Jordan River Erosion, Trees @Point

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Hump

Post by Hump »

juandesooka wrote:excavators on the beach retrieving logs....I suspect that's the way they've been doing it there for 50 years or more. Every 2-3 years for the past 20 for sure.

The rivermouth has been dredged every few years and I believe the dredging is also an excavator at a minus tide. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

It's basically an industrial zone free for all.....I don't think they worry too much about no stinkin' badges.
Here's how they used to clean off the bar in the rivermouth back in the '70's and '80's. Low tide and a couple of Cats.

With that in mind I've often wished someone would lead a drive to use a few pieces of heavy equipment during extreme low tides (minus) all along the western side of the river down the beach for a half mile or so. A variety of rockpiles and channels could be created fairly quickly then nature could sort it out. There is no reason to not have a half dozen or so good breaks further west from JR. IMHO.

Photo by Dave Smuntan

Take care.
The name Hump?
Well, it all started off innocently enough...
redbaron
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by redbaron »

Hump wrote:
With that in mind I've often wished someone would lead a drive to use a few pieces of heavy equipment during extreme low tides (minus) all along the western side of the river down the beach for a half mile or so. A variety of rockpiles and channels could be created fairly quickly then nature could sort it out. There is no reason to not have a half dozen or so good breaks further west from JR. IMHO.
If only there was a dozen uncrowded clean point breaks like that photo both east and west. Let say the construction of one rockpiles/gravel bar would cost $10000, Set up a fee of $10 a day, max 10 people per day, (windsurf/kite days are free) it would pay off in 100 surf days easily within 2 years :P
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I don't think money would the issue, it's the red tape/fines/environmental concerns you'd get caught up in. That said, a few rogue surfers with a pneumatic drill and a rock bar could make some huge improvements while avoiding those impacts.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Information Bulletin
For Immediate Release
January 29, 2015

Bank Stabilization Underway at Jordan River Regional Park

Victoria, BC– Construction at Jordan River Regional Park is underway until February 4, 2015. Crews will be conducting bank stabilization at The Point to shore up the area, which has been affected by recent super tides and storm surges. The work is required to protect the day-use area parking lot. Parking may be limited during construction. Park visitors are advised to use caution around the equipment and crews.

or media inquiries, please contact:
Laurie Sthamann, Communications Coordinator
CRD Regional Parks
Tel: 250.360.3332
Cell: 250-889.8030
Thermals are good.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Observed "bank protection" being installed today consisting of riprap (large angular blast rock boulders). This should stabilize eroding shoreline banks, but is very board and body unfriendly to surfers, windsurfers, and kites. Not very nice for kids playing either.

Hopefully, CRD will enhance existing beach nourishment practices to provide beach material to river side of point parking lot. This section of the shoreline has been "starved" of beach material nourishment for the last 10 years resulting in the observed erosion.
windeemanic

Post by windeemanic »

Point of fact through observation as a 25 year resident. The erosion at the point was never much of an issue due to WFP dredging the river on a yearly basis. The erosion became more accelerated with the introduction of the groin extending from the beach by the bridge. The dredging became less frequent due to the build up of gravel on the west side of the groin. Every couple of years the forest company would dig out the gravel and rip rap from there as well as from up river by the log sort. This would be spread out in front of the point and in front of the first parking lot. The changes at the point and the near by beaches was gradual but noticeable. Increased ocean behaviour and flooding in front of Breakers and along the highway between Sewers and the point incited Highways to build up the roadside with big rock and rip rap. Since then the erosion at the point has been extreme and progressive. The reality is that the lower townsite by the dryland, the dryland, and the point, are all man made. I anticipate more backwash on the point wave at high tide, more extreme flooding along the highway by Sewers, and maybe the odd sprained or broken ankles. Next CRD will want to put a railing along the shore because the wall is over 24 inches high.
Hump

Post by Hump »

I was at JR a month or so ago and noticed several changes along the beach.
It was just after the high tide big swell combo and there were two sets of tracks on the road made by traffic and it looked like there had been a whack of stuff on the road as well as a bunch of water had flown under the Breakers cafe too.
I also noted a SUP guy riding in the rivermouth way inside of where we used to ride many moons ago, so that would be on the build-up of gravel on the west side of the river mentioned above creating that. Fun little waves and out of the SE a bit. Looked fun.
I've got pics from the 70's showing a high tide big swell scenario at JR when the District had a dump truck with a belly blade that would sit down near the Breakers and after every big set would motor along and clear the logs and debris off the road.

In 1982, El nino year, the logging company sent a Cat down to the point to shove tons of debris off the parking lot and from in front of the clubhouse to clean things up a bit after an event. There was water and stuff under the sauna too.
That resulted from a 12' high tide and the biggest swell I saw in 12 years there. Dec. 16th, 1982.

Yowza! :D

Take care.
The name Hump?
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

It has been done. There is now about a 8' vertical retaining wall with 2 sketchy access points. One in front of the clubhouse the other back along the parking lot river side
Attachments
jr_2014.jpg
jr_2014.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

wow, what a sight!
the trouble with this type of selective shoreline hardening is the wave energy often ends up chewing up adjacent areas that are more vulnerable. Another issue will be erosion at the toe of the wall and eventual toppling failure.
It's hard to get too riled up about it given the long history of intervention by man along this piece of coast, from the dam cutting off sediment supply 100 yrs ago and the more recent dredging etc. The waves seem to endure. I am glad the trees might survive for a while yet.
Hump i am glad to see your posts and perspective pop up here, i have enjoyed your input for many years on the surfer forum. 8)
Hump

Post by Hump »

Geeze, somebody should downsize that new pic so the thread's not all screwed up.

Anyway, here's the pic of pal Larry in either '77 or '78 in between big sets with his truck parked in the wrong place.
You can see the works truck with the belly blade way down just east from the Breakers.
Note also no Shakeys then and the beginnings of what JVD hoped to build in behind the gas station. He wanted to live upstairs and have his office downstairs. LOL

Good times.

Take care.
The name Hump?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Please Post more old photos! It's pretty cool to see for the younger folks round here.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

x2 on what Tony said...did I just type that? : ) Seeing these older pictures is very cool.
Give'R
Hump

Post by Hump »

Here's a couple of oldies.
I'm battling kidney stones right now so not at my best and can't sit very long either but I'll get some out as we go along.

Here's the rivermouth bar before the Cats came and scraped it down.

Photo by Dave Smuntan

Here's the late JVD shoulder-hopping me on a good wave at the point.
He pulled back at the last second but by then he'd caved it in on me.
Bloody kooks anyways. :lol:

Photo by Trudy Harvey

Take care.
The name Hump?
Hump

Post by Hump »

Feeling better and hoping it's nearly over.
Don't ever get kidney stones if you can help it.
Youch!!

Anyway, here's JVD and his Dad, Don Van Dame with an early creation from the little shaping bay attached to the barn behind the Shell station.

Note also what "hipsters" looked like back then....the hat, the sandals over socks, the fixie bike etc. LOL

Here's a pic of the sign made by Rusty Van Dame (with help) circa 1970 or so.
That's Jim and his Dad with Gord Willoughby (I think) in the pic.

Gotta go as some food just arrived and I'm famished.

Take care.
The name Hump?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Where was the gas station?