Nitinaht Lake

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
scarlet

Nitinaht Lake

Post by scarlet »

If due to a mishap a kiter is stranded on the far side of the lake near the lighthouse what is the procedure for rescue?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Lighthouse?? If you aren't in a lesson, I think the going rate for a seadoo pickup is a case of beer. Or maybe $20, whichever comes thirst. :lol: The purveyors of rides may have different/updated rates. But if worst comes to worst, and no-one notices you (but they will) you drift/swim to the head of the lake and walk back around the roads with your gear bundled. The river mouth is wade-able I hear, if you are on the wrong side. Presumably someone will drive down the road to pick you up; might be a long way in bare feet.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Nitinaht Lake

Post by KUS »

scarlet wrote:If due to a mishap a kiter is stranded on the far side of the lake near the lighthouse what is the procedure for rescue?
I'd say unless u made a CYA procedure BEFORE getting into that position, u'd be swimming :lol: John, better leave that kiting business alone 8)

But this does remind me that a Nat jetski operator agreed to rescue a friend the other weekend so we stopped looking for other options only to never see them (the jetskier) again...which kinda sucked. If you don't want to help (which is understandable given maybe you are dealing with students, r low on fuel, or are sick and tired of dragging sorry asses off the lake :roll: ), pls don't first agree to do it and then blow it off :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Where the #$%^& is the lighthouse at Nitinaht lake?

What area is that lighthouse? How far upwind it is, can you see it from the living room?
Sandy Beach

Lighthouse at the Nat??

Post by Sandy Beach »

Teabag wrote:Where the #$%^& is the lighthouse at Nitinaht lake?

What area is that lighthouse? How far upwind it is, can you see it from the living room?
Thanks for writing what I was thinking too :lol:
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

it appears he means either the island past the river or knob point...anyway, the other side of the lake.....BTW the trek into town along that road.....is not really going to work too well as scarlet points out, this is a valid problem. And cougars like that road too :?
The road around is a long ways from the village, takes upwards of 20 minutes from camp site to knob point and may (usually is) not passable. I would swim with a floatation aid before attempting to hike around....but then that's me :oops: Kite or sail with a buddy :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Oh, Knob Pt for a lighthouse? If thats what was meant, its way UPWIND of the campsite and not the territory for newbies to get into trouble anyway. Experienced kiters are likely to feel the wind slacking and sine downwind before they get into real trouble anyway.
scarlet

nitinaht

Post by scarlet »

Knob point is the area to which I was referring. I thought there was some sort of navigational aid there but it appears I was mistaken. Apologies!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I think that it be faster to secure your gear on the other side of the lake and come back by swiming. Asking/paying a sea doo once you reach the right side to bring back your stuff

How long would it take to swim across the lake if you take it easy? (never did it before).
duckbill

the swim

Post by duckbill »

I got caught a couple of weeks ago on the wrong sid of nimkish lake, a much longer reach than nitnat, wind died couldn't waterstart started swim dragging my board hoping the wind would pick back up, and it did after 3hrs. I was 3/4 back. I was warm the sun was shining the birds were singing, it was a lovely( but boring ) trek. I always have the attitude that if i can't get back on my own rescue I shouldn't be there. I always sail with a buddy or at least a shore spotter though.
like a duck to water
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Search self- rescue techniques on the web/forums. If you are not familiar with them, you probably shouldn't be doing the sport.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
themorb

Post by themorb »

I did the swim/wade/float/drift trek from the log dump back around to the campsite back in 2006 when I was learning to windsurf. (Hadn't figured out water starting yet.) I think it took about 3-4 hours. Very glad I was wearing booties. But my sail got a couple tears from branches in the shallow water.

One other time I held the back footstrap of my buddy's board with one hand, and my own rig with my other hand. And he schlogged back. It wasn't very pleasant for either of us.

The road to the log dump is currently passable with a 4x4 but VERY scratchy. I was there this summer and I spent a week polishing my truck after.

Probably best not to sail beyond your ability to get back :P
Ed

Post by Ed »

I swam further than that a couple of weeks ago at Cook St.
towing all my gear
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I have swam from one side to the other...with and without gear....be prepared for a swim as you are battling currents (yes currents!) due to tides. It tood me about hour to do without gear (I am not the fastest swimmer) and about 2 with gear...but wouldn't calling it swimming more like floating. if it is cranking windy out I would not recommend swimming across at all.

My two cents
Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I've swam the lake before too. I started when it was flat calm, on my way back the wind started building when I was half way across the wind was full on. I'm a strong swimmer and there were times I was nervous, the lake is much wider than you think when you start swimming it and if the wind is blowing the waves nailing you on your side take a lot out of you. A person swimming across that lake might not be seen from across the lake depending on the conditions. My two cents.