***NITINAT CAMPGROUND AND BEACH CLEANUP***

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
gkacy

***NITINAT CAMPGROUND AND BEACH CLEANUP***

Post by gkacy »

Hi Crew,

For the last couple of years Tomoko and I have been doing it unofficially on our own towards the end of the season. I though that maybe there will be other volunteers that would like to help out.
In the past I have removed glass, nails, cans, bottles, broken camping chairs, clothes, wrappers and all kind of other garbage... Let's keep Nitinat beautiful !

When: Sunday, Sep 15 2013, 10AM
Where: Nitinat Lake Campground and Beach (let's meet by the the entrance to the beach not too far from the "living room" between the kiting and windsurfing areas)

Bring gloves and good spirits. I will be providing garbage bags.
Depending on the amount of people we will divide the place into sections and sweep through. I would not anticipate this to last longer than 1-2h. We will be done before the wind starts :)

We will try to throw away the collected garbage in the container in the village or truck it out if needed. We can leave the recyclables for the Camp Host.

Hope to see you there!

Greg
Last edited by gkacy on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Awsome you two!!! I wish I was going to be south Island this week cause I would drive out there to assist, sadly I am in Port Hardy. I truly hope others do join you and "contribute" to the beautifying of our beloved beach and campground
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Greg, awesome. Greg's photo should be a pick of the week simply because of the good will...!
If I get lucky enough to have a released-from-the-home-front ticket to cash in this weekend, I'll cash that in and I'll bring a few more garbage bags.
George
gkacy

Post by gkacy »

No worries Dale! I will pick few extra ones for ya :) And hope to see you George and others on Sunday!
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I can't make that day but every year-end (october-ish) I spend 3-4 hours going through the beach and campground picking it clean and taking it home like so many others. I also put up flypaper all the time and am thinking of painting and putting better toilet seats in some of the outhouses. (Yes, I know it's not my job - I just can't stand the filth and lack of maintenance)
skywalker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by skywalker »

This is an awesome thread. I can't make it this weekend, but for me every day is beach clean up. I never leave a beach without grabbing some plastic.

Also, I encourage all surfers/ kiters and winders find an ocean related charity and donate or volunteer. I support Sea Shepherd, but there are others like Surf Rider

and this

http://www.shorelinecleanup.ca/?utm_sou ... QgodwEAAyA
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Awesome. Good luck tomorrow. Hope it blows for the clean up crew, you deserve it. Can't make it 'cause I'm on my own with the girls this weekend, but I'll be there in the future.

We always clean up the site we stay at for a few weeks each year. Often pack out a fair amount of trash. Gotta leave it better then you found it....
gkacy

Post by gkacy »

The cleanup was a success. Ten or so people showed up. We have removed a whole bunch of stuff. Besides the the regular garbage, notably we have removed a school bus seat, truck horn, steel roofing materials, pipes (small and large). Big thanks to Ian for the use of his Jeep to truck away the large pieces. Thanks to Scott, Sherrie, Tomo, Ian, Adrian, Norbert, Sean and others !!! I have attached some photos (sorry, for the blurry pic)
Attachments
cleanup1.jpg
cleanup1.jpg (256.96 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
cleanup2.jpg
cleanup2.jpg (364.98 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
AC

Post by AC »

people should stop leaving their vehicles on the beach.
good work Greg
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Thank you Greg! Great work!
curses - foiled again!