Quad Fin Review - Quatro 95L Starboard 92L

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GWIND

Tri

Post by GWIND »

The don't call them witchcraft for nutin.
Tri fin magic.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
mortontoemike

Re: Quads

Post by mortontoemike »

KC7777 wrote:Hey,

I had some ankle/fitness issues this Spring. But in 2013 I plan to be leading (or following) a pack of scared newbie wave on their first Oregon trip. So if I am too scared to sail at least I have someone to drink with.

.....mtm is in!

Likely last week of June and first week of July 2013?

Keith
Yeah I'm in ... but I'm not buyin' no Quad. If I can't sail it with one "thruster" it weren't meant for me to sail. Goya One here I come!
I wish my TOW was longer!
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

My buddy Sean in Hood River gets a new custom Quatro about every season, and his standing request is "send me the latest and greatest". This year Keith sent him a tri-fin. He figured he'd probably run a single fin in the Gorge and add the thrusters on the coast. Last I heard he was pretty happy with it.
eastside

Post by eastside »

In answer to KC's annual wave board/ Oregon Coast trip post:

For mostly lake sailing, with a coast trip, go with the Fanatic freewave tri. I had a freewave 87 and the board was great. Super fast, planes up easily and good in the waves too. Tri fins should just make it looser in small waves. I have sailed a tri fin and it is a good compromise between the quad and single fin.

On the other hand, I just came off a week on the 92 Goya quad. Can't think of a negative. Great in the waves, pops onto a plane in a jiffy. Good upwind. Also had it going mach 2 in nasty chop conditions (wind chop perpendicular to small ocean swell) on a 4.5, a la the Nat. Uncannily smooth. I have been wondering how Kus can handle his 92 L Goya quad in big winds and now I know.

Now that you have made a coast commitment, your fear factor would be greatly reduced by going to CB and learning how to wave sail in friendlier conditions. So get a board now and see you at CB!
KC7777

Quad or tri

Post by KC7777 »

eastside wrote:In answer to KC's annual wave board/ Oregon Coast trip post:
Hey Ralph, I guess 3rd year in a row of making this type of post qualifes as "annual"

Gonna research a bit more.....quad or tri.....85L or 95L.

I hear ya on the CB thing this fall/winter. If mtm would ever invite me over to stay at his eastside island palace then I may come over this fall.

Keith
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Done and done!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

believe it when I see it :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Tri-fins

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Just noticed that the Goya Ones are tri-fins in the smaller sizes of the Pro version (86L, 76L and 72L). When did that happen?

http://goyawindsurfing.com/boards/items/y2012/one-pro/

Tri fins available from Fanatic, JP, Starboard, Goya, Quatro.....I think 3 is the new 4. Makes a lot of sense to me as you can run it as a single in the Gorge or at Nitinat?

Plus I kind of want something different. Saw lots of quads at the Lake this past weekend.

Leaning to a 80L -85L Tri-fin board (approx 57-58cm width) and a 100L- 105L Freestyle Wave board (approx. 62-64cm width) for next year.

Really liking the Fanatic FreeWave 85L (which is now a Tri in 2013) or the new Fanatic TriWave 86L.

K
Last edited by KC7777 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Tri-fins

Post by winddoctor »

KC7777 wrote:

...Plus I kind of want something different...
How 'bout a uni-fin then? :lol:
Poultry in motion
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Maui past May-June I used JP Quad for first 5 days or so and then JP thruster (tri) for next 9. My home boards are JP Wave & FSW single fins 2010. Serious winds and waves were to be had.

Feeling - Thruster by far the preference, if used locally would ride it most likely 80% of the time as a single fin and 20% as tri-fin set-up. Never had true cross-off conditions but never hesitated going for bottom turns and felt better off the top with thruster than Quad. Strongly considering adding the two little fins to all mine as a winter project.

With limited wave time, thruster should be preferred IMHO. Interestingly enough - in clinic Matt P, McGain and Buzianis all said they would use singles to those who asked about going to quads.

Really now - just go to Maui and try all three types, then buy! :D
We windsurf - life must be good!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i call BS, we are evolving towards more fins not less. because it's awesomer.

Image :lol:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

When did a fin or skeg become a "thruster"?

"A thruster is a small propulsive device used by spacecraft and watercraft for station keeping, attitude control, in the reaction control system, or long-duration, low-thrust acceleration.".

I think Ron Jeremy was a thruster too. Um .... :? :? :?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KC7777 wrote:Hey,

Just noticed that the Goya Ones are tri-fins in the smaller sizes of the Pro version (86L, 76L and 72L). When did that happen?

http://goyawindsurfing.com/boards/items/y2012/one-pro/

Tri fins available from Fanatic, JP, Starboard, Goya, Quatro.....I think 3 is the new 4. Makes a lot of sense to me as you can run it as a single in the Gorge or at Nitinat?

Plus I kind of want something different. Saw lots of quads at the Lake this past weekend.

Leaning to a 80L -85L Tri-fin board (approx 57-58cm width) and a 100L- 105L Freestyle Wave board (approx. 62-64cm width) for next year.

Really liking the Fanatic FreeWave 85L (which is now a Tri in 2013) or the new Fanatic TriWave 86L.

K
You realize these are wave boards right Keith? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KC7777

Post by KC7777 »

Mike,

Fins = skegs

Thruster = a three fin board.....I stole this from somewhere:

the Tri-fin (also known as Thruster) is featured with three fins underneath the tail rather than the traditional single fin. The Tri-fin's additional two fins on the board allows riders better turning capabilities as well as greater thrust than classic longboards did back in the 1950s.

Nanmoo,

....was that sarcasm? Nice. I actually I expected a more derogatory, insulting, "you haven't sailed until you've been to the Coast crap" kind of response instead of the subtle "you know those are waveboards".....I think you are maturing right before our eyes.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

And the 5 fin is a Bonzer! Where will it end??

"NAISH PRODUCT MANAGER: MICHI SCHWEIGER
Michi Schweiger believes Thrusters are the perfect solution for allround waveboard performance - no matter if you're used to Quads, Singles or TwinFins. In fact Naish have gambled that giving you extra value for money in one board and letting dealers only risk stocking one model is best. Sounds good. Read on for more."

http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/w ... w2M3wxNjc=