Women's Windsurfing Clinic

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
windsurf247

Women's Windsurfing Clinic

Post by windsurf247 »

Hi all. I am setting up a women's only windsurfing clinic at Gyro Beach (Cadboro Bay) on Saturday June 4th from 1-5pm. The clinic will be free of charge and is open to all women. The goal of the clinic will be to introduce people to the sport of windsurfing, let everyone try it on the water and to answer any questions about the sport or the local windsurfing community.

I teach windsurfing through Coastal Cycle and Watersports so I already have 2 START boards and numerous small rigs. I also have a simulator. What I'm looking for is a few volunteers who might be interested in helping out and also some more beginner friendly boards/rigs. I'd like to get 4 or 5 boards going at once, as well as the simulator on the beach. I'm hoping to have someone at each board who feels comfortable enough to show a beginner the basics of uphauling, sheeting in etc. JUst enough to feel what windsurfing is like.

If anyone is interested in volunteering for the afternoon (or part of it) or has some beginner friendly equipment they could loan out for the day, please get in touch with me either through this site or by phone.

Since this clinic is still in it's planning stages, please feel free to make suggestions. If this clinic goes well, I'll probably organize another one at Nitinat and possibly another one for kids.

It's been awesome for me having a spouse who windsurfs so if you'd like to get your wife/girlfriend into this sport, this is a great opportunity. At the very least, she might finally understand your addiction :D

Thanks,

Rob Gentleman - 480-4918 or
dwd

Post by dwd »

i can loan out my old 11' alpha to anyone that wants to go try and meet women! :D
Stephen

Weekend session

Post by Stephen »

My wife Tara is excited to go. If you still need a volunteers I would be happy to come and help. I have only been windsurfing for a year so the basics are still fresh in my mind. I can bring down my Fanatic 320 as well.

Cheers,
Stephen
Glenda

Board for use

Post by Glenda »

Hi Rob,

You are welcome to borrow the Start board that I bought for the children. I would love to see more women in the sport!
Many Long Days

Girlfriends

Post by Many Long Days »

My girlfriend has basic experience (sailing at Nitinat on the light winds, able to cross the lake but no footstraps yet, no water start), and she would like to show her girlfriend the sport, hoping to attract her to come to the lake also. Our gear is not great though; she learned on a skinny alpha 11 footer and it is too tippy to really give someone a good time on their first tries. If she could make use of your gear she would like to "bring a friend"

:)
windsurf247

women's clinic

Post by windsurf247 »

Thanks Glenda. That would be great. Any chance you might be able to come out that day as well?? I'd love to get some women volunteers involved, especially people like yourself who are new to the sport. You'd be a great role model :D

Many Long Days: tell your girlfriend that she is more than welcome to come out with her friend. I'm hoping to have 4 or 5 wide style beginner boards there so there should be lots of opportunity to get out on one. If your girlfriend is interested in helping out, that would be great too.
GlendaGail

Loan of board

Post by GlendaGail »

Hi Rob,

I won't be able to assist this weekend but you are welcome to use the board and rigging. Call me tonight 385-1425 and we can arrange pick up or drop off. Where are you advertising?

Cheers,
Glenda
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

more women

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

yes we need more women in the sport - MORE WOMEN!!!! ....and I mean this in a really sincere way! :lol:
curses - foiled again!
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

wetsuit

Post by BigD »

My wife has a friend that is interested in coming out, anyone know where the best place to rent a wetsuit is? Small-Med women's.
windsurf247

wetsuit rental

Post by windsurf247 »

Sports Rent has rentals. I've called them and warned them about the flocks of women that will be banging on their door Saturday morning :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

you can borrow the two women's, one men's that I have at my place but I will be mainlanding on the weekend so maybe drop by to get these for use, W247, tonight or tomorrow?? Otherwise I'm out and about.... 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windsurf247

WOMEN'S CLINIC

Post by windsurf247 »

Hi all. Just a reminder that the women's windsurfing clinic will be on tomorrow at Gyro Beach. Thanks to all that responded with offers of gear. I have 3 START boards lined up as well as some GO boards. Many thanks in advance to the volunteers who will be helping out. It should be lots of fun for all.
I'll give an apres-clinic report and try to snap a few pics :lol: .
HAppy sailing!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Womens' clinic

Post by Bobson »

I will try to get down and take some pics too. I have new batteries...Ya! :D
windsurf247

clinic

Post by windsurf247 »

Dood....I thought you lived at Nitinat on the weekend :lol: If I'd known you were going to be around, I would've roped you into this gig long ago. It's always good to have a local celebrity such as yourself to bait the masses with. MAybe I can put a wig on ya and we'll introduce you as BOOBSON!
Hope to see you there buddy!
Cheers
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

t-shirts and pics

Post by Bobson »

Hey W52.3, I'll bring some BWD shirts down when I come so if you have people that want them I'll have them. I'll probably be there by 2:30pm.

See ya there DOOD!!

ps. maybe there'll be enough wind for some formula fun..??