Shawnigan Lake?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Shawnigan Lake?

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm gonna be heading up to stay at a friends place there in a couple weeks.
I was wondering if there are any suitable spots on the lake for kiteboarding (haven't been up there in years). I assume there's probably too much boat traffic, but figured there's not harm in asking :)
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i windsurf and paddle on Shawnigan lake often and i have to say it looks like a horrible spot to kite due to gusty winds and very limited access. Westerly days typically swing to southerly locally and come right up the lake; i sail my sup off the boat launch on the east side at the village. There are trees, docks and old wood piers all over the place. a normal windy day is like 5 gusting 18. on the plus side, boat traffic is not a concern after labour day.
check a grassy field at west shawnigan park, in a SE winds there are more side-on. It is a swimming area but usually there is nobody there when its windy. :D good luck!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Thanks.
I know the grassy area on the west side (where we'd launch from in our regattas when I used to row), I just havent been there in ages and have never looked at it from a kiters perspective.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Let me know when its good for kiting.