New, Big Guy: What to buy?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Seabass

New, Big Guy: What to buy?

Post by Seabass »

As the title say, I am getting started into this wonderful sport. I did my homework and practiced a lot on a trainer kite. It is now time to get more serious and get into the water. First thing, I am going to get a course. Now, my question is: I am a big guy (240 lbs). Even if I am new, I am planning to use the kite until my advanced stage. Also, I would like to start with only one kite (limited budget). What would be a good kite size for Victoria area?

Any help would help. Thanks
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

12 M Ocean Rodeo Rise will make you happy. and if you trash your new kite I can fix it up nicely. Go to Strong for instruction and they can teach you on your new kite.
curses - foiled again!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Pasta is right for the OR Rise, but 12m is quite small for being 240 lbs imo.

Been such a long time I use my 12m and im 200 lbs, even the 15m is not enough lots of times yesterday for example. I would definitively go with a 14m if not 16m. But then winter aproach, maybe 12m for the winter?

I think 14m is a better size for you though.
elevationkiteboarding

Post by elevationkiteboarding »

we have lots of clients that are your weight rocking a north 12m.rebel, tons of low end and range,they are a rock solid stable kite,we offer our lessons on them as well,come check it out,nitinaht lake elevationkiteboarding.com
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Seabass,

Another thing to think about is helpful advice on your local beaches, eg.Victoria,Gordon's,IV, Nitinat. This after you have taken lessons of course.

If you go for a kite brand that you see around on the local launches then you will have a better chance of getting help with questions on checking your bar,lines, relaunching tricks etc. Or maybe you just need a small part to get you back on the water.
If you go with North or Ocean Rodeo then you are pretty sure to find someone with similar equipment to yours on the beach or nearby.

Just something that I think is fairly important especially for the first year or two.

Welcome to the kiting world! It rocks!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I am 200 lbs dry and about 220 lbs wet with a 5 mm suit. I started flying a trainer kite last summer (Ocean Rodeo 2m 4 line SLE trainer kite) and found it great to learn kite control. I kept flying the 2m on land through the winter because it was not a great time to be learning full size kite control in the water. Winter here is too gusty, too windy and too cold to be learning. Thats why many local kiters head to Baja in the winter!

This past spring I progressed to a used 12m OR kite and a large board (OR Mako King - 165 x 45 cm). I found this to be a great learning combination in 10-20 knot winds. I would not recommend buying a new kite initially because when you are learning your kite tends to get dragged, crashed and generally beaten up. A 1-2 year old kite in good condition makes more economic sense. Lessons are essential along with LOTS of regular practise and practise of safety procedures (self-rescue, etc).
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

As Rocdoc said it is a good idea to get a used kite to start and once you get any kitemares out of the way then you can upgrade.
for example..

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5268

and buy a new bar and lines as you won't hurt that learning.
curses - foiled again!
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

Good luck with starting out, but I couldn't help notice the word budget in your post. There is nothing cheap involved with either windsurfing or kitting when it comes to gear. My experience with windsurfing is don't cheap out get the right gear the first time, you'll be happier in the long run.
JL

Post by JL »

Great tip Greg !!! I'll pass on the KD with CW :roll:
Thermals are good.