Alpha Comptec (Plastic?) repair

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Alpha Comptec (Plastic?) repair

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I've got an Alpha 130f sailboard (was a little optimistic on its stability and buoyancy for SUP'ing) that is some sort of plastic that Alpha calls Comptec (polypropelene or ASA or ?) 2 Part question:
1) Does anyone know what type of plastic it actually is?
2) Is there a way to solvent or heat weld it (thinking heat will destroy the foam core). I've done lots of fiberglassing, as well as heat and solvent welding ABS, I dont think epoxy will bond to the plastic.
I was thinking before taking it to the dump (where it was headed before I saved it) of running it through the table saw and adding 4 inches of foam and plastic to the middle (and reinforcing with dowels) and add a strip of plastic on the outside
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Alpha Comptec (Plastic?) repair

Post by KUS »

SmallWaveSteve wrote:I've got an Alpha 130f sailboard I was thinking before taking it to the dump of running it through the table saw and adding 4 inches of foam and plastic to the middle (and reinforcing with dowels) and add a strip of plastic on the outside
hmm, I don't think so :roll: the plastic is really difficult to work with and repair. I have only had silicone sort of work, take it to plastics and paints, they may be able to match the material and suggest a weld stick :arrow:
Last edited by KUS on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

did i read that right - you considering lengthening the board by 4 inches by cutting then adding a section into the middle? :shock:

that plastic will be hell to work with and the end result will not be worth the trouble. you can pick up old boards for sup pretty easy. heres one
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... r_17199912

if you want a project, you can carve your own paddle!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Almost, opposite direction (widening). Thats why i'm trying to figure out what type of plastic it is.
if its similar to ABS for working with, I dont mind working with it in the slightest (I rebuilt the bodywork on one of my old motorcycles that was in 20 something pieces with some acetone, scrap plastic a soldering iron and some sandpaper)
I already talked to that person, as well as all the other big boards for sale on usedvic/craigslist and they're all 25-26 inches wide, which is too narrow (what I have right now).
I am making my own paddle too :P (aluminum and fiberglass though)

This is just for a spare set for friends to use keep in mind, a project to plug away at (I already have BWD's old mistral and spanker).
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

I'd guess the Alpha is Polypropolene, same as WW kayaks. Since you plan on cutting it anyway, just see what you find. Alphas were harder/stiffer than the ABS Bics so maybe there was some epoxy in there. another less drastic way to add stability is using the daggerboard if there is one. good luck! :)

btw nice blog.. did you see my tutorial on how to make a paddle from a hockey stick!

here's the link

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5069

8)
Last edited by downwind dave on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Thanks Dave, Its a slow work in progress, figured I should start documenting some of my hairbrained projects :p
No Daggerboard on this badboy, I dont think it would help all that much (my feet were underwater when I was standing on it, needs more volume before it'll float me)
I haven't seen the hockey stick paddle tutorial, I'll have to check it out though
(I'm going to do a cast of the spanker paddle blade & grips and lay fiberglass in them for the Al shaft I made).