"Feels Like" and Humidity

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Kite Kook

"Feels Like" and Humidity

Post by Kite Kook »

A question for those who can shed some light... what is it that causes the "feels like" factor to go up, like today in Toronto? I thought it was humidity, but it is the lowest humidity and the hottest day yet!

It is currently 32 ("feels like 42" acc. to the Weather Network) whereas Honolulu is 24', "feels like 30". BUT, my question is WHY does it feel so warm if the humidity is lower in TO (58% today)? I thought the "feels like" thing was to do with the humidity, but I have observed no correlation...

In fact, the relative humidity is 67% currently in Victoria, higher than Toronto. Hmm....

:?:
Vive et Ama
bricktop

Humidex (how hot we feel)

Post by bricktop »

What is humidex?

Humidex is a measure of how hot we feel. It is an equivalent scale intended for the general public to express the combined effects of warm temperatures and humidity. It provides a number that describes how hot people feel, much in the same way the equivalent chill temperature, or "wind chill factor," describes how cold people feel. Humidex is used as a measure of perceived heat that results from the combined effect of excessive humidity and high temperature.

The Weather Service of Environment Canada uses humidex ratings to inform the general public when conditions of heat and humidity are possibly uncomfortable.

Table 1
Humidex
Range Degree of Comfort
20-29 comfortable
30-39 some discomfort
40-45 great discomfort; avoid exertion
above 45 dangerous
above 54 heat stroke imminent
Source: Environment Canada - Humidity
http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau ... 86C0425B-1
Note: Environment Canada describes the degree of comfort from humidex ranges slightly differently but their "calculations" of comfort do not discuss being physically active or working outdoors

He's back :)

Gerry
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Hey Gerry! Thanks for the reply. Yesterday was like a good day in Brazil - hot, but not Jeri hot...

That humidex explanation is kind of what I thought, but like I said, yesterday was the lowest humidity and the hottest "feels like". Maybe it's the weather network vs Env. Canada again.

Also, I think the key is relativehumidity. The absolute humidity (i.e., what we feel) rises with the air temperature. Still, I think there must be something to do with an inversion that I am not taking into consideration. :)

Hoping we all get the weather we need - hot days with some cool wind!

Peace,
Paul
Vive et Ama