rinse and dry ?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found

rinse and dry ?

Post by newbie »

I'm wondering how essential it is too rinse off sails, etc. after each outing. Also, can I store them wet, rolled in the bag, till next time??
chewy

Post by chewy »

Hey I am new at windsurfing as well and from what I read you should not store your sails wet as it fogs them. Also rinse them if they are covered with grit as this is abrasive to the mono-film/x-ply. My theory is if I am paying for a sail I am going to try to make it last as long as possible.
Russian Dood

never washed them

Post by Russian Dood »

never washed them and never had any problems.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

If you are sailing in salt water it is fine to roll the sail up and store the sail wet. Rinsing it is not necessary. Mildew is not really a problem with the salt content in the water. It's grit that poses a bigger threat to keeping mono looking new. You can try wiping the sail down with a towel to remove the grit if it's a concern. I just make sure I derig in a clean spot free of grit. If you are sailing in fresh water, drying the sail in the shade is ideal to prevent sun damage (not a big problem now!) and mildewing. Most sail makers give this advice.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

washing sails

Post by Bobson »

:cry: Soap is very expensive in Mother Russia!! Vodka.....not so much.
HA!! Just funning dood! :D
Russian Dood

vodka with soap.....

Post by Russian Dood »

Vodka with soap - waisted money. Soap that what makes it waisted.
As my dad told me: never mix Vodka with anything, don't spoil THE product.

And speaking of cleaning stuff with Vodka. That's what we do:
It's called "thin film cleaning". Drink some vodka (100 ml or so). Then breath on a cleaned surface (one breath per shot) and wipe vapor of your breath with the towel. Works great. After a third breath it either looks clean, or you don't care. :wink:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Whoa -- so how many bottles do you need to drink to clean a misty 5.0? What about big light-air sails? And kites must be alcohol poisoning material...
Russian Dood

Thin film cleaning

Post by Russian Dood »

As I said after third shot you don't care :wink:
And whatever you are trying to clean really looks good. I guess this method saves a lot of energy :wink:

Post by newbie »

well, that gives me alot to think about.... thanks for the info
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

depending on where you sailed last rinse the salt and sand....rinse EVERYTIME after Willows, masts too if ya can get the damn things apart....if you drive around with your quiver all the time like I do, some of the sails get "sanded monofilm" pretty good otherwise, like on the way to the Nat, :)
Store vertical on luff sleeve (I lean them against the van mirror in garage) and let drain for a day or so, esp with fresh water to kill chances of mildewing (summer only it seems) the mast sleeves don't bother with the older ones, once things are cloudy who gives a crap? :?

never noted film breaking any sooner or otherwise failing due to clouding, just sun exp.. still use and impact totally cloudy sail from "91 that hasn't seen much sun, while blowing right through clear 2003's, go figure :?:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
clownboy

Post by clownboy »

I rinse and dry my sails most times and they last forever. Too long, in fact. If you consume large amounts of gear, throwing out that which is no longer cool, you needn't bother as you'll replace things before it really matters. If, on the other hand if you want to use this sail for the rest of your life (like 20 years!) rinsing and drying really makes a difference.
The salt "corrodes" everything; sails, harnesses, wetsuits, aluminum; nothing really escapes the chemical and abrasive aspects of salt deposit. So rinsing anything after the ocean is good. And mildew and other fungii which thrive in any dampness can do some ugly things to laminates. Some black moldy stuff is in my kite forever. So drying is very good. A clothesline or a couple of pulleys somewhere like the garage or even outside will suffice. You can auto rinse in the rain that follows most winter sessions and let it dry when the clearing wind comes from the north. I think even just leaving it hanging outside till the next session would be better than rolling it up wet. (uv damage in winter being minimal)
I ALWAYS make an effort to dry and rinse if I can. But then I'm on a budget so I develope a deep affection for my gear.
flake

Post by flake »

don't bother it's going to get wet again anyway