Looking for a Vacation Spot

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I think I'm going to have to get an alaska credit card!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

SmallWaveSteve wrote:I think I'm going to have to get an alaska credit card!
Last time i was on an Alaskan flight i filled out their credit card application. Eventually got a reply saying "not offered in your jurisdiction" or something like that, I presumed because of a Canadian address. Many decades ago I had an Alaskan flight points card: after just a few flights I had enough points for one free first class and one back-of-the-plane ticket from Victoria to Maui. I doubt its so generous now, but I do like Alaskan! Moo, are you on points accumulated through flights, or credit card, or a combination?
jbatsea

alaska credit card

Post by jbatsea »

My wife has an Alaska credit card. We live in Vic, and she gets a $50 companion fare or two a year. You might have to call alaska 1-800 and ask for the application for CDN card, not the US card.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: alaska credit card

Post by KUS »

jbatsea wrote:My wife has an Alaska credit card. We live in Vic, and she gets a $50 companion fare or two a year. You might have to call alaska 1-800 and ask for the application for CDN card, not the US card.
it is $110us ($350Can??) for companion once/yr, card $75us/yr....if u fly and buy a lot works well, if u don't companion I think ur better off with seat sales/avion type ...Alaska also flies only certain destinations and connectors are killer opposed to Expedia deals ...there's a method behind the mad deal...I'll sell you my companion pass for 2015 for my annual fee and some beer!!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

My connections add up to total transit times to and from Peru of 16h and 21h, but the options ranged right up to 38h, so if you have some flexibility you can still opt for the most direct routes.

There was a thread on BWD that captured all the relevant CC info, but I just did a search and couldn't find it.

Signup bonus was 25,000 miles, which is basically a return flight from anywhere in South or Central america. Pretty sweet deal for free. Companion fare is $99 USD and good for anywhere Alaska flies direct, including Costa Rica now I believe, but for sure to Hawaii or Mexico. Use companion fare one year, miles the alternate year, then no other card matches. Unless you want to fly across Canada, then it is not for you. Just for reference sake I did an expedia search and Peru would have cost $1200-$200 per ticket, so even with a 2% cash back card we are still $700-$1400 ahead.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:Signup bonus was 25,000 miles, which is basically a return flight from anywhere in South or Central america. Pretty sweet deal for free. Companion fare is $99 USD and good for anywhere Alaska flies direct, including Costa Rica now I believe, but for sure to Hawaii or Mexico. Use companion fare one year, miles the alternate year, then no other card matches. Unless you want to fly across Canada, then it is not for you. Just for reference sake I did an expedia search and Peru would have cost $1200-$200 per ticket, so even with a 2% cash back card we are still $700-$1400 ahead.
I could fly half way to Maui with my signup bonus....and there's tax on the companion, $110 USD, then don't forget the $75/yr for the card which I have now paid for 5 years, only one companion use (granted I try not to fly much) and all of my purchases, thousands a month every year....barely get me a full flight return to Maui.....and if you keep checking Expedia and adjust your dates, you may come up with different numbers. Still sweet price you scored, hate the delays with the connections, rather pay more but sounds like you did well. Also nice to know they fly to CR, maybe one day :roll: When's the next Ativan sale?? :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

nanmoo wrote:My connections add up to total transit times to and from Peru of 16h and 21h, but the options ranged right up to 38h, so if you have some flexibility you can still opt for the most direct routes.
Thats's nothing, one flight to brazil I was over 30hrs of flying and connections, then the transfer to the resort we were waiting for another flight 3 or so hours later which was delayed by a few hours, one of them had his luggage which was another hour or two, than about a 2hr drive to the resort. I was well over 40hrs from my house to another bed.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KUS wrote:then don't forget the $75/yr for the card
Phone, complain, threaten to switch cards. Annually. Fee gone.

Flying to Maui does not make sense on points, right now you can fly return for $400 CAD with Alaska. That is where the companion fare comes in, even with $75 card fee and $110 companion fare that is still over $200 off for doing nothing other than filling out a form once. But there is no question the south and central america deals are insane on miles and it saves you money. Same for some southern US spots, sometimes you can get to San Diego from Victoria for 5000 miles. Bottom line though, as Kus points out, is an air-centric rewards card only makes sense if you utilize it to fly at least once a year. We won't likely use our companion fare this year which sucks, but the card is still a huge net benefit.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Off to a good start. Waived $150 oversize charge for 3 surfboards, 2 twintips, 4 kites and 3 bars. Wahoo!

... and holy crap traveling with kite gear is a breeze compared to my usual windsurf routine. Now for the painful part.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Back in 95 when my buddy flew with his windsurf gear to join us in LV. He had a one board does all, 2 sails, 2 masts, 2 booms type of quiver. One board bag and everything all bundled into one neat pile with a small piece of plywood mounted with 4 good quality castors strapped to the bottom of the whole package. I don't remember it being particularly difficult to walk through the airport as you dragged it around with a short leash much like you would with a small dog (OK a very large dog). My point is...enjoy whatever it is that you are doing without comparing. I'm sure we've all heard some kiter going on about the benefits of kiting over windsurfing a million times and frankly it's just a bit tiresome. :roll:
Enjoy your trip and can't wait to hear some stories about how awesome this place is that you had to struggle to carry all your kite gear to. :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

nanmoo wrote:Off to a good start. Waived $150 oversize charge for 3 ... Now for the painful part.
Oh no! They're cavity searching you again?!
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Come on Ray, it's my first kite trip in my own thread. Let me lament once about the lighter/smaller/easier package. It's a new experience for me. Especially in light of the fact I also windsurf why wouldn't I compare! ? Sour grapes bru!
Last edited by nanmoo on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

winddoctor wrote:
nanmoo wrote:Off to a good start. Waived $150 oversize charge for 3 ... Now for the painful part.
Oh no! They're cavity searching you again?!
Oh no?! It's free. I usually pay $50 downtown for lesser service. Oh yes!