Kiting this weekend - Victoria or Nihnat?

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Vik

Kiting this weekend - Victoria or Nihnat?

Post by Vik »

Hola,

I'm new to Victoria and hoping to kite this weekend...I was thinking of heading to Nihtnat if it looked decent. Any idea if I'm better staying in Victoria and trying to kite here or should I give Nihtnat a shot Fri-Sun?

safe riding,

Vik
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Nitinat should be good this weekend. Saturday looks better than Sunday for a thermal (check the difference between Tofino and Port Alberni on the City Forecast page; BWD has the 4 or 5 communities of interest as a top selection, much quicker than paging through all the options on the EC popup). Gordons will likely work too; both places are pretty first-timer and intermediate friendly; what is your skill level like?

On the downside for Saturday would be an easterly outflow pressure gradient; and the US forecast is saying in regards to one model "AND IT IS ALSO BEGINNING TO SHOW AT LEAST WEAK OFFSHORE FLOW IN THE LOW LEVELS. OUR HIGH TEMPERATURE FORECAST FOR SATURDAY MIGHT STILL BE ON THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE." While any marine push Sunday would tend to increase windspeeds at N Lake (or Gordons) even if the thermal isn't as strong.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

A US Aicraft Carrier is coming soon and will stay for the weekend, a lot of other ships from different nation as well (Australia/New Zealand/France/Japan/US etc...) for the International Fleet Review & Canada navy centenial.

If you stay in Vic and its blowing westerly you could get some pictures of you kiting with an aircraft carrier in the background! But don't kite near by, they really don't like that:)

Nitinat would be a way better choice IMO. Last Saturday it was that sunny and it was still windy, most people on 12m or 10m, myself on the 15m. It will be stronger this weekend for sure (if its sunny).
Vik

Post by Vik »

more force 4 wrote:Nitinat should be good this weekend. Saturday looks better than Sunday for a thermal (check the difference between Tofino and Port Alberni on the City Forecast page; BWD has the 4 or 5 communities of interest as a top selection, much quicker than paging through all the options on the EC popup). Gordons will likely work too; both places are pretty first-timer and intermediate friendly; what is your skill level like?.
Thanks for the tips guys...I've got about 120hrs of kiting under my belt in about 40 sessions - give or take...I guess that makes me an advanced beginner or a low end intermediate???

I'll check in on the weather Friday AM and make decision...I like Nihtnat so that's probably where I'll head.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Geoffy

Nitinaht Road Report??

Post by Geoffy »

Driving a Prius, small tires, OK clearance, advice from those who went last weekend? Thanks in Advance.
We windsurf - life must be good!
xmyxlife

Re: Nitinaht Road Report??

Post by xmyxlife »

Geoffy wrote:Driving a Prius, small tires, OK clearance, advice from those who went last weekend? Thanks in Advance.
I can't speak for last weekend, but two weekends ago i made the drive in my 525i and it was pretty lousy. Relatively dry, but super rough. Of course, the truck/suv drivers seemed to be flying past me at 80kph, but i really didn't feel like stopping to fix a flat on the way. I imagine my tires are similar to yours, so it will probably be a lot of 30kph to 5kph to 30kph to 5kph....
Vik

Post by Vik »

Geoffy wrote:Driving a Prius, small tires, OK clearance, advice from those who went last weekend? Thanks in Advance.
I took the south road in and the north road out last weekend...north road was much better... :D

I was in a F150 so I can't comment on the road for a car.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, if the Ford made it pretty much anything can then, eh :lol: :) :oops: ok, cut that out :roll:

north road is shorter on the gravel and has less shale so when in doubt, odds are in yer favor :idea:
AC

Hey Yo

Post by AC »

Car rentals are 35$ a day, just do not want to tell them where your going:)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

xmyxlife wrote: super rough. Of course, the truck/suv drivers seemed to be flying past me at 80kph
There is an odd phenomenon on gravel roads that deteriorate to washboard that driving at 15-50 kmph will shake your fillings out, but accelerate to 80 or more and it will smooth it out (till you hit a really big one, then you might bend something...). Its always a risk, but you may actually do less damage driving faster in these cases; helps to know where the big bumps are that really do require slowing down though.
JL

Post by JL »

& your on the rd. less time !!! :?
Thermals are good.
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

I wonder how that applies to the 2x2 construction of some RV's.... easier on them or more kindling :shock: ?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

jellyfish wrote:I wonder how that applies to the 2x2 construction of some RV's.... easier on them or more kindling :shock: ?
My cupboard doors all stayed shut when I averaged just under 80 for a 500 km drive a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised by how good the road was; but averaging 40 going back out a few days later and shepherding trailers, everything came out that could, and the top-opening lids were found in random places (and the 6 hour drive took 13 hours, including tire changes and where-is-all-that-oil-coming-from? issues). I ended up stopping for 5 minutes, accelerating to 80 till I caught up with the dust cloud, and repeating. RVs? You could try a really expensive experiment!!
Vik

Re: Hey Yo

Post by Vik »

AC wrote:Car rentals are 35$ a day, just do not want to tell them where your going:)
We should have a Victoria to Nhitnat rental car rally!... :roll: :D
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

more force 4 wrote:
xmyxlife wrote: super rough. Of course, the truck/suv drivers seemed to be flying past me at 80kph
There is an odd phenomenon on gravel roads that deteriorate to washboard that driving at 15-50 kmph will shake your fillings out, but accelerate to 80 or more and it will smooth it out (till you hit a really big one, then you might bend something...). Its always a risk, but you may actually do less damage driving faster in these cases; helps to know where the big bumps are that really do require slowing down though.
I definitaly know where you're coming from, but it was my first time out to nitinat and i had no idea what to expect, so i used the long and safe tactic. LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGG and safe........ :roll: