Glasses and stuff

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Nimai

Glasses and stuff

Post by Nimai »

Hey folks!
I am relatively new here (been lurking for quite some time). I am heading up to the Nat for some lessons with Elevation next Wednesday. My lessons will be on the Thursday and Friday.
I wear glasses and don't want to lose them on the water. Do they kinda stay on with the helmet? Are contacts a better choice? Should I be investing in a pair of goggles? I've done some searching, and can't seem to come up with a solution...
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Welcome!! Contacts or laser surgery are your best bets. I've had a helmet pulled right off in a kitsurfing lesson - glasses not likely to stay put even with a sports cord.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I have worn contacts windsurfing for years and only lost one. The salt water works well to keep them comfortable in your eyes.

Good luck!
Give'R
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

I wear contacts when I sail as do others, with no problems. If you don't have contacts yet, wear only an old pair of glasses and purchase/fabricate a retention strap system that is comfortable under your helmut. Definitely protect your good pair of glasses safely for the drive home. Have fun. :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

TheLaw wrote:I have worn contacts windsurfing for years and only lost one. The salt water works well to keep them comfortable in your eyes.
Good luck!
indeed, I wore contacts for a while but at the Nat many years back in early season the fresh water is still predominant and I lost them or they became dislodged....late in the season this should work better. Suggest to wear sun glasses over the contacts.....Also a visor equipped helmet may help.

Also I keep my eyes open and had them dislodged during douchings so now I fly blind....just give me lots of room out there :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Martin

Post by Martin »

I wear prescription sunglasses for kiting.
In 6 years I haven't lost a pair yet, but I do check the tightness of my helmet strap before each launch. The helmet hasn't come off either.
Right now my sunglasses are Seaspecs (I had the polarized prescription lenses made locally) which come with a "back strap" to hold them on.
Before these I use to tie on a piece of "Q line" using a constrictor knot on each temple and this worked well.
Buy yourself a cheap waterproof watch if you want as those I have lost.
Right now I have a Casio with a 10 year battery, on sale at Target in Oregon for $25! Proud of that deal.
Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Definitely contacts. I would recommend Daily wear. You can turf them at the end of the day and put a new pair in next day. I wear a long bill baseball cap (with the tit on top removed :) ) under my helmet to shield my eyes and nose.

Also, a rear view mirror to ensure that KUS is not approaching from behind!! :D :D :D
I wish my TOW was longer!
Nimai

Post by Nimai »

KUS wrote:indeed, I wore contacts for a while but at the Nat many years back in early season the fresh water is still predominant and I lost them or they became dislodged....late in the season this should work better. Suggest to wear sun glasses over the contacts.....Also a visor equipped helmet may help.

Also I keep my eyes open and had them dislodged during douchings so now I fly blind....just give me lots of room out there :twisted:
Blind as a bat outta hell :twisted:

Looks like I'll be investing in a set of contacts and a goofy pair of rear view antlers to watch out for this KUS character :shock: ...
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Martin wrote: I do check the tightness of my helmet strap before each launch. The helmet hasn't come off either.
Well, I did have a few spectacular wipeouts in lessons :oops:

I do wear sports sunglasses, I think the knockoffs that help support this site, windsurfing. BUt I wouldn't recommend anything but really inexpensive ones for a newbie; certainly not prescription! Disposable contacts are the way to go - I rarely loose one, sometimes open my eyes underwater (which way is up, anyhow?).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mortontoemike wrote:Also, a rear view mirror to ensure that KUS is not approaching from behind!! :D :D :D
no worries about things from the rear, I am an upfront kinda guy if ya know what I mean.... and I see things I wanna see :wink: and still legal to drive without unlike some of you geriatrics who can't even be helped by glasses :D
yeah, sea specs over contacts the way to go :idea: ding
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

KUS wrote:and I see things I wanna see :wink: and still legal to drive without unlike some of you geriatrics who can't even be helped by glasses :D
Are you forgetting your lousy night vision and penchant for sailing long into the evening if the wind comes up at dusk and its been a long wind drought :?: :roll:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

KUS wrote:
mortontoemike wrote:Also, a rear view mirror to ensure that KUS is not approaching from behind!! :D :D :D
no worries about things from the rear, I am an upfront kinda guy if ya know what I mean.... and I see things I wanna see :wink: and still legal to drive without unlike some of you geriatrics who can't even be helped by glasses :D
yeah, sea specs over contacts the way to go :idea: ding
Hey. Who you calling a geriatric?
I wish my TOW was longer!
PA

Glasses

Post by PA »

Walmart has sports glasses ( similar to seaspecs ) for 50 bucks...will fit any sunglass Rx at a 1 hour Optical..they don't come off, especially wih a helmet. and thanks to marie youre not going to get drug headfirst through the bush anyway....they stay on even surfing , you can tie the around your neck or to a wetsuit strap to be ultra sure you dont lose them..Contacts DONT protect your eyes and who wants to fuck around getting used to them at Nitinaht anyway...signed... bjorn withspecs
Nimai

Post by Nimai »

I've had non-prescription contacts before. Not worried about getting used to them... They'll be an investment for the future, though. I'll need them for when I'm out on the water.