November Honeymoon Ideas

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
JL

Post by JL »

I thought you were talking about a new dog ... Oops !!! How about towing your boat to San Diego & sailing south ? ( You can see why I'm divorced , right ?) 8)
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Haha, Paris. Yeah right, I can tell your for sure that neither of us have any interest in checking out art galleries, chic' espresso houses or talking about the finer points of an acrylic on canvas.

Obviously the 3 hours a day spent sailing doesn't really cut into spending time with one another. It just means the 3 hours a day where she wants to sit around and sun tan, I am not bored out of my skull doing the same thing.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I don't know about Paris in November. Could be cold and blustery.

Re: Cabarete. The Sans Sousi is next door to the Velero and is only $40/night with ocean view. http://www.hotel-sans-souci.com/beach_en.html

I found flights for $711 all in in November Car rental not needed.
I wish my TOW was longer!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ok MToe, you persistance may be paying off.

That second place you suggested has horrible reviews, but the first has stellar ones. Maybe, just maybe, this is the time to splurge for a bit more and not do a trip entirely on the cheap.

Where do you fly into and what other considerations are there that I should be aware of? Do you think booking last minute is ideal or in advance?
Sandy Beach

honeymoon place

Post by Sandy Beach »

I vote for Cabarete, DR too, since that's where I learned how to kite and we also got to windsurf. Lots of sweet places right on the beach. Great adventure and fun-filled memories. Melodie will have tons of young Dominican hotshot kiters and windsurfers to watch as she hangs out on the beach.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

To answer your question, we flew to Fortaleza in NE Brazil, and immediately went north from there to get away from the crowds. We spent the 5 weeks visiting many different places along the coast, none bigger than 30,000 people. I think it only makes sense for over 3 weeks though, as there is so much to see and the airfair is so expensive. Plus, the exchange rate is not as favourable as it once was. That said, it is my favourite country as the people are so nice and the beaches/wind and beauty are second to none.
Vive et Ama
Winger

Honey Moon

Post by Winger »

Namoo: I got engaged in Hawaii 35 years ago and have been going back ever since. My wife does not sail either but she is so happy there that I would not rock the boat by taking her to some 3rd world country and making her sleep with the roaches etc... Know when to hold them and know when to fold them!! Maui is great in all categories... Kihei is a great spot as it is protected by Haleakila and gets more sun than anywhere else on the Island. I have some good contacts for condos at a reasonable price....
Winger
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Nanmoo. The closest airport to Cabarete is Puerto Plata. It is served by a number of airlines. I don't think the Charters fire up until December though but I found return flights for $711 from Vancouver via American in November. So I don't think that last minute would help. I would stay in Cabarete although you can check out the "all-inclusives" nearby.

Warning: Read this first. It might change your mind about DR (re: wind).

http://www.cabaretewindsurfing.com/windsurfing.php

By the way Winger, Cabarete is not some third-world cockroach-filled dive. A lot of the hotels are first class and the restaurants, most of them on the beach, are fantastic. The people are very very very nice and the vibe is fantastic. Maybe you're stuck in a rut man!
:D
I wish my TOW was longer!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

... or he could have been referring to Brazil, where you will most certainly find all of those things.

As far as Maui goes Winger - I have that place pretty much unlocked after two trips - but the one big thing it is missing that DR has is the ability to sail out your front door and not have to drive anywhere for a couple weeks.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

How many days did you sail and on what size?
Ed

Post by Ed »

You're still talking about this?Even though she says she doesn't mind sitting around while you windsurf,what she really means is for you to make the decision not to windsurf.Just ask all the divorced wind addicts!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ha! Well you'd have to know her, and let's face it, it goes both ways. If I can't ride wind I won't be happy either. Neither of us are the 'tourist-lets-take-photos-and-sightsee-types' either, hate that.

This place MToe reccomends in DR is a pretty happy medium.. walk on to the beach at your lesuire, into town, to dinner, to windsurf, to swim, etc..
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

well you gotta lay down the tone of your marriage right off the bat, let her know just how it gonna be!
wait a sec..

whats that honey?

oops gotta go

:oops: :lol:
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Hahaha i love how this is taking a turn from destination advice, to marriage advice.
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

Ed wrote:You're still talking about this?Even though she says she doesn't mind sitting around while you windsurf,what she really means is for you to make the decision not to windsurf.Just ask all the divorced wind addicts!
Yup....It all seems fine in the beginning........even supportive to a point. I need to start my own thread here .... November Destinations for Wind Addicts Post Divorce haha

Only kidding Nanmoo..... Best of Luck and a Happy Life!
( you should plan on being present for the birth of at least the first set of twins even if we are all having a great day at the beach) :lol: