WS-go-round

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

WS-go-round

Post by downwind dave »

i want to make a lazy-susan spinner for teaching my kid tacks and jibes (and hopefully some drunken fun at the lake). Anyone have some experience building one? i have plywood but need to decide on bearings/dolly wheels/golf balls or something, there are a few options out there. :D
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Didn't G-Daddy build one of these? I know I saw one out at the Lake.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Mandowind

Windsurf Board simulator in Hood River

Post by Mandowind »

I used a simulator in Hood River at Brian's Windsurfing. Suggest you request some photos from him via his website.

Cheers

Mandowind
redbaron
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by redbaron »

an old swivel/rocker sofa chair might have the right hardware?
windsurf247

stimulator

Post by windsurf247 »

I built a few of these when I used to teach. I tried a few designs but never found anything that was really accurate. The lazy susan was too fast and sensitive to weight placement. The golf balls were a bit better but needed a pretty stiff breeze to get any movement. Better weight balance though with the golf balls. I also seem to remember building one with roller balls. Lee Valley sells them http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... ,240,41060 They also sell big lazy susans if you want to go that route. The old rocker idea sounds neat too.
I was strapping a board to the simulator but I think it would work best if you could stand directly on it.
Good luck
:D
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Simulator

Post by Tsawwassen »

I found this on the Board Lady's website a while ago.
http://www.boardlady.com/simulator.htm
If you make one I'd like to hear how it turned out.
Good luck.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey rob, you can bet i will bring it down to the dock at 'canal beach' for some good times! the kids will dig it for sure. :lol:
Sandy Beach

land windsurf tutorials

Post by Sandy Beach »

still watching and taking it all in <a href="/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifcrg7i ... creen&NR=1" target="_blank"> Duck jibe tutorial </a> Will be practising on the grass, pier and then give it multiple attempts on the inlet at Canal Beach in PA :D
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

I just use an old skim board. Drill a hole in the middle and mount a universal through it, then attach sail. Works well for practicing tacks and ducks in low wind as well as being back winded, but doesn't recreate the feeling of actually turning through the wind.