Dead, diseased, distressed or injured sea mammals

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Dead, diseased, distressed or injured sea mammals

Post by KUS »

Hi- as an fyi thread, if anyone comes across this or similar concern:

=============================================
Sent: September 17, 2012 8:57 AM
To: Ian Crocker
Subject: sealion at Clover Point ramp
Importance: High

Good morning- I am uncertain if you are the correct authority but please be advised that there is a dead/decaying 400lb sealion right at the boat launch area at Clover Point. It has been there for several days or maybe 2 weeks. Dogs and children, walking tourists constantly parade past it. I do believe it is or will most certainly be a health hazard and should be removed. If you are not the correct group to contact, would you kindly pass along this information?

I have contacted Victoria Engineering Dept as well as the Victoria Fisheries offices.

======================================

Sent: September-17-12 12:24 PM
To:
Subject: RE: sealion at Clover Point ramp

Hello ,

The correct people to report to is DFO Marine Mammals Reporting line at 800-465-4336. I called them just now and this incident had been reported several days ago. Usually it takes a few days for whomever they contact regarding removal and hopefully this is the case at Clover Point, especially with a large animal such as a sealion in the summer weather. Years ago on the west coast of the Island I lived downwind from a dead whale and for several weeks the smell was atrocious.

The recording of the dead animals is also sent to their Incident Coordinator so DFO is tracking and monitoring the situation. We often call about dead seals on our properties/waterlots in the harbour, over the course of a year. Thanks for the email.

Ian Crocker
Manager, Inner Harbour Operations,
Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
#107-1208 Wharf St.
Victoria, BC V8W 3B9
250-383-8326 ext 248
cell 250-880-1654

===================

Thank you for contacting the City of Victoria Public Works.

This is under the jurisdiction of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Th(eir) Marine Mammal Incident Reporting Hotline

for sick, injured, distressed or dead marine mammals and sea turtles is 1-800-465-4336.

We appreciate your email.
====================

Thank you for your excellent response, much appreciated. Best regards. mk

===========
Fisheries was also contacted and deferred to the City for removal of any "garbage" as this would be considered and above the high tide mark. Will see what happens.
Last edited by KUS on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I know someone who will take away its head at least.
Only half joking! :shock:

There was one at Jordan River for a month or so. Ah, the smell down-wind.
Has it got to the point yet where it is one big writhing mass of larvae? That's a fun stage of decomposition.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

CHEK news now calling the dead sea lion a "seaside attraction" and that it will eventually wash away.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Just another good reason not to launch at Clover. Probably died from swimming in the putrid sewage effluent of 100,000 people. :roll:
My other hobby is channel surfing