Where should I go!? HAWAII

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi Dane, for all the times that I have been in Oahu I found the north WEST<--(correction) part of the island getting more wind more often then Kailua Bay. but it was mainly during summer months. Winter wasnt windy at all. I have no clue whatsoever for spring time. But the waves during winter time on the north shore are a must see... (never seen anything that big before but then again never been to Maui...).

No wave or nothing big during summer time but you are right Kailua Bay would be more of a beggineer friendly place. No big wave in Kailua Bay.

The north WEST place is where that video of the guy that got updraft for something like 30+ seconds ???? ft high....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUGqqMc5mNk

There is a school/shop or probably more then one in Kailua Bay, google that and call them asking them when would be the best time for you to go and the worst time (dont say when you are going, say you are flexible for a more honest answer), check windfinder for stats.

As for Maui, Kayakdoc (Phil) is actually there right now (or was there anyway). He has been there lots in his life and he would be a very good person to ask once he come back to Vic.
Last edited by Teabag on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
KayakDoc

Kiting Life in Maui

Post by KayakDoc »

Hi Dane,
Yes I am still in Maui and I do spend a chunk of time here. If you want any information PM me with any questions and I will give you what I can.
Phil.
Winger

Post by Winger »

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
This is a good site for getting a deal on car rentals anywhere in Hawaii. Just give them your dates and they will price it out with all the car companies and send you back the best rate. I really like Hawaiian Island Board shop. They will give you the gear and only charge you for the windy days and they are close to the beach and not totally anal about a scratch on the board etc.. The airlines that take gear usually charge about $125.00 each way for your gear and the inter Island flights can be as high as $95.00 each way between Islands. I would think for your short stay you would be better renting. Around $35.00 per day for everything and you get to try some new gear out.
Here is the e-mail of a gal who has some good rates on a condo ( she owns 3 in Kihei Maui. Her name is Betty.
Cheers!
Dave....
Winger
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Hey everyone,

Just got home from a work trip up in china creek in port alberni. There was some sail-able wind out there... anyone sailed there?

So when i got home my parents informed me that we are going to kailua... i would have liked to go to maui but im not paying for the trip :P still good sailing tho right?

bring my gear to hornby tomorow! ...juuusttt incase
Just stoked...
JL

Post by JL »

China Creek was our hot spot ~1983 - 86 ... Summer thermals, usually late in the day ... Back then the board of choice was the 'Hyper tech' .Bruce Peterson ( http://www.sailworks.com/history ) introduced us to them & knock offs were made locally for slalom racing @ China Creek) ... Ross Harrington was designing sails ... 86' was a transition year as I convinced a few people to try driving out to Nitinat so I wouldn't have to windsurf alone !!! $%^&^%# I'm showing my age here !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Dane,
Assuming you are going to Kailua on Oahu (and not Kailua-Kona on the Big Island) checkout the Naish website for Kailua, Oahu. The Naish folks (Robby's parents are still in Kailua) are super nice and they will help you with all your kiting/windsurfing questions, queries and quirks.
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Yep, thats where im going. Thats going to be a huge help, thanks. I saw a video robby did in kailua bay and he said it was his favorite place to sail!
Just stoked...
kitesick

Maui wind locations

Post by kitesick »

Hey KyakDoc. I will be in Maui mid November for a couple of weeks. I too am searching for the best spots to Kite. Any suggegtions will be helpful. Dane, when are you going ? Cheers, Darwin
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Do a quick search through here and you'll find info on all the spots (which there is really only 3 of). Lots of other info all over the web as well.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

hey kitesick,
Im going to kailua bay on the island of oahu.
Just stoked...
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Heyyyy...
So still super stoked to go to hawaii, but cant go galavanting all over austrailia as i will be joining the coastguard in the near future. Is there anywhere i drive to in the westfalia that is somewhat warm and i can sail just about everyday for a month or so? like california or something? This would be happening in 2 or 3 months. Is there a websight with the wind patterns for the world? like when there sailing season is?

Cant find time to sail much with the way im working so somethings gota change... and im not about to quit windsurfing.

Thanks ya'll
Just stoked...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

NorCal doesn't start kicking in until the spring from what I understand. I think Texas (corpus christi) or Florida is your best bet for winter wind in the US. Little bit further and you are in Baja, Mexico where your westy will blend right in and tacos and cervezas are cheap.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Well i would be getting back from hawaii around spring so mabey cali would work. Isn't it kinda skechy driving through mexico at the moment? around the border is supost to be badddd. I guess i couldn't just park at a beach in cali and sleep there eh? have to find campsight. Florida seems a bit far to drive. idano if the westfalia would make it! not exactly mint :P
Just stoked...