't helping either. It hasn't even been wet yet!
BK

Post by BK »

Ahhh Yes... The Drool...
Yes Nitinaht is definately starting. I was there for Saturday and it was a sunny 20 knots from 12-4pm. Had a great sail and realized once again just how crappy of wind we get around here in the winter.
The campsite is good to go with at least 1 new stinkbox on the west end of the loop.
Better get up there soon, there will be no wood left by the time that stump on the beach gets burned to ashes! ;)
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Well i made it out to Willows today, my first time on the ocean! Wind was blowing pretty much directly from the south. I'm clearly in need of a few pointers, but managed to stay on my board most of the afternoon, and most importantly... LIVE TO SAIL AGAIN! My arms are gonna feel it tomorrow, i can barely hold up my slurpee cup. Anybody selling waist harnesses?
duckbill

harness

Post by duckbill »

check with KUS, I 'm sure he has one for sale.
like a duck to water