Road to Punta San Carlos

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
rkwave

Road to Punta San Carlos

Post by rkwave »

Has anybody been on the dirt road from the highway to Punta San Carlos in the last couple of years?
How does it compare to driving the dirt road to Nitnat?

RK
RKWAVE
eastside

Post by eastside »

Drove in a couple of years ago, before the big rains there. Worse road than Nitinat but not bad really. Didn't need 4x4 but would need reasonable ground clearance. Any Van/truck/suv should be able to get in there without a problem unless road is way worse. Just email them. I sent them an email and they (I think it is Kevin) returned it right away. I'd do it again for sure. Beautiful place. Great longboard/SUPing if no wind. I went in the winter but had a bit of wind one day.
rkwave

Post by rkwave »

Thanks.
I've got a Dodge Caravan and I'm just trying to get a sense of how the road compares with the logging roads I've driven here in B.C.
From Google Earth it looks like a maze of roads.
RKWAVE
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

It is a bit of a maze. People tend to drive on the smooth hard sand in places rather than on the actual road where possible. I'd advise not driving the dirt at night the first time as it can be hard to discern the actual road compared to the side roads in the dark. Within sight of the campground the road goes through a difficult arroyo that is tricky especially with a trailer. Its steep and uneven.

I'd say the biggest issue in tire toughness. The road absolutely eats tires so bring two spares if you can. I trashed an 8 ply tire then upgraded to 10 ply and never had another flat in about 10 trips over the road. Granted I started driving about 20-30km/h after I got the first flat.....
rkwave

Post by rkwave »

That's good information.
I had the same issue with tires when I first started driving the logging road to Nitinat. I used to go 60 to 80 km/hr. I'd be guaranteed at least 2 flat tires every season, not to mention a blown transmission.
Now I drive 50 km/hr or less. Not a single flat tire in 10 years.
RKWAVE
rkwave

Post by rkwave »

I just returned from Punta San Carlos, AWT event.
The location is the best I've seen for wave sailing. Although smallish when I was there I can see the potential of the location.
Also, as plus, it is perfect for SUP surfing, especially in the morning.
One thing I didn't bring, which I will next time, is a mountain bike. it looks like there are some great trails.

The road was not difficult. I drove it with no problem with my Dodge Caravan. I had light truck tires and carried a full sized spare. It is just hard pack with loose gravel and lots of washboard. Not much different than driving an B.C. interior logging road.
I just took it slow, 20 - 30 km/hour, just to make sure I didn't get a flat or compromise my transmission. That made the drive about 2.5 to 3 hours from the highway. I mounted my gopro on my roof rack. I'll post a video on my website sometime in the next couple of weeks that shows the drive in. www.rkwave.ca
It is a spectacular drive through a desert ecosystem. So, driving slow wasn't really a burden.
I'm ready to do it again!!

RK
RKWAVE
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

rkwave wrote:had the same issue with tires when I first started driving the logging road to Nitinat. I used to go 60 to 80 km/hr. I'd be guaranteed at least 2 flat tires every season, not to mention a blown transmission.
Now I drive 50 km/hr or less. Not a single flat tire in 10 years.
10 ply or at least LT tires, avoiding Dodge Caravans and Fords, not a single flat or blown tranny in years :D
Thx for the info on the road in, Randy :idea: Glad you made it there and would love to go with you next time :twisted: Too bad very often there is not much wind there, eh? :? Not ideal for a guy who hasn't found a love (or even moderate interest) for SUP-ing :arrow: but I DO like the booze :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rkwave

Post by rkwave »

Well here it is.
If you want to know my Punta San Carlos adventure story:

http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino/SanCarlos2012.htm
RKWAVE