Add to our Westcoast Windsport Dictionary!!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Twitching might be different - Anticipation Agony (forgetting the electronics maybe) is closer to what a teenager would feel at a dance.
We windsurf - life must be good!
JL

Post by JL »

Perhaps ?! It's been a long time since I felt a teenager @ a dance. 8)
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

JL wrote: It's been a long time since I felt a teenager @ a dance. 8)
I would hope so. Not only are there laws against this for a man your age, its highly dissapproved by the general public :!: :wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Lumbergland - the specific area at a sailing site when, if conditions are right, a whole forest in bits and pieces may appear out of nowhere, as if secreted from a gland. Usually at high tide, spewing chunks hungry enough to devour fins or entire boxes and the odd rail. Also known to leave fancy concave speed divots in the bottom of your board and cause the rather abrupt aborting of speed runs or wave rides :x Also great for tangling kite lines.
Not to be confused with the hardware franchise of the 80's 8)
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

Flog. Short for "f-ing sailing log!" Generally muttered in anger to oneself upon reading others' sailing logs and realizing one made the wrong call.

e.g.:"After twitching all morning and fearing a skunk 'n funk I opted to do chores around the house, only to later read all the flogs of those who had a great session at Columbia Beach."
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Good one Gord. If there was never any chance you'd make it to the beach, I think it still can be described as "self-flogging".
Sandy Beach

dictionary

Post by Sandy Beach »

Wind Brownie Points (WBP)

delaying wind sport activities for necessary obligations in the light of future anticipated stellar conditions...everything comes all in good time
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

P.T.D.

Post by JL »

Anyone else suffering from PTD ? (post thermal depression) :cry:
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

YES!

and the thermals weren't even that great this summer. Far fewer actual and potential gordons days (especially high wind ones) than last summer. All we had was cloud and cold!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Bluebird day: crystal clear, blue skys, little to no wind.

Deadgrandma: Dark cloudy, overcast, little to no wind.
Just stoked...
JL

Post by JL »

When to 'log' your kite/windsurfing session: "Kus: As for logs I was asked some time ago for criteria: ws or kite only as per Vozhakine law, separate sesh if you de-rig AND leave the site and return or change venue, 4 tacks minimum constitutes a sesh...not standing in surf, peeing in your suit realizing it died or shore break is too big."... Personally I log "ride & hike sessions" only if I conform to the 4 ride rule between hikes up the beach (usually I.V.) :roll: Sailors are advised to be honest about sessions. Remember your only cheating yourself. p.s. If you don't enjoy logs from La Ventana or Hawaii please don't bitch about it on the message board. Learn to celebrate that others are enjoying there time on the planet by kiting/windsurfing while you fester in a moldy northern existence :idea: pps: Jordan River sessions are to be logged as @ secret spot or something ridiculous like Elk Lake :twisted:
Thermals are good.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

This could make a good " shit v island sailors say" video!
JL

Post by JL »

Proposed wind scale: 1. light airs. Sailors start to pay less attention to work, family & chores 0 - 6 knots ... 2. Breezy. Sailors begin to create reasons for leaving work, family & dropping tools 6 - 10 knots ... 3. Worthy. vehicles are loaded & sailors begin to congregate @ sailing spots 10 - 15 knots ... 4. Windy. Sailors are now rigging 15 - 20 knots ... 5. Filled in. A frenzy of rigging @ sailing sites & parking spaces are filling up quickly 20 - 25 knots ... 6. Fu$%^ng WINDY. Smaller gear is being rigged & sailors are running. 25 - 30 knots ... 7. Nuking. Kites are coming in & newbies are not being launched. Windsurfers are rigging gorge gear 30 - 35 knots ... 8. NUTS. Only a select few are kiting. Many sailors are standing around making excuses. 35 - 40 knots ... 9. FUC*&NG NUTS. Only the finest athletes are on the water now. Carnage everywhere & branches are flying around bouncing off cars etc. 40 - 45 knots ... 10. BLOWN OUT. The last people on the water are being assisted back to the launch sites. It's over. 45+ knots Evil or Very Mad
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Vampire Wind starts at dusk, ends at dawn :roll: ..... and sucks ....the life blood out of us :evil:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

NEUTERED @ a location with perfect conditions but no gear OR commitments that don't allow you to participate :evil:
Thermals are good.