Nitinaht 2015: Road/Camp updates

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That little bit of rain a week ago made things way worse. Worst section is from Youbou to the end of the lake. Still pretty decent after that. 7.5/10

Didn't see anyone collecting fees all weekend and the poop stools ran out of tickets to ride early Saturday. Someone even shat on the floor/seat of one near the kite entrance which was a pleasant discovery in the dark.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Camp seemed very well run this weekend to me. 2ticket collectors doing the regular campsites. Maybe they missed you cause you were on the beach Moo?They have a big whiteboard in the office with everyone's name beside the numbered spots and the date they are paid up to. I saw cleaners doing the rounds of the outhouses both mornings. They were sparkling compared to normal. And the tp was refilled with big multi rolls. I think the number of people swamps the numbers anticipated by the ministry planners that likely dictate the number of times a day the bogs are cleaned and serviced.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Weird. We found the outhouses along the front row were pretty rough after Friday. I dabbled around and in several and was supplying my own shit tickets yesterday and today. That said, there was lots of hand sanitizer in case your forgot your tickets to ride.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

nanmoo wrote:That little bit of rain a week ago made things way worse. Worst section is from Youbou to the end of the lake. Still pretty decent after that. 7.5/10...

There's a lot more exposed big rocks right now than usual for the remainder.

Was is anyone on here who took out their oilpan on the rock before the switchback around the bog on saturday?
winddude

Post by winddude »

The road seemed better on sunday evening then sat, there were some freshly grated sections.

Saw 5 massive elk walking accross the road right at the start of lake cow-chicken
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

SmallWaveSteve wrote: Was is anyone on here who took out their oilpan on the rock before the switchback around the bog on saturday?
That one sorta came out of nowhere, I don't remember it there before, not like the always-rough Red Rock etc. - held my breath and engaged my core muscles when i went over it at 70K. Luckily the Sprinter has good clearance! I think i was generally about 10 km/hr slower on the drive than when its been good. It would be nice to see some grader work!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

more force 4 wrote:
SmallWaveSteve wrote: Was is anyone on here who took out their oilpan on the rock before the switchback around the bog on saturday?
That one sorta came out of nowhere, I don't remember it there before, not like the always-rough Red Rock etc. - held my breath and engaged my core muscles when i went over it at 70K. Luckily the Sprinter has good clearance! I think i was generally about 10 km/hr slower on the drive than when its been good. It would be nice to see some grader work!
That one has always been exposed for a couple years at least, though it's not normally as exposed as it is right now, I've puckered on that one a enough times to remember to look out for it now :D
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

<b>The road has finally been paved!!!*</b>

*first 50m only, but the rest is awesome except the first and last 2km.

Did the Port Alberni way out, it sucks, longer and hills with mega braking bumps horrible washboard. Won't do that way again unless required.
redbaron
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by redbaron »

How long did it take you to get to long beach from nat?
skipro

Road update

Post by skipro »

Grader was working friday and it was very good. Even better coming out sunday. Could go 50kph on most of it in my lowered honda fit(i know,i know,). Water had infiltrated much of the route so it was like smooth packed clay.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

redbaron wrote:How long did it take you to get to long beach from nat?
Left Nitinat at about 4:30 pm, got to Incinerator at 7:15 pm. Stopped in PA to check out the kite launch, use the internet to make the call whether I should kite there or if a sunset LB session was realistic and hit McDonalds for some good stuff, so that all maybe cost 20-30 minutes.