Island View CRD

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

filed my questionnaire, very thought provoking, encourage all to complete one :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Found this document on CRD website. Older 1989 IV beach management plan with bylaw updates to 1996.

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/islandview/d ... an1989.pdf

Check out on page 8 to see where windsurfing rates in importance on the list of activities. No seasonal breakdown of activities, but I would expect not so much tanning/relaxing on the beach in winter.

It may be of some use to the current park planning process to submit BWD statistics on days log at IV for windsurfing/kiting activities.
Sandy Beach

IV meeting

Post by Sandy Beach »

What Jellyfish suggested originally Nanmoo makes the most sense. If you are driving up the peninsula for the IV Meeting on Wednesday, March 16th, why don't you just meet at the Prairie Inn beforehand?

Jellyfish quote, 'I agree.... Let's get organized and represent/advocate our interests!
Why not gather/meet and eat at the Praire Inn pre-meeting. Anyone interested?
Thanks for bringing this to our attention JL'

Thanks again for those who will offer valuable input from the BWD community.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Filed my on-line input too, valuable even if you are going to be there at the meeting. Helpful I think if we can mention that some of us have been year-round users since early 1990's, others well before that.
We windsurf - life must be good!
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

CRD questionaire completed and sent. That unfortunately will have to be my contribution as I found out today I have to be in Vancouver that evening for work.
If I used the park for kiteboarding I would really want to be proactive at the meeting to encourage the current use of the grassy area. I am concerned that the people in the CRD who have the power to implement changes and restrictions understand the importance of a safe and usable launch area and that is why it is very important for the current users to participate in numbers. The chances of having a launch area with a cleared path to the beach (which would have to be done seasonally) will have more of a chance if they see the demand.
I don't feel my personal use of the park is threatened as windsurfers do not impact other users and don't require the land base for launching and landing. I hope the meeting will fairly address all these issues and restrictions will not occur.
I have talked to a few paragliders at IV who say the reason they practice there is because they require a permit at the Cook St site and nothing at IV. Restrictions happen..... this is a good chance to advocate the freedom we have enjoyed and hopefully will continue to enjoy... that is one of the wonderful attractions of Island View Beach! Sorry I can't be present Wed.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

My on-line contribution made. Hope to make the meeting too.

Post by 240 »

Filled out questionnaire. Could everyone please tell the others at the beach when you see them. This will totally help! We need numbers on this part of the process for sure. Showing up in the meeting will be very hard for most, so don't jump on the band wagon and slander people if they can't make it.
Thanks
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Nice work with the online stuff. As for the meeting...

Half of life is about showing up, the other half is luck.

EDIT: Second survey just went in from our house, not sure how they are collating them, funny they don't ask for any contact info as an option :roll: making the conspiracy theory come alive
Last edited by KUS on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
duckbill

island view

Post by duckbill »

I have never sailed island view but would like the option in the future. This new document could become precedent setting for other areas of the island, (ie pipers). I hope all goes well. A couple of suggestions; build some rapport with the organizers, show up early and get an early feel for the tone of the meeting. Why now are they wanting to revise this plan for the park? What is the real agenda and what group is behind it? ask lots of questions. good luck.
like a duck to water
JL

Post by JL »

Great advice ... Thank you 8)
Thermals are good.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I think that a lot of people will be going to the meeting and have already filled out the online stuff. They just don't want to post their name on a public forum due to possible reprisal/intimidating by organised bird watcher gangs or member of the dog walker family, we all seen documentary about them, scary stuff. :)

Online stuff done, will go to that meeting.

Can someone post exact dates/time of pre meeting?

I am wondering why would dog walker & bird watcher wouldn't want kiteboarding to be allowed anymore.

(Every time I launch/land or walk on the beach they always have a smile, seem very friendly and ask question about the sport).
JL

Post by JL »

I walk dogs @ I.V. & have never heard a whisper of complaint towards kiters or windsurfers 8)
Thermals are good.

Post by 240 »

That is why you are our front man Jimmy, they can't.
When is the PI thing happening?
BK

Post by BK »

Questionaire done... takes no time at all. Those that haven't yet, please take a couple minutes to fill out.
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for the reminder ... Done 8)
Thermals are good.